Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Arrow UTAH CFP process changes eff. 5/10/2011 & 1/1/2012

MODS: there is at least 1 thread discussing "Utah changes", but as this is the "official" notification from Utah I felt it warranted being the lead post in a new thread to ensure visibility, rather than be "buried" elsewhere.

From the Utah Instructor Newsletter to be released today, April 1 2011.

The following are the items that might affect those applicants who are non-residents of Utah.
    Items in the QUOTE boxes in parentheses are my insertions for clarity / emphasis.

On May 10, 2011 several new laws will go into effect regarding concealed firearm permits, fees and concealed firearm instructors.
    The corresponding bills include: 1st Substitute S.B. 36, H.B. 214 and 1st Substitute H.B. 257.

One major change in the new law is regarding some non-resident applicants for the Utah concealed firearm permit.
    If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit.
    This change will not affect those applicants who reside in a state that does not have formal reciprocity or recognition with Utah, i.e. California, New York, Kansas, etc.

Renewal applications will be under this new requirement starting January 1, 2012.
    This change was largely due to the issue raised by some reciprocal states whose residents chose to carry in their home state using a Utah permit, thus depriving the states in question of a source of income. (I am of the opinion that those who took issue should have taken the approach that they make it a requirement that their residents carry in-state on their "own" permit, similar to what West Virginia currently requires, rather than mimicing Pennsylvanias standard for non-resident PA LTCFs). Utah took this approach in order to avoid the risk of losing reciprocity with such states.

All (initial) applications received after (Tuesday) May 10, 2011 will be required to submit new fees and a copy of that states’ concealed firearm permit or concealed weapon permit, if applicable.

Regarding fees, in-state concealed firearm permit applicants will be charged $60.00.
    Out of state applicants will be charged $65.00.
    All renewal applications (as of Tuesday May 10th) will be charged $15.00.
    Current initial application fee for all (res. & non-res.) is $65.25
    Current renewal fee for all (res. & non-res) is $10.00
    Note: For the past several years, Utah has issued more non-resident permits than resident permits, in a small way this "two-tiered" approach offers Utah residents a bit of a break and allows non-residents (being the majority of applicants) to shoulder their fair share of the costs of the program.

Also, you may renew your Utah permit no more than 90 days before its date of expiration. Those whose existing Utah permits will expire between now and early August 2011 may save $5 by renewing as early as is allowed. You do not "lose" any days by renewing early, your renewal permit will expire 5 years after the date of expiry of your existing permit.

Another change involves fingerprints.
    If an applicant submits fingerprints that are not accepted by the FBI or fails to provide BCI with an additional set of fingerprints, the permit may be denied, suspended or revoked.
    This item is actually unchanged, it is merely a restatement of long standing policy.
    If your initial application packet's fingerprint card is rejected for any reason, UTAH
    BCI mails you a letter and a blank fingerprint card so that you may be
    reprinted and resubmit your prints.
    (Note: Fingerprinting is not required for permit renewals, only initial applications.)

There are also some Instructor specific items (my summary):

-- Instructor Certification applicants must hold a Utah permit before applying to become an Instructor.
    (Former process allowed you to become an Instructor, then to stamp and submit your own permit application).

-- Initial Instructor Certification applicants must hold an NRA Instructor Certification or UTAH P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards & Training) or their equivalent.
    This is unchanged. The change is that Instructors need no longer maintain such certification for continued Utah certification or renewal of their Utah certification
    (formerly, you had to maintain such certification; Utah would suspend your Utah Instructor Certification if your NRA / P.O.S.T lapsed or expired; you had to update Utah each time you renewed such).

-- Separately from the bill above, the Instructor Newsletter offers a restatement of the policy in effect since early 2010 that the Utah permit course must be taught in its entirety if other instruction is offered without "intermixing" of curriculums (ex: multi-state permit courses).

Link to above Instructor Newsletter in its entirety:

http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci...rApril2011.pdf

... hope this helps ... stay safe ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; April 1st, 2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: UTAH CFP process changes eff. 5/10/2011 & 1/1/2012

As for myself, being a Utah Instructor and law enforcement officer, the above represents little change from my existing training delivery methods.

I have a second home in the south and have long traveled and covered all or part of 10+ states and D.C. for the Utah program and other instruction.

For several years, I have offered supplemental material after the Utah course is completed when teaching for groups or in locations that would benefit from such, for example covering additional information or activities required for Floridas permit when teaching for groups in or from D.C. or Maryland, or when applying to a state that recognizes no permit other than their own, and providing additional documention or a certificate when necessary. I have also used this approach in states such as PA for example where individual students may have been denied a PA LTCF via the "discretionary clause" of the UFA by a non-2nd Amendment friendly Sheriff.

Additionally, I offer portable fingerprinting services at all of my classes.
    As a law enforcement officer, my students have no difficulty submitting fingerprint cards to those states that require that the fingerprints must be taken by a law enforcement officer (ex: FL).

In short, if anyone in any of my classes does not have or cannot obtain or does not wish to obtain their home state permit, and their reason is not a disqualifying arrest or similar that would prevent their application to another / alternate state, I will still require them to complete a Utah app at the end of the class so I may endorse it via my signature and affixing Utah's State Seal as proof of their training. I will then also perform additional training, fingerprinting or activities as necessary to allow them to apply for Florida, Arizona, etc ... as an alternative to Utah.

A copy of their Utah app, even if never mailed to Utah, suffices as proof of training that may be submitted to other states.

The Utah application is valid for submission to Utah for 1 year from the date of the course, should they obtain their home state permit in the meantime and wish to apply.

By my use of the above approach, no one gets left behind.

I'll be updating my firearms training websites at

www.utahbcicertifiedinstructor.com and

www.multistateconcealedcarry.com

over the next few days as my downtime permits.

Last edited by BCI Instructor; April 1st, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: supplemental info; correct typo

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    MODS: there is at least 1 thread discussing "Utah changes", but as this is the "official" notification from Utah I felt it warranted being the lead post in a new thread to ensure visibility, rather than be "buried" elsewhere.

From the Utah Instructor Newsletter to be released today, April 1 2011.

The following are the items that might affect those applicants who are non-residents of Utah.
    Items in the QUOTE boxes in parentheses are my insertions for clarity / emphasis.

This change was largely due to the issue raised by some reciprocal states whose residents chose to carry in their home state using a Utah permit, thus depriving the states in question of a source of income. (I am of the opinion that those who took issue should have taken the approach that they make it a requirement that their residents carry in-state on their "own" permit, similar to what West Virginia currently requires, rather than mimicing Pennsylvanias standard for non-resident PA LTCFs). Utah took this approach in order to avoid the risk of losing reciprocity with such states.

Current initial application fee for all (res. & non-res.) is $65.25
    Current renewal fee for all (res. & non-res) is $10.00
    Note: For the past several years, Utah has issued more non-resident permits than resident permits, in a small way this "two-tiered" approach offers Utah residents a bit of a break and allows non-residents (being the majority of applicants) to shoulder their fair share of the costs of the program.

Also, you may renew your Utah permit no more than 90 days before its date of expiration. Those whose existing Utah permits will expire between now and early August 2011 may save $5 by renewing as early as is allowed. You do not "lose" any days by renewing early, your renewal permit will expire 5 years after the date of expiry of your existing permit.

This item is actually unchanged, it is merely a restatement of long standing policy.
    If your initial application packet's fingerprint card is rejected for any reason, UTAH
    BCI mails you a letter and a blank fingerprint card so that you may be
    reprinted and resubmit your prints.
    (Note: Fingerprinting is not required for permit renewals, only initial applications.)

There are also some Instructor specific items (my summary):

-- Instructor Certification applicants must hold a Utah permit before applying to become an Instructor.
    (Former process allowed you to become an Instructor, then to stamp and submit your own permit application).

-- Initial Instructor Certification applicants must hold an NRA Instructor Certification or UTAH P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards & Training) or their equivalent.
    This is unchanged. The change is that Instructors need no longer maintain such certification for continued Utah certification or renewal of their Utah certification
    (formerly, you had to maintain such certification; Utah would suspend your Utah Instructor Certification if your NRA / P.O.S.T lapsed or expired; you had to update Utah each time you renewed such).

-- Separately from the bill above, the Instructor Newsletter offers a restatement of the policy in effect since early 2010 that the Utah permit course must be taught in its entirety if other instruction is offered without "intermixing" of curriculums (ex: multi-state permit courses).

Link to above Instructor Newsletter in its entirety:

http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

Yes, that part isn't new, my wife had that happen a few years ago when we applied for our Utah CWP. She had the prints taken a second time because the first set was rejected.

I have to wonder if the so called "Florida Loophole", as Philly calls it, had a little to do with this new requirement.

All in all, I still find Utah to be the best & cheapest license/permit for reciprocity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Yes, that part isn't new, my wife had that happen a few years ago when we applied for our Utah CWP. She had the prints taken a second time because the first set was rejected.

I have to wonder if the so called "Florida Loophole", as Philly calls it, had a little to do with this new requirement.

All in all, I still find Utah to be the best & cheapest license/permit for reciprocity.

Hello soberbyker,

Basically, when Utah processes an initial applicant packet an "electronic" background check is performed. The print cards get sent back crosscountry to Clarksville WV for review by the FBI. Utah issues your permit within their statutory guidelines and timeline even if the FBI response has not yet been received. The hitch outlined above kicks in if the FBI rejects the print card after Utah has already advanced the applicant their permit (having advanced the permit basically as a courtesy but also in order to try to remain within their guidelines / timeline).

Utah usually rejects cards at their initial receipt level if they are obviously of poor quality.

The FBI usually rejects cards (that on first review Utah thought were ok) for reasons such as:

-- lack of annotation (properly coding AMP/amputation or SCAR/permanent scar) as appropriate for permanent physical or medical conditions
    --for printing someone who has a temporary cut or injury (must wait until you are healed and can be printed properly)
    -- failing to use print enhancers such as Ridge Builder on folks who print very faintly or whose prints / hands are worn down by their occupation (ex: stone masons / construction workers generally / mechanics) or by materials handling (janitors who extensively handle abrasive cleaners or solvents)
    -- those who must wash their hands constantly or use hand sanitizer liberally (ex: hospital employees / health care generally)
    -- the prints being smeared / damaged in the mailstream.

The third item above (failure to use print enhancers) is more commonly encountered when the instructor or assistant taking the prints is "self taught", rather than having experience in corrections / law enforcement or as a civilian fingerprint technician. Ridge Enhancer fluid is also quite expensive.
    I am a law enforcement officer and have a properly stocked portable print station including print enhancers, reprint tabs, etc ...
    I usually print my students myself; for large groups I bring an assistant (also always a law enforcement officer) who prints students while I teach the course (students remain within earshot and do not miss any material).

The last item (mailstream issues) is also very common. It is human nature to stack things small to large. Most folks assemble their packet to mail to Utah and place their fingerprint card on top, inside their manilla 9 x 12 mailing envelope. The inside of these envelopes are often coarse / unfinished; as the envelope is handled by high speed mail processing apparatus the prints are often smeared against the inside of the envelope when passing through the rubber "donut" wheels or vacum handling aids that move things along in the mailstream. My students are instructed to place their print card in the _middle_ of their packet, and to place a blank sheet of paper over the prints.

I agree with your final comment as well as even with the modest changes detailed above the Utah permit still represents an excellent value, particularly in regards to the ease and cost of renewal (single page form and $).

(Delaware County)

In her case it must have been the FBI who rejected the cards as she was already issued the permit when the request for a second set came through.

The first prints were done by the Chester County Sheriff's Office gun guys, no ink on the fingers involved. The second set was done by a local PD near where she works, not sure how they did it but both were done by experienced people.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    In her case it must have been the FBI who rejected the cards as she was already issued the permit when the request for a second set came through.

The first prints were done by the Chester County Sheriff's Office gun guys, no ink on the fingers involved. The second set was done by a local PD near where she works, not sure how they did it but both were done by experienced people.

Standard form letter comes with every UT permit...stating "this is a conditional issuance" and if there is a problem with prints they will contact you.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    Hello soberbyker,

Basically, when Utah processes an initial applicant packet an "electronic" background check is performed. The print cards get sent back crosscountry to Clarksville WV for review by the FBI. Utah issues your permit within their statutory guidelines and timeline even if the FBI response has not yet been received. The hitch outlined above kicks in if the FBI rejects the print card after Utah has already advanced the applicant their permit (having advanced the permit basically as a courtesy but also in order to try to remain within their guidelines / timeline).

Utah usually rejects cards at their initial receipt level if they are obviously of poor quality.

The FBI usually rejects cards (that on first review Utah thought were ok) for reasons such as:

-- lack of annotation (properly coding AMP/amputation or SCAR/permanent scar) as appropriate for permanent physical or medical conditions
    --for printing someone who has a temporary cut or injury (must wait until you are healed and can be printed properly)
    -- failing to use print enhancers such as Ridge Builder on folks who print very faintly or whose prints / hands are worn down by their occupation (ex: stone masons / construction workers generally / mechanics) or by materials handling (janitors who extensively handle abrasive cleaners or solvents)
    -- those who must wash their hands constantly or use hand sanitizer liberally (ex: hospital employees / health care generally)
    -- the prints being smeared / damaged in the mailstream.

The third item above (failure to use print enhancers) is more commonly encountered when the instructor or assistant taking the prints is "self taught", rather than having experience in corrections / law enforcement or as a civilian fingerprint technician. Ridge Enhancer fluid is also quite expensive.
    I am a law enforcement officer and have a properly stocked portable print station including print enhancers, reprint tabs, etc ...
    I usually print my students myself; for large groups I bring an assistant (also always a law enforcement officer) who prints students while I teach the course (students remain within earshot and do not miss any material).

The last item (mailstream issues) is also very common. It is human nature to stack things small to large. Most folks assemble their packet to mail to Utah and place their fingerprint card on top, inside their manilla 9 x 12 mailing envelope. The inside of these envelopes are often coarse / unfinished; as the envelope is handled by high speed mail processing apparatus the prints are often smeared against the inside of the envelope when passing through the rubber "donut" wheels or vacum handling aids that move things along in the mailstream. My students are instructed to place their print card in the _middle_ of their packet, and to place a blank sheet of paper over the prints.

I agree with your final comment as well as even with the modest changes detailed above the Utah permit still represents an excellent value, particularly in regards to the ease and cost of renewal (single page form and $).
    What HE said :-)

I also instruct students to put a piece of 8 x 11 cardboard in packet and write do not bend on the outside of the envelope.