Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question Can i get a out of state carry permit

If i can how do i get it??

Default Re: Can i get a out of state carry permit

pennsylvania wont give you one, unless you have one from your state.

you can get one from another state, that issues non-residents permits/licenses, which reciprocate with PA.

Arizona seems to be a good choice.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    pennsylvania wont give you one, unless you have one from your state.

you can get one from another state, that issues non-residents permits/licenses, which reciprocate with PA.

Arizona seems to be a good choice.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
    EDIT - Hope I didn't misread your post...

Yup except the OP is in NJ.

While he's in NJ, he can't carry shit, with any kind of license (unless you are one of the oh, 5 people in the state with a NJ Permit. I've been assured that they DO exist).

As for an out of state license being honored while he's in PA, well, I would refer to the OP to chucksniper's recent ramblings on how he thought FOPA protected him on his way from NJ to PA.... You gotta get the gun from NJ to PA before you can carry in PA...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; March 26th, 2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: hope i didn't misread the quote

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm(your home) to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm(PA with non resi CCW) if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

This site has some good info.

http://www.usacarry.com/
    Last edited by libra8; March 26th, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post

As for an out of state license being honored while he's in PA, well, I would refer to the OP to chucksniper's recent ramblings on how he thought FOPA protected him on his way from NJ to PA.... You gotta get the gun from NJ to PA before you can carry in PA...

Regards,

Bones

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!

Be very careful if you think you won't get tossed in jail if you are pulled over while still in NJ. You will be at the officers mercy as to whether you end up a felon or not.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Op is in NJ

So pretty much.... No

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by yankee red neck View Post
    If i can how do i get it??
    Your best bet living in NJ would be to obtain an Arizona permit. We offer courses that meet the requiments to obtain an Arizona permit pluse we will complete your required fingerprints on site also.

AZ is much cheaper then a FL permit and you would still be able to carry in PA, DE, VA, OH to name a few nearby states to NJ.

Unfortunately you still will be stripped of your constitutional rights in NJ and your AZ permit would not be valid in NJ.

gbrown221
    Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor and Chief Range Safety Officer
    info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org
    (215) 310-5436 office

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Your best bet living in NJ would be to obtain an Arizona permit. We offer courses that meet the requiments to obtain an Arizona permit pluse we will complete your required fingerprints on site also.

AZ is much cheaper then a FL permit and you would still be able to carry in PA, DE, VA, OH to name a few nearby states to NJ.

Unfortunately you still will be stripped of your constitutional rights in NJ and your AZ permit would not be valid in NJ.

gbrown221
    Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor and Chief Range Safety Officer
    info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org
    (215) 310-5436 office
    how would he legally go from NJ to those states to be able to take advantage of the AZ permit?

It would be like someone giving him a parachute on the ground while he is already in the air.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    how would he legally go from NJ to those states to be able to take advantage of the AZ permit?

It would be like someone giving him a parachute on the ground while he is already in the air.
    the lawyers on here will have to chime in as I am not qualified to give legal advice but wouldn't he be covered under the federal transport statute as long as he transports the firearm in a locked hard sided case with the ammunition seperate from the firearm out of immediate reach, etc.

One of my close friends is an NJ lawyer with carry permits from multiple states to included Utah, Florida, and CT. He reportedly checks his firearms on airlines, etc. to be able to legally carry in the states he visits if his permit is valid there.

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm(your home) to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm(PA with non resi CCW) if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

This site has some good info.

http://www.usacarry.com/

I think the part you are not understanding is that your protection for interstate travel doesn’t kick in until you have left your home state in this situation.

Under the assumption that FOPA protects you while in NJ essentially means that you have circumvented your own states laws in order to carry in Pa. You have no exception under NJ law that permits you to transport a firearm into Pa for the sole purpose of carrying a firearm while here. You still need to be transporting your firearm within the NJ law while in NJ.

Edited for clarity....hopefully
    Last edited by God's Country; March 26th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast