Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default buy shoygun in pa live in nj

a couple yrs back i purchased 2 new shotguns in PA for deer hunting,eventhough i live in NJ they said all i needed was my driver i.d. no stupid NJ FIREARM ID was required. they did a backround check and i have no record so they sold the shotguns to me. is this still the case can i buy a new shotgun in PA with just my NJ drivers i.d.
    Last edited by DAVE157; December 17th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: buy shoygun in pa live in nj

Buy all the shotguns you want in Pennsylvania. You're certainly not breaking any Pennsylvania laws. New Jersey might have some say on the subject, but that belongs on another forum elsewhere.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm gonna go on a limb and say...

DON'T BUY ALL THE SHOTGUNS YOU WANT IN PA. Unless you live in PA and meet all the legal requirements.

I'd go as far as saying you'd most certainly be breaking a ton of laws, and will have a bad time because of it.

If you live in NJ, buy in NJ, or have it transfered there, and do this the proper way.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

You can legally purchase long guns out of your state, but the dealer is required to comply with the law in the state you're a resident of. That means the dealer was legally required to ensure you have an FID card, as is required by New Jersey law. But if he didn't ask you for your FID, the error is on him; he could lose his license for that. As long as you have an FID card, you're OK to possess your shotgun in New Jersey.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Bucks County)

BTW, since you live in New Jersey, you should absolutely be aware of the crap going on in your legislature right now that has profound and drastic implication for New Jersey gun owners.

See here
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    You can legally purchase long guns out of your state, but the dealer is required to comply with the law in the state you're a resident of. That means the dealer was legally required to ensure you have an FID card, as is required by New Jersey law. But if he didn't ask you for your FID, the error is on him; he could lose his license for that. As long as you have an FID card, you're OK to possess your shotgun in New Jersey.
    You have that correct. Must comply with the laws of both states. Dealer could loose his license or face a fine.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalG23 View Post
    Q: what is a firearm i.d. card? like a ltcf?
    NO. A NJ Firearms ID Card is a card that must be obtained in order to purchase or transport (not carry, just transport) firearms within the state of NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I'm gonna go on a limb and say...

DON'T BUY ALL THE SHOTGUNS YOU WANT IN PA. Unless you live in PA and meet all the legal requirements.

I'd go as far as saying you'd most certainly be breaking a ton of laws, and will have a bad time because of it.

If you live in NJ, buy in NJ, or have it transfered there, and do this the proper way.
    Completely agree. It may be possible for a NJ resident to purchase in PA, assuming the PA dealer knows what they're doing. However, you're a lot less apt to run into trouble if you buy from a NJ dealer who will likely understand NJ's laws better.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; December 18th, 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    NO. A NJ Firearms ID Card is a card that must be obtained in order to purchase or transport (not carry, just transport) firearms within the state of NJ.
    ...and it takes months and months to get, even up to a year or so as I've heard. additionally (I believe) you've got to go to the sheriff, get finger printed and his/her approval by sign-off on it... JUST TO OWN A GUN! *rolls eyes* such a damned commie state...

(I may be somewhat wrong on some of these details, don't quote me on it, it's as I recall them being from the past)

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    ...and it takes months and months to get, even up to a year or so as I've heard. additionally (I believe) you've got to go to the sheriff, get finger printed and his/her approval by sign-off on it... JUST TO OWN A GUN! *rolls eyes* such a damned commie state...
    But at least they have crime and gun free streets.
    FUCK BIDEN

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    BTW, since you live in New Jersey, you should absolutely be aware of the crap going on in your legislature right now that has profound and drastic implication for New Jersey gun owners.

See here
    you ain't kidding!
    from NRA_ILA:

On Monday, December 17, the New Jersey Senate Law and Public Safety and Veterans’ Affairs Committee passed three bills that will have serious consequences for the Garden State’s law-abiding gun owners.

S2470, sponsored by State Senator Shirley Turner (D-15) would criminalize the transfer of ammunition to anyone who does not have a valid New Jersey firearms ID card, handgun carry or purchase permit, or hunting license. While intended to prevent criminals from obtaining ammunition, the legislation would only impact honest gun owners, since criminals are unlikely to purchase ammunition in New Jersey because of the mandatory reporting of all ammunition sales as required by state law. This bill should be defeated or amended so as not to affect law-abiding citizens.

Also introduced by Senator Turner, S2934 would make honest gun owners responsible for the acts of criminals if they fail to “immediately” report the theft or loss of a firearm that is later used in a crime. Styled as legislation requiring the reporting of stolen or lost firearms, the legislation would hold victims of theft responsible for the acts of criminals.

S2431, sponsored by State Senators John Girgenti (D-35) and Paul Sarlo (D-36), is an overly broad attempt to address gang violence that could have unintended consequences for honest gun owners. Among other things, it would criminalize and severely punish the mere possession of certain firearms, including registered handguns, even while engaged in lawful activities. As originally drafted, the bill puts law-abiding gun owners at risk of a potential 10-year prison sentence and a $150,000 fine.

These bills are now on their way to the Senate for its consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast