Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Talking My first police run-in of this OC season.... At denny's :-)

Tonight I decided to go out to the West Shore Hardware Bar with a couple friends of mine and have a few beers and shoot some pool. Fun night and had about 7 beers over a 5 hour period at the bar. (miller lite) Cause it's the best beer.... Of course.... lol

Anyway, after a fun few hours of shooting pool and BS'ing, my friend and I decided to hit up Denny's around 1:20 AM before heading home. He just bought his first pistol (Beretta Px4 Storm in .40 S&W, Fullsize) and I had gotten him into OC from the time I got my first pistol over a year ago so naturally, he loves OC'ing as much as I do it was unanimous that we were going to OC in Denny's.

I have OC'd there (I believe) 3 times before but I may have missed one and have never had an issue at all.... One of those times we had two officers sitting at a booth beside us in full view of my G23 on my hip. Still, nothing. Regardless, we headed in to eat and after getting our coffee and ordering lowe and behold, I look up and see an officer walking somewhat our way... (Hmmm... I quietly think to myself... is he here for us? DUH... lol)

Sure enough, he walks up to us (joe is left handed and how we sit, both of us have our strong sides out to the public eye) and asks us how our night is going...;

Officer: Hey guys, how's it going?

Me: Not too bad, how bout you?

Officer: Pretty good... Sorry to bother you but I got a call that two guys were in here with pistols on their hips.. (in a sarcastic / joking voice)Say, you two aren't planning to rob the place are you? lol

Me: No, open carry is legal in PA and it just happens to be how we (joe and I) prefer to carry.... More comfortable.

Officer: Ok, well, I'm sure you know, we just have to respond and check everything out...

Me: Not a problem.. I've OC'd I believe three times before in here and never had a problem before. But that's fine....

Officer: I'm sure, someone just probably got nervous. It's not everyday you see two people in a restraunt with pistols openly on their sides who don't appear to be police... (now kinda an interested questioning) What kind are they? (the pistols)

Me: I've got a Glock 23, .40 S&W

Joe: I've got the Beretta Px4 Storm in .40 S&W

Officer: Nice! (to both lol... Yes, Glock makes people smile too ) lol

Officer: Are either of you officers?

Me and Joe: No, not officers... We're both in the Army Reserves though...

Officer: Oh, ok... Both of you are in the army?

Me and Joe: Yep (of course, with a smile and a nod) lol

*I can't remember exactly how he phrased the next line but the officer was being very respectful and not at all being a dick. When they act like this, I will be respectful and cooperate fully with them. Otherwise, I will show nothing and use my rights fully.*

Officer: *again, very simple version of this question. His was far nicer with asking though * Do you two have your LTCF's?

Me and Joe: Yep. (we handed over our LTCF's and no, he didn't ask for ID's at all during the incident)

Officer: Looked the LTCF's over and smiled, handed them back to us and said: Well, you two aren't breaking any laws and both have licenses to carry anyway. I'm gonna get outta here and let you two enjoy your food. Sorry to disturb you and have a nice night.

We shook hands, said good bye and have a nice night to the officer and had our breakfast in peace. There were no other incidences during the meal, save for the occasional stare at one of our hips from some of the customers there. The officer involved was very respectful and seemed to be well educated about the legality of OC and therefore I figured it was un-nessecary to give him any "my rights" talk.

It's good to know that officers like this exist. It preserves a little faith in humanity! lol

Figured I'd share my story, hopefully it helps convince annother person to try OC'ing

Have a great night and I'm gonna get some sleep finally,
    G23neverjams
    Larry C. S.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Default Re: My first police run-in of this OC season.... At denny's :-)

There was no reason for the cop to ask for your LTCFs since you were OCing, sitting in a restaurant.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    There was no reason for the cop to ask for your LTCFs since you were OCing, sitting in a restaurant.
    That's right....... Was he being a nice, friendly cop who just likes Glocks and was curious about your gun? Casually asking about the LTCF(because he is just curious if OC folk also might have a LTCF) and for ANY OTHER REASON....

OR............

Is he really the best investigative officer in the world(and a good people person too) that just got you to voluntarily give up your rights?

Just asking......

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    That's right....... Was he being a nice, friendly cop who just likes Glocks and was curious about your gun? Casually asking about the LTCF(because he is just curious if OC folk also might have a LTCF) and for ANY OTHER REASON....

OR............

Is he really the best investigative officer in the world(and a good people person too) that just got you to voluntarily give up your rights?

Just asking......
    This> "just got you to voluntarily give up your rights"

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: My first police run-in of this OC season.... At denny's :-)

1. Grab your ankles often? Because the "nice officer" just bent you over and had a nice look up your tookus, and you took it willingly.

2. Miller Lite? On the periodic chart of the elements, Miller Lite is closer to being water than to being beer.

3. You talk too much. He took advantage of you because you're young.

4. A uniformed officer approaches you, while you're eating in a restaurant, engaged in legal activity (eating AND OC'ing), makes a scene by his mere presence, and you shake the guy's hand? Egad.
    Last edited by Yentl Marmelstein; March 27th, 2011 at 07:50 AM.

(Berks County)

He did ask you for ID. Your LTCF has all your info on it.
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Sounds like a non event to me. You will be sure to get flamed for handing over your LTCFs though. To me it's no big deal but to many you just committed cardinal sin.

(Bucks County)

Great job man, sounds like an awesome night.
    Yes to people it is a sin to hand over your ltcf, and me personally I would not have and would have been polite about not doing so. But I also like to say things without saying anything at all. Mr Talking Head
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Franklin County)

Couple of observations.
    The officer didnt show up, approach you and talk to you because he is a nice guy, he was investigating a call. He stayed calm and friendly because that is what works for him when he is trying to get a bead on the people he is talking to.
    As for asking for your LTCF. The question begs, what wouldve happened if you didnt have one? What you were doing didnt require a LTCF so why ask? Would he then remove you from the Dennys so he could check your information? What was his next step, where was he going with that request? My guess is he was hoping you had one because that is the quickest least invasive way for him to reasonably determine if you should even have a firearm. If you had not produced a LTCF his next request probably wouldve been for a DL, again, another form of ID that is not required to OC, and from that point you would probably be out in the parking lot waiting for him to run your information while your food gets cold.
    My personal opinion, you did ok showing your LTCF. Even though it wasnt required by law, you used it to defuse the situation and turn it into a non-event. You didnt show it to make his job easier, you showed it to make your life easier. The LTCF thing is common sense to me. Common sense tells me that I agreed to carry and show it when I got it, otherwise why would it be a nice little laminated wallet sized card. Most people go through life and never need to use that little card, your card just paid for itself.
    Last edited by ray h; March 27th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.

(Delaware County)

Cop shouldve arrived, observed you simply eating at Dennys, and then left. No reason to approach you
    He shouldve spent his time educating the caller that OC is legal and to stop tying up 911 with pointless calls

No reason to interrupt your night, approach you, ask you any questions, ask for your LTCF or otherwise make a scene in front of people.

Open Carry is not RAS for detainment. Although since you volunteered all the info this could be seen as mere encounter.

No matter how nice he is, he was investigating you and frankly I would have been quite annoyed about someone interrupting my dinner and embarrassing me in front of everyone like I was a criminal.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast