Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Ordering guns online: Procedure?

I've been wanting to build my first AR for a while, and it occurs ot me that this is a really good deal for a supposedly decent stripped lower. (Of course they also ran out of stock today, right when I get around to this...)

Anyway, I've never ordered a gun online before, and all I know is that it has to go through a FFL. Unfortunately, the actual procedure for sale is poorly defined, and I don't like to get into anything without knowing exactly what to expect. Can anyone clarify, and suggest a FFL with decent (ie, low) transfer fees?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ordering guns online: Procedure?

You'll need to find a local FFL (all of their fees will be an average of $20.00, give or take) and see if they are willing to do this, most are so it shouldn't be a problem. Have them fax a copy of their FFL to AIM. After that AIM will ship the receiver to your FFL, and it will be transfered to you. Contact AIM, they may require that you purchase the lower first, then have your dealer write your order number on the FFL so there's no confusion.

(Bradford County)

I recently just did this myself with a lower from Spikes Tactical.

I made the purchase through Spikes for the product, i also had to supply the FFL information in the order, and have the FFL contact/fax them a copy of their FFL.

Once they received all that, they processed the order, it shipped right to my FFL, who called me to come get it, filled out the paperwork, payed my $25 transfer fee, and walked out with it.

only the lower is needed for the FFL, unless you are going with a SBR, (Short Barreled Rifle, Less then 16" barrel), for the upper then that is a whole list of other things needed to do and someone else will fill you in on that.

Good Luck! Nice Deal on that lower!

(Lehigh County)

I've been looking around at alot of sites about this myself. Looks like every website has a different procedure, so you have to go thru it and read the fine print.

I have ordered from Budsgunshop.com, and they have a list of dealers they have already done business with. Pick an FFL you like, give 'em a call after you place the order to let them know it's coming, and you'll have yourself a new gun shortly.

Dangerously easy....

(Centre County)

legendarylorot,

PM Xringshooter on here. He is local to State College (lemont) and has be my local "dealer" for a number of years now. I've done all transfers through him for a while now, Ron is easy to work with and is very accommodating. I would imagine AIM already has his FLL info too though I don't know for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

As ithinkimamedic said, I do a lot of transfers for people in the State College area. AIM, Buds, and a good number of other places already have my license on file. Here's how it goes (I'll give 2 different scenerios):

1. You order a gun from an online dealer (say Bud's).
    2. If they don't have my FFL on file they will tell you.
    3. You contact me.
    4. I'll tell you to get me the dealers name, address, phone, fax and email (as much as you can get). I may already have the info and I'll let you know if I do.
    5. Tell me what you are ordering and an order number if you have it.
    6. I then send them a copy of my FFL and tell them I will be doing the transfer.
    7. When the gun arrives, I do my paperwork and let you know it's in and set up a time to do the transfer.
    8. We do the paperwork and you undergo the background check. If all is good, you pay me and leave with your new gun.

1. You bid on and win an online auction.
    2. You contact me.
    3. I'll tell you to get me the sellers name, address, phone, fax and email (as much as you can get).
    4. Tell me what you bought and the auction number
    5. I then send the seller a copy of my FFL and tell them I will be doing the transfer.
    6. When the gun arrives, I do my paperwork and let you know it's in and set up a time to do the transfer.
    7. We do the paperwork and you undergo the background check. If all is good, you pay me and leave with your new gun.

I actually have a sliding scale for transfers, the more guns bought at the same time, by the same person, the less the per gun cost is.

A one gun transfer is $20.00, this includes everything (paperwork, PICS, etc.)
    2 guns is $35.00
    3 guns is $45.00
    4 guns is $50.00
    Each gun over 4 add $10 for each one
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Thumbs up Re: Ordering guns online: Procedure?

I've done two transfers with xringshooter, one on line order, one gunbroker auction.

Great guy.

(Centre County)

I wish I'd checked this 26 hours ago when that lower came back in stock, but I'll definitely hit up Xring next time I go this route. I should have thought of that first- I remember chatting with him very briefly at last year's sporting goods garage sale.

Thanks for the help guys- this went a lot smoother since I knew what to expect and how the process works.