Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Group Size

(Philadelphia County)

Question Group Size

Hello all, I am a bit confused about group size. I have seen numerous pictures of shot groups measured outside edge to outside edge. Doesn't it matter how far the shot group is from the bulls-eye? I am referring to rifle shooting.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Group Size

Certainly the goal of targe shooting is hitting the bullseye or whatever else your aiming at. Most instructors will state that they as teachers will make a shooter out of someone who has a good group within a certain space on the target irregardless of bullseye hits as opposed to someone who hits the bullseye every now and then, but has shot placements all over the target with no consistency. Those who shoot tight groups can be taught how to make adjustments to reach the goal of hitting the bullseye. On the other hand, someone who is all over the target is more diffucult to adjust.
    I hope this answer is consistant to your question.

(Lehigh County)

That is an incorrect measurement. Group size is typically defined as center-to-center distance of the two shots furthest from each other. Alternatively, I've seen folks do that edge-to-edge and then subtract the caliber of the weapon. (Giving a very similar measurement.)

C45man nailed the rest of it.

-L.
    Software trumps hardware.

(Philadelphia County)

C45man; govmule84,

Thank you c45man and govmule84. I appreciate your responses. I understand what you are saying, it is more important to have a tight group as opposed to a random shot that hits the bulls-eye. I am sorry I took so long to acknowledge your responses. I will soon be purchasing a Savage Mark II rimfire to learn with. My next rifle will be a Savage in .223 or .308 after I develop basic marksmanship skills. By the way I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have been advised to use a left handed rifle; since I am new to rifle shooting, I wont have to relearn anything. Please advise. Thanks again.

Tim

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillietimothy View Post
    C45man; govmule84,

Thank you c45man and govmule84. I appreciate your responses. I understand what you are saying, it is more important to have a tight group as opposed to a random shot that hits the bulls-eye. I am sorry I took so long to acknowledge your responses. I will soon be purchasing a Savage Mark II rimfire to learn with. My next rifle will be a Savage in .223 or .308 after I develop basic marksmanship skills. By the way I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have been advised to use a left handed rifle; since I am new to rifle shooting, I wont have to relearn anything. Please advise. Thanks again.

Tim
    Are you planning on shooting iron sights or a scope? Are you shooting at stationary or moving targets? Are you planning on shooting with both eyes open or closing your non-aiming eye? I'm a lefty and right eye dominant and I shoot left handed. and I do very well. Now, if you are planning on shooting at a moving target with iron sights, then eye dominance will come into play because it will benefit you to keep both eyes open to help track the target. Otherwise, I see no other reason if you are right handed and left eye dominant to shoot left handed.
    Last edited by Hawk; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Hawk,

Thanks for weighing in. I will be using a scope. I am new to the shooting sports and I was advised by others to learn to shoot left handed since I am left eye dominant. I must say it feels much more natural to hold a rifle left handed. I keep my right eye closed; at this point in my shooting education, I doubt I will be shooting at moving targets. My primary focus at this point is learning to shoot at the range, learning to zero my rifle, and learning to adjust my scope. As I progress, I would like to try silhouette and maybe high power once I feel comfortable. Opinions on this seem to be mixed, the comment I hear most is - It is easier to learn to shoot left handed than to re-train your eyes. Interesting fact - I shoot a pool stick left handed and never knew why, other than it felt more natural. I realize now that I needed to be able to use my left eye. I appreciate your input, I need to resolve this so that I buy the appropriate rifle. I will keep you posted.

Tim

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillietimothy View Post
    Hawk,

Thanks for weighing in. I will be using a scope. I am new to the shooting sports and I was advised by others to learn to shoot left handed since I am left eye dominant. I must say it feels much more natural to hold a rifle left handed. I keep my right eye closed; at this point in my shooting education, I doubt I will be shooting at moving targets. My primary focus at this point is learning to shoot at the range, learning to zero my rifle, and learning to adjust my scope. As I progress, I would like to try silhouette and maybe high power once I feel comfortable. Opinions on this seem to be mixed, the comment I hear most is - It is easier to learn to shoot left handed than to re-train your eyes. Interesting fact - I shoot a pool stick left handed and never knew why, other than it felt more natural. I realize now that I needed to be able to use my left eye. I appreciate your input, I need to resolve this so that I buy the appropriate rifle. I will keep you posted.

Tim
    If it's comfortable to shoot lefty then shoot lefty. Being a lefty in a righty world however has it's draw backs. If you're in the market for a lefty bolt gun they are out there if you want one. However, when it comes to selling it you may have a harder time. As I said, I shoot right handed guns, left handed, including two bolt guns. Bench shooting is not really a problem, since you don't have to work the bolt quickly, or very often.
    Toujours prêt