Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Finding a gun-friendly lawyer - Chambersburg PA area

I am just about to the point where I will be CCing on a daily basis. And from a lot of what I've read, a very important part (especially after a shooting) is to have a lawyer. I'm only 28 and have never needed a lawyer before. So, where or how does one go about contacting/finding a lawyer that could possibly represent me after a shooting? Are there lawyers who specialize in self-defense cases or would any lawyer do? Specifically, are there any to be recommended in the Chambersburg PA area? I'd like them to be local if possible, and in PA since that's where I carry (not in MD since their laws are a different).

And what would that process be? I assume I don't want to call and say "Hey, could you represent me if I shoot someone?" But I'd want them to know why I might possibly seek their counsel.

Thanks in advance.

~ishoot4fun
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Finding a gun-friendly lawyer - Chambersburg PA area

Look here:

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Some very good info can be learned from the above link but I suspect at your age you might benefit from some serious training re: Judicious Use of Lethal Force.

Like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_xaTf5oqI

When I say serious I mean documented so you have something as evidence demonstrating that you know and understand the parameters involved in self defense/lethal force encounters.

We all hope to never be thrust into the situation of having to fight for our life but being trained in the legal aspects of use of force doctrine will go a long way to convince a jury of peers that you acted correctly if that situation ever arises.

(Delaware County)

What I've been told by people who are lawyers, and who think seriously about this stuff, is that who your lawyer is at the very beginning of an "incident" is not terribly important.
    You need someone who can make statements for you, protect your rights, plead "not guilty" and get you bail (not a comprehensive list). Then, if you are prosecuted, you can find your actual defense lawyer, who hopefully specializes in criminal defense.
    Based on this, my strategy is to have a general practice lawyer who I know, who can handle all of my basic run of the mill "law stuff" (of which I have none), and who knows that I carry and practice self defense, and therefore understands that I may someday be involved in a self defense "incident".
    If that incident ever comes to pass, I'm going to want the best lawyer I can get with the most experience in *whatever it is that happened*, not the best lawyer with the broadest knowledge who's retainer I could afford when I had no expectation of ever using him...

On the other hand, firearms instructors have suggested the opposite, that I (we) should shop around and find a defense lawyer ahead of time...

(Northampton County)

My instructor pasted the number for Evan Nappen on the back of my LTCF. He's not in PA, but I think it's a good practice to have a number for someone reliable with you at all times.

http://www.evannappen.com/

It's good that you are thinking about this ahead of time. First off, there are no attorneys who specifically specialize in self defense -- legitimate self defense cases area are very rare and most criminal lawyers will never see one. Self defense is an unusual defense ("affirmative defense" -- you did it but were justified because . . . ). You want someone who understands this in your corner from the get-go. It's easy (and common) for a lawyer to follow his usual procedure for defending criminals to put your defense in serious jeopardy while navigating this minefield. There are attorneys around who understand this, like Phil Kline (Gunlawyer001 on this forum).

The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network mentioned previously is focused on this, and one of its benefits is a list of member attorneys in each state. Access to the list is for members only but there are several attorneys spread across PA on the list. They also overnight $10,000 (to your lawyer) to kick off your defense and have a fund (half the membership goes into the fund) to provide further assistance if they deem it appropriate. It is not insurance. They're at about 3,000 members today and so far the fund has not been tapped and continues to grow. It's an option to consider.
    Last edited by donm; March 29th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

(Franklin County)

You might want to check out Karl Rominger. Not right "in" Chambersburg, but I'm pretty sure he does practice in Franklin county.

www.weekendappointment.com
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 14thASG_Historian View Post
    My instructor pasted the number for Evan Nappen on the back of my LTCF. He's not in PA, but I think it's a good practice to have a number for someone reliable with you at all times.

http://www.evannappen.com/
    Are you aware:

Evan Feit Nappen
    PA Attorney ID: 58251
    Current Status: Administrative Suspension
    Date of Admission: 06/19/1990
    Lawfirm: Evan F. Nappen, Attorney at Law, P.C.
    Other Organization:
    District: O
    County: Out of State
    Public Access Address 21 THROCKMORTON AVENUE
    EATONTOWN , NJ 077241523
    Tel: 732 389-8888
    Fax: 732 389-8744
    Comment:
    Discipline:

http://www.padisciplinaryboard.org/p...8251&pdcount=0

Not implying this is anything nefarious. It could be failure to pay registration fee or failure to certify continuing education or something of like ilk. In any case, you better get a backup 'pastie' for Pa cases. I presume he is still a member in good standing for NJ issues.
    IANAL