Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns at walmart

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Guns at walmart

Quote Originally Posted by 18mm View Post
    Walmart has a large catalog to look through and they can get you many different guns and the price is cheaper than anyone else.
    And when you need to send the gun for service or get an accessory Walmart won't help you. No thanks. Half the problem we have in this country is we only shop price, not quality of service or product. I bet if you compare prices against local shops (not chains like Cabelas or Bass Pro) they give Walmart a run for their money. I've been given free ammo from my gun shop, not from walmart.

(Adams County)

Well there are guns that were made specificly for Walmart and are collectable. The 10/22 green laminated stock gun was a good example............made only for Walmart. So Ruger is making a gun that you can only buy at Walmart but if you want it, that's where you have to buy it. Regarding repair service, I have never dealt with anyone other than the manufacturer but only had two cases where a gun had to be repaired but those were used guns. That's two guns out of hundreds and over almost 40 years. It's rediculous to think that by saving money, you must sacrifice quality.

(Cumberland County)

It's ridiculous to think that by saving money, you must sacrifice quality.
    Not true, I know for a fact that when I sold power tools the major manufactures cheapened their products (plastic gears instead of brass) for the Box stores. I've been told by someone that repairs TV's that the ones that Walmart sells have lower quality parts also. They often have model or serial numbers specific for that chain. My wife bought a sheet set from Walmart two weeks ago. King sheets with king pillow cases. The sheets barely hang over the edge of the bed and the pillow cases are too small for the pillows. We went to Boscov's and got some real nice sets for the same money.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    Not true, I know for a fact that when I sold power tools the major manufactures cheapened their products (plastic gears instead of brass) for the Box stores. I've been told by someone that repairs TV's that the ones that Walmart sells have lower quality parts also. They often have model or serial numbers specific for that chain. My wife bought a sheet set from Walmart two weeks ago. King sheets with king pillow cases. The sheets barely hang over the edge of the bed and the pillow cases are too small for the pillows. We went to Boscov's and got some real nice sets for the same money.
    Exactly right. I went to a local locksmith today because I'm shopping for a firearm safe. He showed me the differences between the safes he has in stock, and ones with the same brand name that are sold by big box stores.

He also told me that a major manufacturer (Liberty) recently stopped producing safes under their own name, and instead now sell as a store label (Timberline), because they don't want to risk their good reputation by connecting their name to a lower quality product.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Exactly right. I went to a local locksmith today because I'm shopping for a firearm safe. He showed me the differences between the safes he has in stock, and ones with the same brand name that are sold by big box stores.

He also told me that a major manufacturer (Liberty) recently stopped producing safes under their own name, and instead now sell as a store label (Timberline), because they don't want to risk their good reputation by connecting their name to a lower quality product.
    That is correct, and if you look the serial number up or Model No , I should say, on the manufacturers website, you probably won't find it.

Good example is John Deere Tractors at Home Depot. Most electronics at WalMart.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    We aren't talking about bed sheets or televisions. The 10/22 made specifically for Walmart was nice and the only difference was the laminated stock color otherwise, it was the same gun. Ruger isn't going to produce a lower quality gun just because Walmart says so. If everyone remembers, Walmart was accused of selling products at a loss, simply to drive away the competition. If they had a different product than everyone else, they could sell it for less but it wouldn't be less than the competition since the competition didn't have the same product.
    Regarding plastic gears for box stores, power tool brands have plastic gears, regardless of where they're sold. Black & Decker is right down the street and they produce Dewalt also. Dewalt has brass gears and B&D has plastic. Walmart isn't the only store that sells Black & Decker products and none are made specifically for Walmart.
    Getting back to guns. Considering the quality that some here claim to be of a lower level that Walmart sells, where would that quality be compromised?
    Would the bolt of a Walmart Remington 700 be plastic? Would the stock have termites? Rivets instead of screws? Paint instead of bluing?
    It's one thing to be broad minded but foolish to be narrow minded.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpertz View Post
    That is correct, and if you look the serial number up or Model No , I should say, on the manufacturers website, you probably won't find it.

Good example is John Deere Tractors at Home Depot. Most electronics at WalMart.
    Two years ago, I was shopping for a zero turn but the local John Deere dealer didn't have any of the model I wanted. They told me to go to Lowe's because they had three. I asked them how they knew and the salesman told me they had just serviced and delivered them. Now that was from their own inventory so the quality difference doesn't apply there either.

(Adams County)

Walmart sells groceries too. Does Walmart make the chickens lay poor quality eggs? Buy a quart of Mobile1 at Walmart and buy one from AutoZone and show me the difference, other than the price.

(Cumberland County)

Walmart sells groceries too. Does Walmart make the chickens lay poor quality eggs? Buy a quart of Mobile1 at Walmart and buy one from AutoZone and show me the difference, other than the price.
    Two years ago, I was shopping for a zero turn but the local John Deere dealer didn't have any of the model I wanted. They told me to go to Lowe's because they had three. I asked them how they knew and the salesman told me they had just serviced and delivered them. Now that was from their own inventory so the quality difference doesn't apply there either.

We aren't talking about bed sheets or televisions. The 10/22 made specifically for Walmart was nice and the only difference was the laminated stock color otherwise, it was the same gun. Ruger isn't going to produce a lower quality gun just because Walmart says so. If everyone remembers, Walmart was accused of selling products at a loss, simply to drive away the competition. If they had a different product than everyone else, they could sell it for less but it wouldn't be less than the competition since the competition didn't have the same product.
    Regarding plastic gears for box stores, power tool brands have plastic gears, regardless of where they're sold. Black & Decker is right down the street and they produce Dewalt also. Dewalt has brass gears and B&D has plastic. Walmart isn't the only store that sells Black & Decker products and none are made specifically for Walmart.
    Getting back to guns. Considering the quality that some here claim to be of a lower level that Walmart sells, where would that quality be compromised?
    Would the bolt of a Walmart Remington 700 be plastic? Would the stock have termites? Rivets instead of screws? Paint instead of bluing?
    It's one thing to be broad minded but foolish to be narrow minded.
    Never said every item at Walmart was compromised, however many are. If you are happy shopping there keep doing it. I however will continue to minimize my shopping there. I buy my groceries from grocery stores that have a wider selection of products and hire more people than walmart. I buy my gun supplies from the guy who has a wide variety in stock, not just the quick sellers like walmart.

when i was in small engine repair, i had to go to home depot to do some pdi's <initial setup/uncrating> on john deere tractors, because they ship them to the store and mechanic has to come out and oil, check and adjust them.
    the only thing i know about all of it is i heard they'll throw a damaged tractor in the dumpster rather than recrate/return. and i think model wise, they just sell the low end less expensive ones, not "special".

walmart sells guns of some no-name brand... i forget what it is but i know it's their least expensive stuff, had trouble finding the company online.

Edit: i've been burned by walmart<online/retail stores> a few times and really will not shop there anymore, add to that it smells like poo and is a crime zone. <east stroudsburg walmart>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast