Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 Revolvers??

(Allegheny County)

Default .22 Revolvers??

Hey everyone! My dad and I are lookin to buy a .22 revolver just to plink around with. Any suggestions on what we should look for? Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: .22 Revolvers??

There aren't as many options for .22 revolvers as there used to be.

Taurus and S & W still make traditional DA models, but are very pricey. Ruger, Heritage and some others make Single Action guns if your tastes run to Old West. Quality of manufacture varies. The Heritage guns are mostly zinc alloy frames. They seem to work okay (except for the .22 mag conversions), but quickly start looking cheap and chincy as the frame finish wears.

Also, many many discontinued types of .22 revolvers are excellent. Me, I'd start with older guns appearing used in the cases of a lot of independent dealers. Guns by Hy Standard, Harrington and Richardson, and even imported guns like the old FIE brand are worth a look. If you shop around you can still get a good used .22 revolver by one of these companies for well less than $200.

With used you need to make sure that it hasn't been dry fired into ruin, or any parts are broken. Look for peening around the tops of the cylinder caused by excessive dry firing. Also cylinder gap shouldn't be excessive or the cylinder too loose when locked into the frame and hammer cocked.

Hope that helps.

(Montgomery County)

If you can find one and are willing to spend the money for the best 0.22 Revolver under $700, look for a 6" S&W Model 17 SIX gun, not the 10-guns that came out relatively recently. You will never want to go back to one of the other cheaper models. Dave_n

I went through this search about a year ago. From the phrase, "just to plink around with," I'm guessing you're not planning to put a ton of money into this purchase.

The thing with revolvers is that good ones aren't cheap, cheap ones aren't as good, and most rimfire revolvers cost just about as much as equivalent centerfire guns.

Autoloading .22s actually offer more bang for the buck. There are plenty of good choices in the $200-300 range, with options for mounting optics, guns styled like your favorite centerfire pistol, etc, etc.

But, if it's a a revolver you want (I'm a big wheelgun fan myself), my suggestion would be a Ruger single action. You don't "need" DA for killiing cans. SA revolvers are simple, reliable, easy to maintain, and a Ruger, which is ridiculously overbuilt for a .22, will last a few lifetimes. Enjoy!

(Lebanon County)

the sw model 17 in all it's varities is the 22 revolver all others are judged by.
    they are a solid piece, those made before the second world war, shoot just as well as those made yesterday.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

If somewhere down the line you expect to get a S&W 686, spend the extra $$$ and get the 617 in the barrel lenght your 686 will be in. They're both built on the L frame, feel nearly the same and the only real way to tell them apart is to be on the business end or open the cyl.

You may want to get a few speedloaders too. Those little .22's are harder to handle then .357's when loading.

(Lebanon County)

they are K frames, not L frames.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Wrong...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

SKU: 164222

Smith & Wesson L-Frame revolvers are built to suit the demands of the most serious firearms enthusiast. Available in six and seven shot cylinders, the L-Frame has a strong, durable frame and barrel built for continuous MagnumŽ usage. As police officers and hunters will attest, this firearm is made to withstand heavy use.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Wrong...
    I'm certain Brian was referring to the 617.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Wrong...
    617s and model 17s along with pre model 17s like the 22s that are being discussed, are K frames. i've never heard of the "L-22".
    pop your head out of your butt and join the rest of us. in any event the 686 and 617 are diffent frame sizes.
    Last edited by brian; March 27th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast