Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Sub-4" 1911 reliability?

First off, let me say I own no 1911's but, one is on the short list for sure. Probably wouldn't go that route (thread title) anyway but, I was wondering what exactly makes them problem prone. A buddy of mine recently got a Kimber cdpII, I believe that's there small one and said its been error free so far (couple hundred rnds). I was kind of surprised but, happy for him. Maybe he got a good one. I know even the full-size versions can be finicky and the 1911 platform in general can be expected to require some "home smithing". Anyway give me the details, not the "1911 was based on the 5" barrel so the smaller versions don't work" deal, heard it a hundred times, give me the why. Hopefully the 1911 crew, Lycan(help elaborate)Thrope and anyone else with a love/knowledge for these fine pistols can help me out.
    Last edited by brownman; March 30th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Sub-4" 1911 reliability?

I own a kimber cdp ii and i got 500 rounds of ball ammo through it and no problems whatsoever. I did had some failure to feed with remington hollow points but i replace them with corbon pow'r ball ammo and no problems with those hollow points.
    When They come, I'll Be Gone...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by napxter187 View Post
    I own a kimber cdp ii and i got 500 rounds of ball ammo through it and no problems whatsoever. I did had some failure to feed with remington hollow points but i replace them with corbon pow'r ball ammo and no problems with those hollow points.
    You illustrate a very good point. A self defense round that mimics the profile of fmj will help with feeding issues. Pow'r ball and Hornady Critical Defense are good examples.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

OP, the unreliability of the short barrelled 1911's has to do with the timing of the cycled action, they can be reliable but everything has to be perfect.

They require more attention than a full size, they have to be cleaned more, and most importantly the mainsprings have to be changed out more often , they do wear out mainsprings more often. THat is why Colt went with the spring set up on the defender that they use on it .(no folks Glock did not invent the spring within a spring set up, Glock didnt invent anything period)

Personally the Shortest i would Go is a Commander lenght.
    Personally i carry this one, Never failed in any way and is Match accurate.sporting these 020.jpg

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Sub-4" 1911 reliability?

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 11 3'' barrel. When i first got i had 3 or 4 FTF.
    Kimbers need 400 to 500 rounds, and to be cleaned every 100 to 150 rounds
    to break them in,Now i have no problems at all.The recoil spring needs to replaced about 1800 to 2000 rounds.

(Beaver County)

Have a kimber custom target II (5" barrel). 500ish rounds no complaints. Can shoot sub 4" group no problem @ 7 yards. Only thing is the gun needs to be somewhat wet the fp-10 or it will FTF/FTE. I found this out when i went to shoot it after it sat for 2ish years and was bone dry. Other than that great gun.

I have 2 3" 1911's, Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and a Colt New Agent. Both have been totally reliable, provided I grip the pistol correctly! I've come to believe that a lot of people jump into a 3" 1911 unaware that the shorter cycle time is not forgiving of even slight limp-wristing, then cry lemon when they experience failures.
    Both of my pistols have had no issues with feeding hollow points, but I don't think it's a huge deal if a 3" 1911 needed throat cutting/polishing, comes with the territory.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtk215 View Post
    I've come to believe that a lot of people jump into a 3" 1911 unaware that the shorter cycle time is not forgiving of even slight limp-wristing, then cry lemon when they experience failures.
    I agree with this

Sid

Thanks for the replies guys. Let me also say that I wasnt calling out Kimber at all, just used that as an example because a buddy of mine recently got one. Moreso in question was the 3" 1911 in general. Thanks again
    and to the dust you shall return

(Berks County)

My Charles Daly Compact-ARMSCOR made, like the RIA's- never presented any problems and is extremely accurate, much more so than I expected.

This seems to be another internet myth.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast