Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default I need revolver suggestions.

I'm looking to buy a decent carry-friendly revolver in the near future. Still fairly new in the gun world(Not quite a complete moron though). Just inexperienced and unsure of what to look for. I'd kinda like to go the .357 route but am trying to keep the price down a bit. I don't exactly wanna buy a piece of crap either. My range is somewhere in the vicinity of $300-$600 max. Any suggestions?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I need revolver suggestions.

Rossi 877 in stainless.

Rossi 461 in blue.

Under $250 used.
    Last edited by Yentl Marmelstein; March 31st, 2011 at 08:48 AM.

(Berks County)

Ruger LCR with XS dot sight - $399 new.

(Bedford County)

Hmm..I like the price of the Rossi alot...but that Ruger looks pretty badass. I could fit that thing in my shirt pocket.

(Perry County)

Assuming you want the classic in carry the Smith J frame is the platform all others are judged against. I prefer the 638 (old school Bodyguard). It has an aluminum frame and stainless barrel and cylinder, a good compromise with the titanium which are lighter but kick more. This is very controllable, with practice, using .38+P ammo. You can get nice .357 J-frames, but having shot one I'd stick with .38+P, the .357 is down right painful to practice with. The 638 has the small button hammer that is snag proof, but still usable for single action. I doubt this is very important so the 642 is a totally viable alternative. I bought a new 638 for just over $400 two years ago, so they are well within your price range. The grips that come on them are usable, but just not great. I have crimson trace laser grips on mine which I love.

There are many good deals on used J frames, as they have been around for generations. I bought a used mod 60 3" with adjustable sights a year ago and it was just over $400, and is in .357 and is accurate for a small gun. Inside the waist carry makes it very concealable. It might make a good first revolver as the adjustable sights will make it more fun to shoot at the range, a will its extra weight.

As to the of brands I would avoid them. Taurus, Rossi, and Charter, have made some good guns, and a few bad ones. What you save in purchase you tend to lose on resale. If you don't ever sell, then what is a hundred dollars on a purchase you will bet you life on for the rest of your life?

I have numerous autos I could CC but prefer revolvers and usually it is one of my J frames. Every once in a while I get crazy and tuck a 2.5" 66 K frame in my waist and go out armed for bear, but not often.

(Lackawanna County)

get yourself a vintage S&W revoler like a 29 686 629 27

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zakesque View Post
    I'm looking to buy a decent carry-friendly revolver in the near future. Still fairly new in the gun world(Not quite a complete moron though). Just inexperienced and unsure of what to look for. I'd kinda like to go the .357 route but am trying to keep the price down a bit. I don't exactly wanna buy a piece of crap either. My range is somewhere in the vicinity of $300-$600 max. Any suggestions?
    For a concealable .357, I vote Ruger sp101. Stainless snubnose (2.25") with a spurless hammer. Bud's has them for $464 with free shipping.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70242

Go up to the GP100, 4 inch barrel for a good all around shooter, and defensive carry revolver. Built like a tank, Your grandkids kids will thank you. The online prices are around $500
    I have a blued 6" half lug model, its amazingly accurate

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/index.html

(Philadelphia County)

My $0.02.

Carry revolvers (I assume you are leaning toward snub nose) are weapons for experts. They are among the most difficult to shoot accurately without lots and lots of training and experience. Heavy trigger pull, mechanical action affecting the balance, short sight radius, and limited round capacity are all limitations that must be overcome and aren't present in many alternate choices. They have their advantages, but not for a novice, IMO.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    My $0.02.

Carry revolvers (I assume you are leaning toward snub nose) are weapons for experts. They are among the most difficult to shoot accurately without lots and lots of training and experience. Heavy trigger pull, mechanical action affecting the balance, short sight radius, and limited round capacity are all limitations that must be overcome and aren't present in many alternate choices. They have their advantages, but not for a novice, IMO.
    I have spent some time shooting a few different ones that belong to my father-in-law. Its honestly what he had me learn to shoot first. I owe most of the experience and knowledge I've acquired so far to him.

I'm only looking for one as an alternative to my 1911 as a carry pistol...and I just feel the need to grab a revolver as my next purchase.

But I do understand where you're coming from, and completely understand the advice you're giving. I may end up getting something like a 3.5 or 4 in model but I'm kind of dead set on snub.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast