Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Obscure red dot image shows up normal in picture?

Before I begin, this thread is not about cheap red dot optics. Please spare all the "you should have paid more for real optics". Thanks.

I bought a cheap BSA red dot for plinking. It's actually pretty damn accurate but it has one "glaring" flaw... there's a glare on the dot. There is a round red dot in the center but it has 2 glaring reflections at about 2:30 and 8:30 which radiate outward about the same length as the dots diameter.

Here's the weird part... I tried to take a picture of it using my phone, and the dot appears perfect! The glare is not visible in the photo! Are my eyes going bad or is the camera lens just not good enough to pick up the flaws?

I don't know whether I should try returning it and try another or if I should just count my blessings that it actually lights up and is accurate if I ignore the glare. The only reason I bought the $39.99 optic is because they were out of the $19.99 red dots at Cabela's yesterday. I'm simply not spending a fortune on plinking until I know I'm going to stick with the sport.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Obscure red dot image shows up normal in picture?

If you had the flash on your camera it could have drowned it out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
    Before I begin, this thread is not about cheap red dot optics. Please spare all the "you should have paid more for real optics". Thanks.

I bought a cheap BSA red dot for plinking. It's actually pretty damn accurate but it has one "glaring" flaw... there's a glare on the dot. There is a round red dot in the center but it has 2 glaring reflections at about 2:30 and 8:30 which radiate outward about the same length as the dots diameter.

Here's the weird part... I tried to take a picture of it using my phone, and the dot appears perfect! The glare is not visible in the photo! Are my eyes going bad or is the camera lens just not good enough to pick up the flaws?

I don't know whether I should try returning it and try another or if I should just count my blessings that it actually lights up and is accurate if I ignore the glare. The only reason I bought the $39.99 optic is because they were out of the $19.99 red dots at Cabela's yesterday. I'm simply not spending a fortune on plinking until I know I'm going to stick with the sport.
    It might actually be your eyes.

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: Obscure red dot image shows up normal in picture?

Friends don't let friends buy cheap... oh - never mind...

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a BSA red dot.. Like you said, it is actually pretty accurate just for messing around shooting the 22. Never noticed what you are describing. But does it still do it at different brightness settings?

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    I picked up a BSA red dot.. Like you said, it is actually pretty accurate just for messing around shooting the 22. Never noticed what you are describing. But does it still do it at different brightness settings?

Do you wear glasses or contacts?
    I tried all brightness settings, it's always visable. No, I don't wear corrective lenses. Yes, I need my eyes checked anyway. No, I don't see glaring any other time looking at anything else.

I'm just wondering if it makes scientific sense that another lens can't pickup the glare.

(Montgomery County)

I dunno on that.. Did you still see the glare on the view finder of the camera?

Now, I need to check mine out.. So if there is a MWAG call in Bristol, that is me checking the Red dot sight in the parking lot at work. LoL..

(Bucks County)

It could be astigmatism. Some people can't pick up the right dot or holographic sights well, but seem to have otherwise good vision.

(Montgomery County)

Well, my eyes are messed up, I have an eye disease, that is messing with my sight, which is prob the reason I'm right eye dom instead of left eye since I'm left handed.. The disease progressed more in my left eye.

Anyway, I checked out my red dot.. BSA I think model RD42. I think I see what you are talking about.. but I didn't notice it initially. It appeared the more I kept looking at it.. Granted I was in the back of the car, trying not to expose the rifle to much to anyone walking by. So It was pointing into the case. Anywho, It looked like a blurr to the 7-8 oclock part of the dot. Like you took your finger and smeared it a little.

I don't really remember noticing that before though, LoL. The Dot does look like its 3 tiny dots grouped together though.

Hmm, go to Uno's and meet strange guns with people, or go to range to check this further, lol..

You just ruined my Optics. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Obscure red dot image shows up normal in picture?

maybe glocoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast