Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bitten by the Model 1911 bug... Why me?

All right, so as a lot of you guys know, I've been looking for a carry/conceal pistol for a while now since I was very unhappy with my P239 in .40 S&W. I've posted about it in the past here at PAFOA ., and the general consensus was that a Sig P229 would do the trick based on the criteria I set (more can be read on that here: .. The only thing I had left to do was decide if I wanted a beavertail on my new P229.

So, I went down to Freedom Armory this past weekend to see about renting a beavertailed P229, but unfortunately, they didn't have one. So an elderly gentleman behind the counter, Ron, suggested that I rent a Model 1911 instead.

"A Model 1911?" I replied. "Why would I want to do that? I want a Sig!"

So, Ron and Bill took me to the Model 1911 display counter and started pulling out the Kimbers, and Para's and Nighthawks and began extolling the qualities that make a Model 1911 so great as a carry weapon. Let the record state that I had zero (0) experience with Model 1911 pistols, much less the .45 caliber round. In fact, I hadn't so much as even held a Model 1911 in my life before prior to this.

Anyway, at this point, I can't help but admire the workmanship of these fine pistols (let's be honest, these things are works of art) and so I finally relented and asked Ron if I could rent the Kimber Custom II which had a 5" barrel. There was a Nighthawk available as well, but I elected not to rent it since there is no way in hell I could ever afford a pistol like that.

So I took the Kimber to the range and banged out 50 rounds. I wanted to compare my Sig P239 to the Kimber, so for every 10 shots or so with the Kimber, I would shoot 5 rounds of my P239 in .40 S&W to get a feel for the difference in recoil and overall shooting experience.

The end result? Check out the paper target. All P239 rounds were widely spaced and below the 9 ring, while my Kimber rounds were nicely grouped in a 5-inch circle either in, or around the X ring. Shooting was done at 25 feet with factory ammo. All this from a pistol platform I've never shot before, much less been introduced to.

In any event, my overall impression and shooting experience of the Kimber is absolutely stunning. I had more fun shooting that Kimber than I did shooting my P239, and I'll be honest, the P229 that I rented two weeks ago couldn't even compare to the Kimber. I was on the very cusp of making a P229 purchase for conceal/carry purposes, but after my exposure to the Kimber, that has completely changed.

My shots with the Kimber were more accurate than the P239 and P229, and follow-up shots were quicker and easier to control, even in the face of a .45's recoil which was, surprisingly enough, much more manageable than I would have thought. Granted, the Kimber had just over an inch of extra barrel length over then P229 and over 1.5 inches in the P239, but still, shooting that Kimber was like a freakin' epiphany.

Anyway, it looks like I'm now in the market for a 1911... that's a good thing right?
    Last edited by Fossil4Life; March 28th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Bitten by the Model 1911 bug... Why me?

Welcome to the 1911 side... we have cookies.

Default Re: Bitten by the Model 1911 bug... Why me?

Yes, Welcome ... Just make sure you do your research and are willing to carry in condition 1. A 1911 in in any other condition is a paper weight.

p.s. carry a Kimber UCII everyday ...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Lackawanna County)

I can't wait to carry my Springfield. I finally got my license, but I haven't been able to wear a belt for a few months now, and I won't carry in my purse. Once I can finally wear a belt, which should be in a week or so, I can finally start carrying.

(Northampton County)

The differences between a good 1911 and the mushy suck of a DA/SA sig can't begin to be compared. My guess is that the SA trigger on the 1911 allowed you to stay on target better than the monumental trigger travel on your other Sig.

I have a bunch of 1911's - although I primarily carry a glock these days. Sig does make a 1911 - and it's pretty decent. I have 2 - the original GSR (Granite State Revolution) in the Nitron finish and a later model Platinum Elite. The only mod I've made was adding a Wilson safety and a Nighthawk MSH with magwell to the GSG.

I ran the GSR at the Sig Academy for 5 days straight and over 4000 rounds of frangible ammo without a hiccup. The only wear was the finish was pretty well gone from the magwell and safety.

So - if you're a Sig fan, they make a bunch of different models. Caleb from Gun Nuts Media is testing one now and writing about it about once a week.

Good luck to ya!

Edit - fix brain fart. GSG changed to GSR
    Last edited by Skullz; March 28th, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Bitten by the Model 1911 bug... Why me?

Welcome to the club and know this, it is not a cheap club to belong too. I was bitten a while back by a Kimber Tactical Pro II. Till then I'd never really even gave much thought to getting a 1911. But now that have one, I'm thinking I'd like another one.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Philadelphia County)

Feeling the same thing.

Went to the range this weekend thinking about buying an HK45. Just to be sure, rented a HK45, Sig 220 and a Springfield 1911 to shoot side by side. Looks like I'm buying a 1911 next. More fun to shoot, great accuracy, better feel and it's just damn pretty.

Trying to decide between one of the stainless SA loaded models and the Kimber TLE II stainless.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    -BIG SNIP-
    Anyway, it looks like I'm now in the market for a 1911... that's a good thing right?
    If you plan to use th 1911 for self-defense carry, do you feel completely comfortable carrying the 1911 "cocked and locked"? I do agree that if you carry a 1911, that is the condition to carry it in.

It's just that everyone does not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and the hammer back.. Most people who carry 1911s will assure you that carrying this way is safe. It's just that it doesn't look or feel safe to some.

I own two 1911s and have used them in competition. I tried carrying one for self-defense but really didn't feel comfortable with it. YMMV

(I'm prepared to get flamed for this comment.)
    Last edited by ranger7; March 28th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger7 View Post
    If you plan to use th 1911 for self-defense carry, do you feel completely comfortable carrying the 1911 "cocked and locked"? I do agree that if you carry a 1911, that is the condition to carry it in.
    Bill at Freedom Armory also covered this in his demonstration of the 1911, and said the same thing. He told me that having a 1911 in Condition 1 (cocked and locked) is NOT everyone's cup of tea, especially when conceal/carrying because people have a hard time with the notion of a live round in the chamber with the hammer cocked.

However, he did assure me that having and embracing an attitude of "safety first" there shouldn't be a hangup in carrying a pistol with a round chambered, the hammer back, and the safety on. As far as me being comfortable with it, it all comes down to training, muscle memory (in regards to the safety lever) and feeling comfortable with the tools that you use.

i carried my 1911 around for one week in a holster in the " cocked and locked" or "condition 1" whatever way you want to say it, with the chamber empty. i did this to see if the thumb safety would fall on its own, and to no surprise, it didnt. once i seen that for myself, there was no other way to carry my 1911, but condition 1. now, i just glance down at her every once and a while to make sure the thumb safety is up. once you get past the thought of carrying cocked and locked, you will see that is truely safe and the only way a 1911 should be carried.
    oh, and welcome to the 1911 club!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast