Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question New to PA, need to get my permit

Hey everyone!

I just moved in from North CA about 40 days ago, and want to continue to be able to legally CCW. This has been pushed to the forefront for me after several incidents that occurred near me. The process is very different from CA. My main issue being personal references, the only people that know me is people from work. I'd rather not try to use them as a reference for obvious reasons. What are my best options to get my permit ASAP?

Non-resident or resident?

Also, I am looking for a good private range near South Allentown. Any good ones?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: New to PA, need to get my permit

Find out if your references have to be local. Some sheriff's require them to be local residents (and sometimes for a at least X years) and others don't. If your sheriff doesn't require them to be county residents, use people from back home who know you.

If the sheriff does require them to be local, find a good shooting range, go make friends. Sorry I can't help on the range, I've only been to Allentown a handful of times, and don't know where ANY ranges are, let alone "good" ones. I'm sure somebody here does, though.

(Lehigh County)

Well I just found out PA has reciprocity with Flordia, and maybe other states, never thought of this option before. Anybody here done this?

How long does a non-resident permit last? Do I still need local references for this?

Thanks for the quick response, the sheriff in Lehigh requires local references, and I am hoping to get into a private gun club and get new friends and references there.

xd675,
    I'm not sure but I believe to get a Florida non-res permit, you need to have a permit in the state in which you reside. There is no reason not to get your permit in PA, but yes getting a non-resident Florida permit will also allow you carry in more states via reciprocity agreements.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Quote Originally Posted by xd675 View Post
    Hey everyone!

I just moved in from North CA about 40 days ago, and want to continue to be able to legally CCW. This has been pushed to the forefront for me after several incidents that occurred near me. The process is very different from CA. My main issue being personal references, the only people that know me is people from work. I'd rather not try to use them as a reference for obvious reasons. What are my best options to get my permit ASAP?

Non-resident or resident?

Also, I am looking for a good private range near South Allentown. Any good ones?
    York Co. doesn't require local ref's, 1 of mine is from MD.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    xd675,
    I'm not sure but I believe to get a Florida non-res permit, you need to have a permit in the state in which you reside. There is no reason not to get your permit in PA, but yes getting a non-resident Florida permit will also allow you carry in more states via reciprocity agreements.
    Florida does not require a permit from your state.

Quote Originally Posted by xd675 View Post
    Well I just found out PA has reciprocity with Flordia, and maybe other states, never thought of this option before. Anybody here done this?

How long does a non-resident permit last? Do I still need local references for this?

Thanks for the quick response, the sheriff in Lehigh requires local references, and I am hoping to get into a private gun club and get new friends and references there.
    I have a florida permit if thats what your asking, but i also have a Pa LTCF. While PA honors the florida permit there is some dispute as if a PA resident with a FL non res permit is legal or not. The law says it is, but the local LEO sometiems disagree. Florida permits last 5 years and there are no reference requirements.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: New to PA, need to get my permit

I'm just surprised to hear you lived in Ca and had a permit. I didn't think anyone got unless they were famous. Are you Joe Montana?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Berks County)

Last time I checked (over a year ago), the Lehigh Sheriff requires references to be Lehigh county residents. I work in Allentown, and a co-worker who lived in Lehigh county at the time wanted to get a permit. I volunteered to be a reference for him, but when he checked with the Lehigh Sheriff's office they told him he couldn't use me as one because I live in Berks county, and that references must be Lehigh residents. Not sure if the Sheriff's office has changed their tune since, but I would doubt it.

There's nothing in the law that specifically allows the Sheriff to do this, but nothing that specifically prevents him either.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lehigh County)

Lehigh County asks for 2 Lehigh county references as of last February. Would have no reason to think they changed it.

(Berks County)

Just realized I didn't really answer your question. IMHO, your best bet is to make some friends and get your resident permit. You're less likely to have a problem in PA with a resident permit as opposed to a non-resident one, especially given that many LEOs don't know the law with respect to either.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast