Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Looking for Gunsmith In Chambersburg

I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Chambersburg area. As of now there are only two in this area I know of and they are both always busy with work up to their noses. Just wondering if any of you know a gunsmith in my area that does barrel work and will use a reamer I have purchased specifically for a build. I'm not in a big hurry about this since I only have the barrel and reamer and have yet to acquire an action. Any info is appreciated.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Looking for Gunsmith In Chambersburg

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
    I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Chambersburg area. As of now there are only two in this area I know of and they are both always busy with work up to their noses. Just wondering if any of you know a gunsmith in my area that does barrel work and will use a reamer I have purchased specifically for a build. I'm not in a big hurry about this since I only have the barrel and reamer and have yet to acquire an action. Any info is appreciated.
    What two are you referring to. There is the guy in Mercersburg (Don Horowitz), though I don't know if he has a full lathe setup. He has done a little work on a S&W for me a few years ago, and I bought a 243 (consignment gun) from him last fall.

Phil Rank, in ST. Thomas allegedly has been to a gunsmithing course, but i have absolutely no knowledge or experience concerning him or his work or shop.

Jim Culler at Ft. Chambers is blackpowder arms.

I know that Mr. Collins in Waynesboro would be the first place I would look, if I were in that market. He is an oldtimey kind of guy, and I think would tell you the straight and true, with no BS, from what few delaings I have had with him. I have no idea what kind of work he does, but he does have a lathe and seems to know what it is for.

The only one I really knew was Bob Shives, but he took employment in that Great Gunshop In The Sky fifteen years ago.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Butler County)

could you post up the info for the gunsmiths that you do know of? I need a barrel threaded for a muzzle brake, and want to see if its easier to have someone else do it rather than buy the die and do it myself
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(Franklin County)

Don Horowitz- He does barrel threading, dont know prices 717-328-9632 I dont think he does much lathe work anymore.....
    Last edited by crowsnest2002; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
    Don Horowitz- He does barrel threading, dont know prices 717-328-9632 I dont think he does much lathe work anymore.....
    Yes, but who are those other two who ". . . are both always busy with work up to their noses" ?? Inquiring minds, and all that. . . .

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Butler County)

thanks for posting that info crowsnest2002. If you know of any others, post them or I will wait for others to respond
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(York County)

The Hunters Den in Rouzerville can do your barrel work, Contact Stu McFerren the owner