Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: springfield trp

(Chester County)

Default springfield trp

Hey guys need some help I just bought a Springfield armory TRP used but in great condition Shot it for the first time today shot pretty well until after about 30 rounds had 3 FTF also 3 times the slide wouldn't lock back on an empty mag
    I also noticed that one of the mags was hard to insert loaded, I tool it out unloaded it and noticed it had some slight resistance going when putting it in the mag well
    I was shooting factory ammo Remington leadless 45 acp
    Is this mostly a magazine issue or did I just piss away $1200.00 ?
    bought it at classic pistol btw

(Indiana County)

Default Re: springfield trp

Were the issues just with one magazine or several? I'd test it with a few other mags, see if that cleans the issue up and if that doesn't do it, call Springfield, I've never had to use em, but everything I've heard says they are one of the best when it comes to customer service.

(Chester County)

i actually took it back to classic pistol had their smith look at it
    and He called me told me that the gun was bone dry I told him that's how I got it He did mention that it looks practically new condition. He lubed it shot a half a box of ammo with any problems I went to pick it up put a hundred rounds of federal hst and ran without a hiccup very pleased

(Delaware County)

How old is the gun? Any clue on how many shots? The pistol may need a new main spring. What kind of mags are you using? Is it only one mag causing the problem? How old are the springs in the mags. A new set of springs all around may just be the ticket.

Whenever I buy a used 1911, a fresh set of springs will be the first thing I do to the pistol. That way I know those are not a problem. I keep a spare set on hand just in case a pistol has some of those issues.

With the mag out and the gun unloaded, look up in there and check to see that the grip screws aren't too long and interfering with the mag insertion. Some people think you can put thin grips on the pistol with the old screws and inserts. Others tend to over tighten the screws and they may touch the side of the mag slightly, when inserted.

The TRP is a fine weapon and SA stands behind their products 100%, including shipping. With SA, you'll never have pissed away your money.

EDIT: I see your reply now. I need to type faster...... lol The spring idea is always good though.
    Last edited by thundrr1; March 30th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Montgomery County)

is your TRP stainless with no rail?

(Chester County)

YEs no rail

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    How old is the gun? Any clue on how many shots? The pistol may need a new main spring. What kind of mags are you using? Is it only one mag causing the problem? How old are the springs in the mags. A new set of springs all around may just be the ticket.

Whenever I buy a used 1911, a fresh set of springs will be the first thing I do to the pistol. That way I know those are not a problem. I keep a spare set on hand just in case a pistol has some of those issues.

With the mag out and the gun unloaded, look up in there and check to see that the grip screws aren't too long and interfering with the mag insertion. Some people think you can put thin grips on the pistol with the old screws and inserts. Others tend to over tighten the screws and they may touch the side of the mag slightly, when inserted.

The TRP is a fine weapon and SA stands behind their products 100%, including shipping. With SA, you'll never have pissed away your money.

EDIT: I see your reply now. I need to type faster...... lol The spring idea is always good though.
    I appreciate the suggestion Will keep it in mind

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    YEs no rail
    Don't ask me how I know, o.k.? I'm trying to make you more comfortable with your purchase.

Order three of the following:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Eli...oductinfo/500/

That gun is broken in and will run like a top with these mags.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post

I know a guy that has a TRP. Maybe he'll let me shoot it some time.....
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(York County)

The resistance you feel in the magwell may be the mag release dragging the side of the mag. Try holding the mag release in while inserting a mag and see if the drag goes away.

Sid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast