Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default How would you sell this pistol?

So I have a Taurus PT99 AF that I don't use and generally don't like. Finally getting around to selling it (to buy something else of course) and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I have the gun itself, the factory magazine it came with and the original packaging. I also have 6+ high cap magazines that go with it, some factory and some aftermarket.

So my question is, how would you list the above? Would you try to sell it all as one package or sell the gun and a mag as it came originally and sell the rest of the mags by themselves? If you tried to sell the mags after selling the gun, would you do that online or at a gun show or store? It looks like the gun can be bought between $350 and $450 (small sampling from a couple of auction sites) but that's a fairly broad range. I know that I can always just list the thing and see what happens, but I'd rather have a better method than that.

Anyone's advice, experience selling off their used guns, stories etc welcome.

Thanks.

ps - this is not an attempt to list this gun for sale in a non sale forum! I'm looking for some feedback/experiences with selling similar items.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How would you sell this pistol?

Sell it as a package. It makes it more attractive to the potential buyer to have extra magazines. I bet that most folks who buy pistols also buy extra magazines.

(Delaware County)

Don't list it without a price. Decide what you want $$ wise and post it.

good luck.....
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Allegheny County)

Assuming you're planning on using a free trader like the PAFOA classifieds, my suggestion would be to list it two ways. Give prospective buyers the option of purchasing only the gun as it came from the factory or with all the accessories. Not everyone will want 6 mags for example and the whole package might drive those people away due to the higher cost.

You could make the entire package slightly discounted when compared to the price of the mags alone. For example let's say the gun as it came from the factory (with box, paperwork and one mag) is worth $400 and each of the five additional mags is worth $20. I'd list the factory package at $400 but the entire lot at $475-480. If the buyer decides not to take all the mags, they're easy enough to sell off on Gunbroker.

Of course this strategy won't work if you're using a fee-based site like GB for the sale.