Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Vintage Shotgun Pricing?

A good friend of mine is selling a bunch of his guns and he's giving me the chance to get some of them at pretty low prices before he posts them on the internet or tries selling to anyone else.

He has an Ithaca M37 that has "Property of U.S. Army 1967" stamped on the left side of the receiver, this leads me to believe it was a Vietnam era one, it's in average condition, the barrel is good, there's a ton of scratches but none are deep and I know it shoots because I've seen him shoot it before, it also has a small row of X's on the right hand side toward the bottom, I don't know if someone was counting days or kills with it, but there's 7 of them.

He doesn't know what he wants for it and I really don't want to low ball my friend, I really like the M37's but I just don't know a fair price for this considering it was a military issued one and has some history behind it.
    I really want this gun, but I just can't figure out the value.

He also has a 1950's Browning A5 that is in excellent condition and a very nice original military issued Winchester Model 97 I wouldn't mind taking off his hands, but again, pricing is the issue.
    I've still got most of my tax refund and just got paid so I've got around 2,300 considering bills are paid up for the next 2 months until we move.

Help with setting fair prices?
    He said he would take just about anything, but he's my friend and I'd like to give him a fair price on each.

Default Re: Vintage Shotgun Pricing?

If he was counting days he had the shortest nam tour on record.

(York County)

Does the model 37 have the US Military markings (ordnance marking on the barrel and receiver, flaming bomb with wings)? Is the serial number in the 900000 range? If both of these are correct your looking at a Vietnam era gun that is worth 1500 to 5500 dollars as these are super rare. The WWII model 37's are worth 4000 to 7000 depending. The model 97 would have to have the U.S. Mark on the receiver and the flying bomb on the barrel to be correct. If this is correct then your looking anywhere between 1000 to 5000 depending on condition and if its a WWI gun, or the super rare WWII run that was produced between 1941 & 42 only.
    Hope this helps. If you can get pics, I can help you id them.

Quote Originally Posted by jarheadsairsmithing View Post
    Does the model 37 have the US Military markings (ordnance marking on the barrel and receiver, flaming bomb with wings)? Is the serial number in the 900000 range? If both of these are correct your looking at a Vietnam era gun that is worth 1500 to 5500 dollars as these are super rare. The WWII model 37's are worth 4000 to 7000 depending. The model 97 would have to have the U.S. Mark on the receiver and the flying bomb on the barrel to be correct. If this is correct then your looking anywhere between 1000 to 5000 depending on condition and if its a WWI gun, or the super rare WWII run that was produced between 1941 & 42 only.
    Hope this helps. If you can get pics, I can help you id them.
    999xxx is the serial number on the 37.
    They both have the flaming bombs with wings, and both say Property of U.S. Army on them.

(York County)

The Model 37 is all but confirmed then. Would have to see it to confirm it 100%, but everything sounds right. That is an awesome find! That is one of the rarest if not The rarest US issue military shotgun. The second rarest is the WWII model 97. Would have to match the serial number on it, but it sounds right as well. Like I said before, that was a year run from 1941 to 42. Just need to confirm the serial numbers on it.

The Model 37 is all but confirmed then. Would have to see it to confirm it 100%, but everything sounds right. That is an awesome find! That is one of the rarest if not The rarest US issue military shotgun. The second rarest is the WWII model 97. Would have to match the serial number on it, but it sounds right as well. Like I said before, that was a year run from 1941 to 42. Just need to confirm the serial numbers on it.
    Oh wow lol

The 97 has the serial number of 901xxx, it only has 5 digits instead of 6 and it has the same Property of U.S. Army on the side, what year would that put it at?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    If he was counting days he had the shortest nam tour on record.
    Not if he got wasted. Majority of casualties were FNUGs - least amount of experience.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(York County)

With a 5 digit serial number it would be 1901 in that serial range. Are you sure its only 5? Is it a trench gun?

With a 5 digit serial number it would be 1901 in that serial range. Are you sure its only 5? Is it a trench gun?
    It looks exactly like this one.
    http://www.icollector.com/images/120..._0859_1_lg.jpg

as an old fart, let me speak to the Browning A5. Pricing one is very difficult without knowing the model, gauge, barrel configuration, grading and condition. Many good 12ga A5's can be had for $500 bucks or so. But, if it's a Sweet 16 from that era, you can easily triple the value. Almost as hard as pricing an old Parker SxS.

Just my 2 cents...