Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default advice on shooting glocks

Just bought a Glock 19 and find shooting it is some what different than shooting my 1911 and sig 226. Now I realize the 1911 is 45acp and the sig is 357sig/40s&w but I would think I would be able to shoot it more accurately then I did yesterday. I will be putting new sights on the gun soon.But I know it"s not only a sight issue.I wonder if putting 3.5 trigger on it will make that much of a difference.When I have the sights on target, it shoots to the left 5 inch's off target.Any suggestions..?

Default Re: advice on shooting glocks

How far are you from the target?
    I would think if you are shooting left, assuming you are a righty, you need to put a little more finger on the trigger to prevent it from being pushed to the left.
    Just a guess...
    My best advise would be to get a bunch of ammo and learn the Glock platform, it is totally different from Sig and 1911's.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    My best advise would be to get a bunch of ammo and learn the Glock platform, it is totally different from Sig and 1911's.
    Agreed. I have had the same issue, I think it's a function of grip and trigger technique.

(Monroe County)

Spend a little time with it before making those mods. I found after getting the glock trigger down it helped with my Hi power and 1911 as well so it's time well spent. Also learn the triggers reset, makes for very fast and accurate follow up shots.

(Montgomery County)

I also agree. I posted something very similar, but after awhile, you'll get used to it. Be sure you're not going too deep into the trigger guard with your finger. I find that all of my gun's triggers are different, and on some it's not so critical. But with the Glocks, try going about mid-way on your first finger joint.

And, IMO, though many swear by trigger mods, I put mine back to stock. Though I had a lighter trigger, it was also mushier. I've come to believe Glock knows best, and I'd leave it stock.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lancaster County)

Enlarge and print this image. Use it for a target and see if it helps.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    Just bought a Glock 19 and find shooting it is some what different than shooting my 1911 and sig 226. Now I realize the 1911 is 45acp and the sig is 357sig/40s&w but I would think I would be able to shoot it more accurately then I did yesterday. I will be putting new sights on the gun soon.But I know it"s not only a sight issue.I wonder if putting 3.5 trigger on it will make that much of a difference.When I have the sights on target, it shoots to the left 5 inch's off target.Any suggestions..?
    Bench it first to make sure it's not the sight being off, my 17 was hitting left from the factory and it was consistently off the bench so I moved the rear site right and it's dead on now.

On the first pull you will have the safety to pull back but if you notice on subsequent shots the trigger resets before this, that is where you can shoot your follow up shots from if you like.

If you're convinced you need a lighter pull I would suggest you add nothing more than the 3.5# connector from Lone Wolf. You can add different spring setups later if you like, but be forewarned if you carry with this setup, practice, practice, practice.

I went from the stock setup directly to the 3.5# connector, 6# trigger spring and 4# striker spring and my first shot was an unintended double tap, which was scary as hell. I only carry this way because I have severe Carpal Tunnel in both hands and had surgery for it on my right hand.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    .... I went from the stock setup directly to the 3.5# connector, 6# trigger spring and 4# striker spring and my first shot was an unintended double tap, which was scary as hell. ...
    Exactly why I went back to the stock connector with the other listed mods. I feel it gives a more "conventional" trigger feel with a nice break. Glock parts are so reasonably priced .... I don't feel guilty shelving the new connector.

Also you may want to check out the Sliderlock trigger. It puts a mechanical safety on the trigger in addition to the Glock trigger lock. Being "old school" I like the idea of having an additional safety. Yea I know "Keep your finger off the trigger ...." but now I know the weapon can't accidentally discharge when holstering. It has happened to some ....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Exactly why I went back to the stock connector with the other listed mods. I feel it gives a more "conventional" trigger feel with a nice break. Glock parts are so reasonably priced .... I don't feel guilty shelving the new connector.

Also you may want to check out the Sliderlock trigger. It puts a mechanical safety on the trigger in addition to the Glock trigger lock. Being "old school" I like the idea of having an additional safety. Yea I know "Keep your finger off the trigger ...." but now I know the weapon can't accidentally discharge when holstering. It has happened to some ....
    I agree on the parts and they are interchangeable on many different models so that's a huge bonus.
    I was looking at the Sliderlock and for sure they are nice, especially for people like me, who are used to external safeties.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    I agree on the parts and they are interchangeable on many different models so that's a huge bonus.
    I was looking at the Sliderlock and for sure they are nice, especially for people like me, who are used to external safeties.
    There's also a couple frame mounted safeties out, but they involve cutting the frame. Once done, there's no going back and if not done right you have a training pistol or a big hole in the frame.

If you don't like the Sliderlock just replace the trigger for about $17. I like it so it's staying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast