Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Should I announce where my gun is up for sale?

I have put up my PPK for sale as consignment at a local gun shop. I am wondering if people announce where they have put up their guns for sale?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Should I announce where my gun is up for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I have put up my PPK for sale as consignment at a local gun shop. I am wondering if people announce where they have put up their guns for sale?
    I am wondering why you didn't post it for sale in the classifieds here. Probably would have made more money on it than through consignment.

(Montgomery County)

Thought about it but frankly as a first time seller just didn't know what to expect and how to handle inquiries and meet ups.

(Lebanon County)

I don't see what it could hurt. You get exposure for what you're selling and the shop that's consigning it may get some visitors who wouldn't have ordinarily stopped in.
    I agree with CrazyWhiteGuy that you probably would get more $$ into your pocket by advertising here instead of consigning but I see your point as well. Being unfamiliar and unsure can be intimidating and worth it to you to pay someone else to handle it for you.
    I don't remember ever seeing an ad for a consigned gun here but I haven't seen every ad that's ever been posted. As far as I know there isn't any rule against it so I say go for it.
    Go to the classified forum, read the rules and if you're comfortable with it, post an ad. If it runs afoul of forum rules someone will let you know but I don't see anything that looks like it prohibits such an ad.
    Last edited by mauser; March 29th, 2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added link.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Carbon County)

if your not confortable selling your 1st gun, put it for sale on here, and have them meet you only at the gun shop you have it on consignment for the transfer, why let him get the commission

(Montgomery County)

Since they already have the gun they are going to want the commission. But the other disturbing thing I learned was that if the gun doesn't sell and I want it back, they are going to do a background check, otherwise they'll keep the gun! Does this sound right?

(Allegheny County)

Since they already have the gun they are going to want the commission. But the other disturbing thing I learned was that if the gun doesn't sell and I want it back, they are going to do a background check, otherwise they'll keep the gun! Does this sound right?
    yep, because while the gun was in their posession, you could have went out and done something that prohibits you from owning it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    yep, because while the gun was in their posession, you could have went out and done something that prohibits you from owning it.
    OK, I understand but what happens to my money?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    While that's a valid point I think the real reason is that when they take it into their shop to sell they have to log it into their bound book and it legally becomes their property on paper. When it goes back out the door they have to do a legal transaction with a form 4473 to legally log it out of their bound book and let someone take possession of it, regardless if that person was previously the legal owner of that gun. If you don't pass PICS they can't complete the 4473, if you refuse to fill out the 4473 they can't legally let you take possession of it.
    If I'm missing something or have a misunderstanding there will be someone coming along shortly to straighten me out.

OK, I understand but what happens to my money?
    That's a question for you to ask the shop owner or manager. I would hope that they would offer you fair and reasonable cash compensation based on their appraised value of the gun, which may not match your asking price.
    If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned with that, but I would ask the question just for clarification and peace of mind. If your asking price is fair and reasonable it will probably sell, but if it doesn't it should only cost you a few $$ for PICS plus their fee for trying to sell it for you. As long as you can pass the PICS and there isn't any disparity between you and them regarding their fee there won't be a problem.
    I hope you knew and agreed to their commission fee before you agreed to let them try to sell it for you.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Philadelphia County)

its painless to put an ad on here and do the final exchange. i just done it here for the first time. put ad up. someone messages you. you give a date and time and location. exchange/transfer gun. you go on about your business.