Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Cobra 380

(Columbia County)

Default Cobra 380

First off let me say I bought this without doing my homework first.And sorry I didn't research them.Took it to the range with a friend of mine and figured I'd get some shoot time in.Had a few FTE's,but nothing major.On the last mag and half way through,it blew up,literally.I saw something fly off the front of it and thought WTF.Here it blew the end of the slide off from in front of the site and the slide ended up to the left of me.In the end,I wasn't hurt and the place I bought from is sending it back to Cobra.Learned a hard lesson,you get what you pay for.Just wanted to share this experience.Have more pics if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Cobra 380

Thanks for the heads up. My buddy has a codra 380. I will definetly have to show this to him. He is not very happy with his either. We cant get it to cycle an entire mag for the life of us.

(Columbia County)

Yea I only had roughly 100 rounds through it.Had bought for self protection,but glad it happened at the range instead of in situation.But then I wasn't glad it happened period.If they replace it,I'll keep it till I know of a couple of programs that you can turn in guns that you no longer want.I feel after this experience,they shouldn't be allowed to be sold.But that is just my opinion.

(York County)

Glad to here that you're ok. "You get what you pay for" can be an expensive lesson. If price is an issue in purchasing a firearm, I suggest buying a used firearm from a reputable manufacturer over a new gun from a unknown or suspect firm.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Glad to here that you're ok. "You get what you pay for" can be an expensive lesson. If price is an issue in purchasing a firearm, I suggest buying a used firearm from a reputable manufacturer over a new gun from a unknown or suspect firm.
    Thats what I'm doing for my next one.I've been looking at a couple of Ruger P89's.Esp from what I have read about them,reliable,rugged firearms

(Monroe County)

I was going to look into one of these as a cheap pocket pistol ..... Not Now!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Thats what I'm doing for my next one.I've been looking at a couple of Ruger P89's.Esp from what I have read about them,reliable,rugged firearms
    And pretty cost effective too. They are ugly, but they work.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Fayette County)

The "Cobra" company bought the design and patent of this pistol from a company called "Davis Industries" back in the late 90's.

The Davis brand models weren't that great, but they were made a little better than the Cobra brand.

It looks like the Cobra brand are using die cast slides which means that are VERY VERY brittle and can break easily.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Get the Ruger. While they are not the "BEST" gun on the market, there is nothing wrong with one.