Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Possibly moving to NJ, what do I do with my suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    I like how it's ok for the gf to make the drive, but Baby Jesus forbid you have to do it. It's really not that big of a deal, especially considering the massive cost-savings in insurance and taxes. Like it or not, this is your only solution if you want to maintain your illusion of freedom at its current level.
    I never said it was ok for her to do it but not for me. She doesn't want to commute either. The car insurance issue seems reasonable until you realize that the 100 + miles a day adds approx. $3000 a year just in the cost of gas (at current prices), not to mention added car maintenance from the wear and tear. Even if my current insurance doubled, I'd still be saving money by living closer.

Regardless, this thread isn't about the pros and cons of commuting, or of living in NJ vs. PA, or of how I'd be ruining my life by deciding that having a job is higher on my priority list than owning guns. I just wanted to know if there would be any issues with my suppressor paperwork if I changed my address to a state that doesn't allow them, and if I could legally store the suppressor in a place I wasn't currently living?

I appreciate the responses, and I honestly agree with most of them... I just wanted to get the thread back on track...

(Lehigh County)

Moving from PA to NJ is like moving from West Germany to East Germany during the Cold War.

As for your silencer predicament, from what I understand, the ATF will not approve an address change if you move to a location where your NFA item is prohibited. NJ is one of these places.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Active duty police officers are exempt from the state laws covering machine guns (and what N.J. calls "assault firearms") and may own them privately- active duty officers are NOT exempt from short barreled shotgun and suppressor laws.

If you read the law its "possessing" not owning. To own an automatic weapon a NJ LEO has to get the state permit in addition to Federal requirements. I spent over 20 years as a LEO in NJ and do not know of any LEO that has or has had a personally owned full auto weapon.

The same goes for what NJ calls "assault weapons". The state permit procedure is the same as a full auto weapon. Every state and local agency I know of requires their officers to use department issue long guns.

AFAIK there are no NJ state permits issued for any kind of personally owned full auto weapon or surpressor.

Someone related their brother who is some type of SWAT member in corrections has a MP5. I would be 99.99999% sure this is an agency issued MP5 and not his personal weapon.

(Chester County)

Man my advice is don't do it altogether. How much is your personal freedom/ US RIGHTS worth to you? I'm assuming since your on this site you carry? Thats completly out the window. Your can, I'm sure even if you can find some defacto leagle way to keep it, your really playing your cards having it in nazi NJ if you go that route. I would say just stay here man and try to find something equal or better here in PA or some other non NAZI state.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    My question would be just how far into NJ is the job, if you have to move anyway move closer to the PA/NJ line and stay on the PA side, of course.

If the job (money) is that good the extra travel cost wouldn't be to hard to handle, my wife travels 45 miles one way to her job each day.
    I traveled 100 miles one way every day for 3 years at my last construction job. All depends on the money for sure.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    Active duty police officers are exempt from the state laws covering machine guns (and what N.J. calls "assault firearms") and may own them privately- active duty officers are NOT exempt from short barreled shotgun and suppressor laws.

If you read the law its "possessing" not owning. To own an automatic weapon a NJ LEO has to get the state permit in addition to Federal requirements. I spent over 20 years as a LEO in NJ and do not know of any LEO that has or has had a personally owned full auto weapon.

The same goes for what NJ calls "assault weapons". The state permit procedure is the same as a full auto weapon. Every state and local agency I know of requires their officers to use department issue long guns.

AFAIK there are no NJ state permits issued for any kind of personally owned full auto weapon or surpressor.

Someone related their brother who is some type of SWAT member in corrections has a MP5. I would be 99.99999% sure this is an agency issued MP5 and not his personal weapon.
    I talked to a friend of mine who is a dealer of NFA items in N.J.- I stand corrected on FFL possession of suppressors in N.J. He advises that he has facilitated the transfer of suppressors for police departments but the suppressors are drop shipped from the manufacturer directly to the p.d.

As far as leo NOT being exempted from state law in N.J., I was leo in N.J. for over 20 years (in addition to having an FFL there) and I personally owned 2 machineguns, both on form 4's.

Additionally, I'm familiar with at least half a dozen others. The dealer who did the transfers for me had a fairly substantial bound book of nfa leo transfers.

I still have copies of the forms.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

As far as leo NOT being exempted from state law in N.J., I was leo in N.J. for over 20 years (in addition to having an FFL there) and I personally owned 2 machineguns, both on form 4's.

Additionally, I'm familiar with at least half a dozen others. The dealer who did the transfers for me had a fairly substantial bound book of nfa leo transfers.

Okay then I stand corrected. I wasn't aware a NJ LEO was actually exempted from state permits with full auto weapons. There have been some cases regarding LEOs with "assault weapons" and they must be used on the job (at least now).

(Chester County)

I understand the exemption for LEOs wrt possession under 2C:39-5 & 6 as previously cited but I'm unable to locate any exemption for LEOs that would allow them to avoid the procedures specified in 2C:58-5 for 'personal' purchase of machine guns/assault weapons.

Any citations?
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I never said it was ok for her to do it but not for me. She doesn't want to commute either. The car insurance issue seems reasonable until you realize that the 100 + miles a day adds approx. $3000 a year just in the cost of gas (at current prices), not to mention added car maintenance from the wear and tear. Even if my current insurance doubled, I'd still be saving money by living closer.

Regardless, this thread isn't about the pros and cons of commuting, or of living in NJ vs. PA, or of how I'd be ruining my life by deciding that having a job is higher on my priority list than owning guns. I just wanted to know if there would be any issues with my suppressor paperwork if I changed my address to a state that doesn't allow them, and if I could legally store the suppressor in a place I wasn't currently living?

I appreciate the responses, and I honestly agree with most of them... I just wanted to get the thread back on track...
    Unfortunately for you the "off track" responses weren't really off track, they are probably your only answer to legally keep your suppressor while taking a job in New Jersey.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Not to one up ya but ..... when she moved in with me she was traveling 110 miles oneway for half a year. Living in the Philly area and finishing the school year in the Harrisburg area.

The rest of your post is exactly what I and a few others have suggested. All things considered, if it was me, I'd rather deal with a longer commute than a complete loss of freedom.

Aw Shit! You're making me feel guilty like I one upped ya first- Just sayin long commutes are pretty common nowadays. Seems like the good paying jobs tend to be in areas where nobody wants to live.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234