Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Looking for a new carry pistol any suggestions

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new handgun for carry purpose. I have a Glock 30, Glock 23, SIG equinox, Taurus Judge. So if anyone has some suggestions please let me know I also live in N.E. philly so if you know of any good places that aren't gonna rip me off I would love to know.

Thanks,

Sean

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Looking for a new carry pistol any suggestions

It seems you like Glocks, you have 2 of them.Glock 26 or 27 might be nice.
    Walther P 99 40 cal,S&W 686+P 2 1/2 barrel,or Kimber Ultra Carry 11 3''
    barrel would be my suggestions. Try gunbroker.com they have all kinds of
    guns to choose from.

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for a new carry pistol any suggestions

You could go with the 27 and if you don't like the sharp recoil you could get one of these http://www.gunblast.com/DPM.htm they do stick out about 1/4" or so on the G27 however it takes the sting out of the .40 recoil. I have one in my 27 and range work is so much more fun. I was surprised at how accurate this little bugger is.

Sid

(Montgomery County)

I agree that Glock 27 is a good choice, but are you looking for something smaller than your Glock 30?? If so, the 27 is slightly smaller but not by enough to make that big of a difference. How do you intend on carrying the gun? If you are looking for something smaller/thinner - I would recommend looking into Kahr. I either carry my Glock 27 or Kahr CW40 inside the waistband - both are comfortable IMO but there is definitely a difference with the Kahr as it is only a single stack magazine and much thinner than the Glock. Hope this helps.

(Lycoming County)

Another suggestion, Taurus PT111, Millennium Pro in 9mm. Just bought one from a PAFO member. It's a skinch (technical term) larger than the G-26 so that I can get a good grip but not so large that it won't conceal well. Price is right and Taurus seems to be outgrowing the old, bad rep by making good guns.

(Carbon County)

i must be one of the oddballs on here. i dont like to carry compacts for daily carry. they are too big and too uncomfortable to keep on me 24/7...seems like everyone has this thing they need to carry 9mm and up to defend themselves. i carry a beretta tomcat and naa guardian in 32. or sig p238 in 380. sometimes even my beretta bobcat. i can toss them in any pocket or shirt that i please, with or without a holster and be on my way. dont have to worry if its printing or showing. stopping power? well, let me shoot you with one and let me know how you feel. once you go pocket size, you dont go back. i have cz 40 beretta 9s and the only time they get used is next to my bed or at the range. take it to the range once a month, shoot a few rounds, clean it and back in my pocket. reliable? never a hicup in the above guns.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    Another suggestion, Taurus PT111, Millennium Pro in 9mm. Just bought one from a PAFO member. It's a skinch (technical term) larger than the G-26 so that I can get a good grip but not so large that it won't conceal well. Price is right and Taurus seems to be outgrowing the old, bad rep by making good guns.
    Carrying anything bigger than a Glock sub compact CC is a challenge for those that are not that big. That, and it would be a cold day in hell before anything Taurus made was anything I would stake my life on. You may have a good pistol, but the one I purchased last summer broke faster than you can say, oh my god what the fuck. Where the Glock has been completely flawless from the first round to the last. Why would anyone want a bigger gun, that is of lower quality for carry?

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    once you go pocket size, you dont go back.
    While I really agree with you wholeheartedly about the absolute ease of carry with the true pocket pistols. I'm an LCP fan myself. The second I get in clothing that allows for carrying more gun. I carry more gun.

Which means when the dress clothes come off, and the casual clothes go on. The LCP gets traded out for the Glock.

The reason is there is no amount of practice with the LCP that can allow me to do what I can do with the Glock with only casual practice. From drawing speed, accuracy, and follow up shots... I am in a different league from myself using the LCP. And it's not for lack of trying. At close range I am confident enough that I could defend myself with the LCP if fleeing was not an option. Add 10 feet to that same scenario and I am still twice as confident with the Glock. Why? It handles like a bigger gun because it is a bigger gun. It has sights. Good ones. It holds 10+1. And 9mm brings another 100ft/lbs of energy to the table.

I love the pocket guns for what they are, but they are only a replacement for days that I would not be able to carry anything else. (IMO)

(York County)

For carry I highly recommend a Kahr.
    I carry a Kahr CW9, LCP and Glock 26, and I have just ordered a Kahr CM9 for a pocket carry 9mm... all great guns! But the best gun for carry IMO is the Kahr's they have a fantastic DOA trigger, great sights, low bore axis for lower felt recoil. This makes them easy to shoot well. They are thin and light weight, and are built with quality.

(Lancaster County)

Do not be afraid to check out a PPS in 9mm. I was considering a PPS .40, but I thought the size of the gun vs. the caliber was too much. I am extremely happy with my PPS in 9mm. Adjustable backstrap, single stack mag and less than an inch wide. Perfect for CC.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by End Over End View Post
    Do not be afraid to check out a PPS in 9mm. I was considering a PPS .40, but I thought the size of the gun vs. the caliber was too much. I am extremely happy with my PPS in 9mm. Adjustable backstrap, single stack mag and less than an inch wide. Perfect for CC.
    Model: PPS
    Caliber: 9mm
    Length: 6.3"
    Height: 4.4"
    Overall Width/Width without slidestop lever and takedown buttons: 1.04"/.91"
    Barrel Length: 3.2"
    Sight Radius: 5.4"
    Weight (without Mag): 19.4 oz.
    Standard Magazine Weight: 1.9 oz.
    Action: Striker Fire Action, Pre-Cocked
    Trigger Pull: 6.1 lbs.
    Frame: Black Polymer

Added the specs from Walther's site to your post for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast