Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Open Carry at the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh

The the Convention Center and Consol Energy Center are both owned by the Sports and Exhibition Authority (SEA). The Allegheny County Sportsmen's League (ACAL) did the leg work a couple of years ago to makes sure this government agency (joint city and county) did not restrict the lawful carry of concealed or openly carried friearms into facilities owned by th SEA.

The NRA will be using both the Convention Center and the Consol Energy Center during the annual meeting.

So far the NRA has stated that only concealed carry will be allowed in the Convetion Center, and they have been silent in regards to the Consol Energy Center.

With that said, who is planning on attending the NRA AM in Pittsburgh and open carrying?

If the ability to openly and/or conceal a lawfully carried firearm is restrcted at either of these two venues, it will be at the NRA's request, since these buildings are not restricted by law.

The NRA may be planning on restricting our rights by exercising their personal property rights as the leaseholder for the 2 buildings they will be using.

I respectfully ask each and every NRA member here contact the NRA and ask them if you will be able to lawfully carry a firearm, open or concealed, at their events in the Convention Center and the Consol Energy Center. Even if you are not planning to on attending.

Please also pass this request along to the NRA members you know who do not access the PAFOA website.

Thank you, for your help.
    Last edited by Red; March 30th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Open Carry at the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh

The weapons policy in the Consol Energy Center is set by the primary lease holder and that is the Penguins.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Open Carry at the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    The weapons policy in the Consol Energy Center is set by the primary lease holder and that is the Penguins.
    In speaking with the SMG staff who is contracted to operate the Consol Energy Center, the weapons policy is the decision of the organizer of the event. Plus if you want to carry to the Penguins games, I have been told you need to enter via the staging area. I do not know if they operate a gun check like in Philly, I was just told to enter via the staging area by the arena staff.

I also spoke with Kim Stolfer yesteday and he stated any building owned by the Sports and Exhibition Authority you can carry a firearm into, unless the leaseholder for the event decides otherwise. (Kim if I got that wrong or you want to chime in please do).
    Last edited by Red; March 30th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I also spoke with Kim Stolfer yesteday and he stated any building owned by the Sports and Exhibition Authority you can carry a firearm into, unless the leaseholder for the event decides otherwise. (Kim if I got that wrong or you want to chime in please do).
    I believe that to be true. I also believe that the leaseholder can ask you to leave and have you trespassed if you fail to comply.

I would expect that's what will happen if one tries to open carry at the NRA convention (a request to leave and immediate threat of a trespassing charge). I've been wrong before.....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I believe that to be true. I also believe that the leaseholder can ask you to leave and have you trespassed if you fail to comply.

I would expect that's what will happen if one tries to open carry at the NRA convention (a request to leave and immediate threat of a trespassing charge). I've been wrong before.....
    Imagine the headline: "NRA has attendee arrested for carrying gun in convention hall."

I'm hoping to have off of work to make the trip. If I do, we'll know for sure. I've OC'd for several days at a previous convention (Louisville, KY), and I intend to in Pittsburgh. Any resistance I encounter will be audio and video recorded.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Fayette County)

I will be going. I dont have a LTCF yet, so OC would be my only option.

However, I cannot afford to get arrested at the moment. (even if the charges are later dropped).

So I will have to be very comfortable that OC is allowed before doing so at the event.

From the few interactions I have had with Pittsburgh police, I can honestly say that they dont give a fuck about whats right or whats legal.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I will be going. I dont have a LTCF yet, so OC would be my only option.
    You're able to get from your home to the convention center on foot?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Sure I can
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Cambria County)

Good point!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Delaware County)

his location does say Pittsburgh.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast