Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Millvale Sportsmans Club or Northside Sportsmans Association?

Could someone who's been to these clubs please tell me the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Millvale Sportsmans Club or Northside Sportsmans Association?

Check out the info on their sites to help you figure out which one may be right for you.
    http://www.nssa.ws/

http://www.millvalesportsmens.com/
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

Both have nice facilities. I have been to the clubhouse at Millvale and never seen their range. Millvale is closer to 79 if that's a plus for you.

I was a member at NSSA for a while, and a family member was also a member there for about 15 years. I would heartily advise against NSSA. I won't get into the really grimy details, but here are a few surface reasons:
    1. Political structure. It sucks. If you like to perform oral sex, then go ahead and join, you will be among the priviliged and the elite.
    2. if you own an ar or any rifle for that matter, and want to shoot it, don't plan on shooting more than 1 round every 3 seconds.
    3. Do you like to train for a real life scenario? Do you wear a holster? Well, you have to get permission from the "pistol" chairperson to be allowed draw from a holster. So #1 applies here again. Fellate the guy, and you're good to go.
    4. The rules. They are retarded. It wasn't always this way. Many "offices" were added in the political structure, and each office added lots of rules. Most, if not all, of the officers are complete pricks and perform the aforementioned fellatio on each other, be it verbally or physically.
    5. Arrogant pricks. The place is overrun with them.
    6. The family member that I mentioned previously was a member for a long time. He is a tradesman. He personally donated 5-10 thousand dollars worth of materials and services through all of the remodeling/improvement/building projects. Put in hundreds of hours worth of work in the building phases. Was always a member in good standing. He had a health issue, which led to an organ transplant. The month he was in the hospital was the month for renewals. Once he was out of the hospital, he immediately sent in his renewal fee. It was a week late. They sent his fee back to him, he called to ask why, and was told that because he was late, he would need to re-apply for membership, including finding new sponsors, and getting voted in at a meeting.
    7. I'm just going to stop here

I would never, under any circumstance, even go near that place again, and will tell everyone that I know to do the same.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Beaver County)

HMMMM, sounds like someone is a bit peeved about Northside. I have been there a couple times years ago, not recently though. However I have just rejoined Millvale Sportsmans Club after a 20 year hiatus just moving back into the area. As far as ranges go, they have an indoor .22 pistol/ rifle range, outdoor pistol range, outdoor 200yd rifle range, 3D archery course, archery range, 5 Trap ranges, 2 Skeet fields, a lake and probably a couple things I am forgetting. I just started shooting pistol up there, and am going to start shooting trap there. If anyone would like to come check it out, shoot me a message....Brian

(Allegheny County)

I would love to check this club out.Its on my way home from work. Unfortunately they are not taking any new members. I gave them my application in February of 2012. They cashed my check and have not heard from them since. From what i was told i am on a waiting list ?

(Allegheny County)

They're not taking members but they wanted a check? That's some BS. The wait list at my club is over 300 people and they don't take money til you get in.

(Butler County)

Millvale's structure is you pay half of the new member initiation fee at application (which I believe is now $150, so $75). Then when approved, you pay the other half and the yearly dues ($80/yr). They're very upfront about the fee structure.

Millvale will re-open for new membership applications on March 1st. They had a ~ 150 applicant wait list from 2011-2012 and are accepting them all this year and then there's, I believe, another ~50 slots that will be open on March 1.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.