Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default S&W Revolver Triggers: Are They All So Nice?

Being new to wheel guns, I've only had 4 pass through my hands:
    Ruger GP100, Ruger SP101, S&W 629-1, S&W 36.

Just two brands, so I can't speak from any kind of real experience. But, the triggers on the Smiths are amazing, and in single-action, the trigger pull's maybe .5 grams? I'm kidding of course, but I've never felt a lighter S/A trigger than on either of the Smiths.

Now, having said that, other than at the range, I don't think I'd ever consider cocking either of the S&W revolvers. The triggers are so light, it would (especially under stress) seem to be a disaster waiting to happen.

Though I'm not sure about the model 36, I'm almost certain that the 629-1 hasn't had any trigger work done on it, as owners of non-tweaked 629's seem to agree (re: super light trigger in S/A).

So, is this just a S&W thing, or are there other revolvers with equally nice triggers? I'm assuming there are, but the two Rugers I've had certainly aren't examples.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: S&W Revolver Triggers: Are They All So Nice?

Is the question "Are all S&W triggers nice?" Or is the question "Are all S&W triggers nice compared to other revolvers?"

Different Smith guns feel different in the trigger for a couple reasons. I'm no expert, but different frame sizes have different mainsprings, and this can affect or limit what a trigger feels like or what can be done to it.

I've felt some new J frame triggers that were painful to pull. I guess sometimes guns leave the factory totally bone dry and sit on a shelf somewhere until I show up and ask to dryfire them.

YMMV.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

In wheelgun flavors, I have four S&Ws, three Colts, two Rugers and a Taurus. All of the S&W and Colt triggers I've experienced are very light in single action, and break crisply. The Ruger triggers in single action also break cleanly, but the trigger pull is a little harder than the S&Ws and Colts -- maybe 5 lbs versus well under that for the S&W and Colts. In double action, again the S&Ws and Colts are buttery smooth and pretty close -- the older Colts have a bit more "stack" toward the end of the double action trigger pull than the S&Ws -- not worse than the S&W in double action, just a little different. My Taurus is DAO and had an action job to smooth out the trigger pull; it's exceptional and on par with any of my other wheelies, but since it's not a stock gun I can't really compare it to an out-of-the box Taurus.

So, while its not just an S&W thing, IMO you are right that S&W wheelies typically have great triggers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Is the question "Are all S&W triggers nice?" Or is the question "Are all S&W triggers nice compared to other revolvers?"
    Good observation. Actually, I guess it's both.

Are all S&W revolver triggers as nice as those on the 629 and 36?
    How do S&W revolver triggers compare to those among the other brands?

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Different Smith guns feel different in the trigger for a couple reasons. I'm no expert, but different frame sizes have different mainsprings, and this can affect or limit what a trigger feels like or what can be done to it.

I've felt some new J frame triggers that were painful to pull. I guess sometimes guns leave the factory totally bone dry and sit on a shelf somewhere until I show up and ask to dryfire them.

YMMV.
    Which leads me to wonder if part of the reason they're so nice (in my case) is because they're both used (not sure how well used). I'll have to pay closer attention when I fondle some new Smiths.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Beaver County)

I have a S&W 500 which is built on their X-Frame. The trigger is great. Nice clean and crisp. Not that I have a bunch of wheel gun exp but compared to other guns I have it's definately up there in smoothness as guns I have with professional trigger jobs just not related to trigger pull weight. The 500 has around 600 rounds through it so far and has been just as smooth as the day I bought it.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

I am a big fan of S&W factory triggers, on both revolvers and semi-autos. I have a Colt .38 Officer's Model that has a great trigger too, but not better than my S&W's.

To answer your question I would say it's a S&W thing as far as they have nice triggers, but so do some other companies. And any revolver trigger (or any trigger) can get worked on to be improved.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Good observation. Actually, I guess it's both.

Are all S&W revolver triggers as nice as those on the 629 and 36?
    How do S&W revolver triggers compare to those among the other brands?

Which leads me to wonder if part of the reason they're so nice (in my case) is because they're both used (not sure how well used). I'll have to pay closer attention when I fondle some new Smiths.
    Used helps. When I first got into wheel guns the advice I was given to improve the trigger on a j frame was dry fire it a couple hundred times.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: S&W Revolver Triggers: Are They All So Nice?

Iam a big S&W fan. I agree that the triggers both revolvers and semi-autos
    are awesome,nice and smooth and crisp.

(Montgomery County)

Different firearms, different "feel." The Smith and Wesson modern revolvers (since about 1965 or so) have an advantage over most other revolvers for a few reasons, the most important being geometry. Smith and Wesson have damn near perfected the design of revolver lockwork since 1852 and the proof is in the pudding.

I shoot and carry revolvers, and I almost never use the hammer spur to cock my revolvers. There is nothing wrong with cocking it, yet since I train and practice for defensive use of a firearm I see no reason for such a light trigger pull. (but that is my opinion)

Light pulls a good trigger pull does not make. To put it differently, all of the stock Smith and Wesson revolver triggers (the N frame has the best trigger pulls in my opinion, especially the 8 shot .357's which makes the DA stroke relatively short) I have experience with have been in about the 4-5 pound range for pull. It may "feel" lighter because there is no travel, just a break at 5 pounds. A smooth trigger can trick your mind to think it is lighter. For example, my larger carry gun, an L frame Smith and Wesson 386 Mountain Lite (like a 686 only lighter) is a double action pull of around 10-12 pounds. However, my favorite local gunsmith smoothed it out and it is fantastic. Smooth is everything, lighter springs are not always helpful.

Lighter springs are actually not a great idea when there is a large disparity between the force of the mainspring and the rebound spring. I actually enjoy a powerful rebound spring. The main spring supplies the tension to the hammer and making that spring lighter will increase the time it takes the hammer when released by the sear to hit the firing pin thus possibly negatively impacting accuracy. The trigger rebound spring provides the opposition force against pulling the trigger, which also quickly brings the trigger and finger back into the reset and shooting position.

I hope this helps a bit to understand what and how the fine wheel guns work...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Blair County)

They are very nice. They are the best, because Colt quit making revolvers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast