Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Arrow Armor for Instructors -- your opinions wanted

I have a few questions about body armor for firearms instructors. I'd appreciate feedback from both instructors and students.

Do any instructors consider armor an essential part of their teaching gear? If so, do you wear it in the classroom as well as on the firing line?

Would other instructors question you if you had armor and they did not?

As a student, would you think better or worse of your instructor if he wore armor? Would it encourage you to become more careless as a result?

Do you think armor is appropriate at all levels of instruction, from basic handgun / shotgun / rifle, from rimfire to centerfire, from boy scout shooting days to NRA courses to 3-day basic defensive courses? Is there some level that you would go without armor?

Would you wear armor to the range if it's just you alone, you and the buddies, you and family, etc., if you're not instructing (i.e. eye protection, ear protection, and armor)?

I'd appreciate consideration of tactical (overt) and concealed armor. Let's assume that if it is overt, that there is an "instructor" badge or the like (insert mall ninja comment). I'm not asking about daily armor for going to the grocery store. Range and instruction situations only, please.

Default Re: Armor for Instructors -- your opinions wanted

I wore a vest in LE for 12 years. The last thing that I want to do is put one on again for range training. Besides, if you are that concerned about getting shot during training, you are either in need of another form of employment, or you are not teaching your students correctly.

(Lancaster County)

As an Instructor I typically mirror the students. If it is a course that the students will be wearing armor, LEO, SMAT, Military then I will wear similar equipment. Otherwise I do not wear armor on the range when I am instructing.
    "When Knowledge Counts and Experience Matters"

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Armor for Instructors -- your opinions wanted

I agree, I wear my armor when ever I teach LEO, Military, PSD, or SWAT members its how I work so its how I train just a natural thing for me like putting on your socks..When I'm teaching Civilians i tend not to due to not want to make them feel to over tactical and make them nervous. I think in the end you really have to gage you class of students. Just my two cents
    P.M. Protective Enterprises LLC.

(Cambria County)

I do not wear armor. In the classroom there is no ammunition. On the firing line there is only one student per instructor shooting. If there is a student that is completely new to firearms, they only get one round of ammo for their first shot.

(Armstrong County)

I am required to wear armor, and there have been a time or two im happy i had it on. All too often when there is a malfunction someone tends to flag you when they are getting your attention or showing you that there is a problem. The whole weapons down range thing is totally forgot. And this is trained soldiers im dealing with. Another aspect is if you get an unconcealed vest you can get a bright red carrier that really helps them identify you quickly as instructor/ saftey.

(Armstrong County)

I feel its a good idea just as how a laywer wears a suite coat in court

(Allegheny County)

I do not wear armor in level-one courses. In those courses everyone is pointed down range, and there is no reason why things will not be very controlled. Even when shooting on the move, the students are shooting in one direction only, at designated targets.

When I track students through simulators, there is only one student in the simulator at a time, and I am directly behind them. Usually (but not always) they have carbines, with respect to which armor would be of limited value.

Under those circumstances, the armor does not offer sufficient additinoal protection to warrant the heat and wear-and-tear, so I don't use it. If I thought body armor would materially enhance safety, I would wear it, and I would not allow any student in the course without it.

There are other courses which involve a lot of movement in simulators, and which involve hand guns. I will don armor for those, and require the same of all participants.

Keep in mind, however, that I do not train military or police in any form of team tactics. 95% of the students I deal with are non-le civilians or beat cops.

(Beaver County)

I tend to agree with PeteG's assessment.

I have worn armor in shoothouses and the instructor has usually worn armor as well. This was soft armor with handguns. If you are using carbines then you need plates - otherwise why bother?

If it is a standard range environment then wearing armor as an instructor is a bit of overkill. It could also possibly be showmanship/schtick.

If you are in a shoothouse then it's probably a good idea if armor is available. In addition to the simple question of armor, the corresponding experience level of the students should be quite a bit higher as well if they are doing house work.

If an agency were ever to ask me to do some handgun or long gun work with them - and they normally wore armor - I'd ask them if I could borrow some of their kit. It would be lame for me to demo something slick if they would normally be kitted up.

Personally I don't own armor; I may someday.