Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Possibly moving to NJ, what do I do with my suppressor?

Sometime in the next few months I may be moving to NJ. I'm not happy about the idea of living there, and it definitely won't be permanent, but I'm a few years out of college and have the opportunity for a well-paying job that is too good to turn down.

I already understand that most of my guns can't come with me to NJ, and they will most likely be staying here with family, but I am unsure what to do with my suppressor. I know it can't come with me, but I would assume I would still have to do a change of address with the ATF. Will they even allow me to change the address to a state that doesn't allow the possession of the item?

If possible, I would like to leave the suppressor in my father's safe so I could still visit it on the weekends, but I'm not sure if that would be allowed either since I would no longer live there? Or possibly I would need to store in somewhere where no one else could have access to it, like a safety deposit box?

I definitely don't want to sell it, so hopefully I can find the right procedure for what I need to do. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Side note: the suppressor paperwork has my name on it, and is not owned by a trust or corporation. If I had anticipated moving to NJ when I bought it I would have probably gone the trust route and added a few friends/family as trustees for just such a situation.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Possibly moving to NJ, what do I do with my suppressor?

As one of many PAFOA members,,,,let us say our condolences

PRNJ%20seal.jpg

Good luck and be careful when crossing over enemy lines!

Jay Bell should be along to clear up what you really want to know.
    Careful some of those Zombies could be Americans!

(Adams County)

Make sure you can't have it before you assume you can't. I'm not into the ATF stuff, but I know my brother lives in NJ and has a fully auto MP5 and something else (can't remember) and a suppressor for one of his guns.

Also, some guns are OK so long as you don't exceed the magazine capacity, but aren't ATF items given special consideration since you're going through a lengthy process with the federal government to obtain them?

I did find this list and holy crap...I'd rather not move to NJ at all.

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm

The good news is you can leave the non ATF stuff with your parents until you escape the NJ Concentration Camp, but man...is that job REALLY worth it???

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Delaware County)

My question would be just how far into NJ is the job, if you have to move anyway move closer to the PA/NJ line and stay on the PA side, of course.

If the job (money) is that good the extra travel cost wouldn't be to hard to handle, my wife travels 45 miles one way to her job each day.

(Armstrong County)

I will give my take/opinion/info that i know.
    If im wrong, im sure others will chime in and correct.

You can only posses/own a machine gun and/or and AOW in NJ.
    No cans.

If you leave your can in PA, it must be locked up so no one else has access to it, like a safety deposit box. Just like you noted.

As long as you dont plan on staying permanently, i wouldnt bother changing your address, unless by law you have to.
    If you do, then dual residency comes into play, I have no knowledge of that topic.

(Washington County)

If a safe deposit box is an option, think of the worth of the transfer and sale, vs how long it will be and the fee for the SDB.

Be careful. Just because its in the law, doent mean you will be protected. look at Brian Aiken.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If a safe deposit box is an option, think of the worth of the transfer and sale, vs how long it will be and the fee for the SDB.

Be careful. Just because its in the law, doent mean you will be protected. look at Brian Aiken.
    If the only requirement is that it be kept away from others, couldn't he just buy a small firesafe like they have at Staples and such and keep it at his parents home, then he'd only have the key/combination? It would seem to be cheaper than a SDB, and fulfill the requirement.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I imagine you don't want to read this OP, but I'm going to remark anyway.

Seriously consider this choice. I completely understand a young person needing to get established in a good paying position, but there may be other opportunities in other friendly states around the corner, or a commuting possibility in the future.

Many, many people say it will only be a few years and get trapped living somewhere they would rather not for half their life. It happens in the blink of an eye. The cost of living in NJ is through the roof. It’s not how much you make. It’s how much you keep.

Good Luck!
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I imagine you don't want to read this OP, but I'm going to remark anyway.

Seriously consider this choice. I completely understand a young person needing to get established in a good paying position, but there may be other opportunities in other friendly states around the corner, or a commuting possibility in the future.

Many, many people say it will only be a few years and get trapped living somewhere they would rather not for half their life. It happens in the blink of an eye. The cost of living in NJ is through the roof. It’s not how much you make. It’s how much you keep.
    Good Luck!
    This^^^^^.

I work in the PRNJ, and would rather drive 155 miles a day than live there. Every night when I cross the bridge, I feel like I just got out on parole.

It is cheaper to commute than it is to live there.....Way cheaper.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Thanks for the advise so far, though I'm still not sure where or not I need to do the change of address right away.

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Make sure you can't have it before you assume you can't.
    The good news is you can leave the non ATF stuff with your parents until you escape the NJ Concentration Camp, but man...is that job REALLY worth it???
    So far everything I've seen said that the suppressor can't go into NJ, and there are some pretty harsh penalties for breaking that rule that I'd rather not play around with. As for my other guns, some have hi-cap mags that would stay with family, but the others could come with me. And yes... the job really is worth it. High pay, benefits, and frequent travel... none of which I have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If the only requirement is that it be kept away from others, couldn't he just buy a small firesafe like they have at Staples and such and keep it at his parents home, then he'd only have the key/combination? It would seem to be cheaper than a SDB, and fulfill the requirement.
    After I suggested the deposit box I thought more about how it wouldn't be cost effective, so (assuming it is ok) I would leave it locked in my small safe, which would then probably be in the larger safe at my father's house. That way it's very secure but only I'd have access.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    The cost of living in NJ is through the roof. It’s not how much you make. It’s how much you keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    This^^^^^.

I work in the PRNJ, and would rather drive 155 miles a day than live there. Every night when I cross the bridge, I feel like I just got out on parole.

It is cheaper to commute than it is to live there.....Way cheaper.
    I understand the arguments for commuting, but I already live as close to the border as I can get and the commute would be at least 50 miles each way. My GF does that same commute right now and besides the cost of gas, it is the added stress of the frequent driving that I would rather avoid. Not to mention that it turns an 8 hour work day into a 10 hour work day... without traffic. And the cost of rent in the East Stroudsburg area is ridiculous, so much in fact that a similar sized place in NJ is probably cheaper, so to say that commuting is cheaper than living there isn't entirely true.

Either way, moving to NJ isn't set in stone, and may be avoidable... I just need to know what to do with my suppressor should it come to that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast