Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Transfer through Sheriff

I'm considering selling one of my pistols and my brother has shown interest. From what I understand, there is no exception for transfers between siblings and either an FFL or Sheriff would need to perform the transfer.

With both my brother and I being relatively close to the Berks County Courthouse in Reading, how would the transfer take place? From what I understand, the gun needs to be present during transfer. Since the Sheriffs office is in the courthouse, will the gun be transported up to the sheriff or will it remain in the lockbox with me providing a serial number?

The appeal of the Sheriff is that the fee is minimal (when my brother got his LTCF he mention seeing a sign with transfer prices being less than $10.00).

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. I've never sold a gun before and all of my purchases have been through an FFL.

Thanks

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Transfer through Sheriff

Why not just go though a FFL ? Less bullshit to go threw iam sure their is one
    near you.That's what i would do.

Default Re: Transfer through Sheriff

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who ever did a transfer using the Sheriff. I'd expect a lot of them to simply refuse to do it. And it would be a lot of hassle, I suppose they'd need to delegate a Deputy to take it from the seller at the door, carry it up to the office, find the forms, do the transfer after calling PICS, then carry it back down and hand it to the buyer outside.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Yes, I too am interested in hearing this answer. Recently I received a firearm from a cousin. We wanted to do a transfer through the Delaware county sheriff's office in Media but was told by an employee they don't do transfers.

Thus the best alternative was king shooter supply for $25.

(Berks County)

Easiest thing to do is give the Sheriff's office a call next week. Worse case scenario is they tell me they do not do transfers and I go to an area FFL instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
    Why not just go though a FFL ? Less bullshit to go threw iam sure their is one
    near you.That's what i would do.
    The Sheriff is far from my only option (off the top of my head I can think of 5 shops within a 30 minute drive)

I wasn't expecting there to be much hassle in going that route or the Sheriff refusing the transfer (especially with pricing displayed in the office). The office is close and the fee is minimal, so I thought maybe I could save my brother a few bucks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
    Yes, I too am interested in hearing this answer. Recently I received a firearm from a cousin. We wanted to do a transfer through the Delaware county sheriff's office in Media but was told by an employee they don't do transfers.

Thus the best alternative was king shooter supply for $25.
    I'll give you some advice.

Dont listen to ANY ADVICE WHATSOEVER from anyone in the Sheriff's office except the Sheriff himself (not that I trust those answers either).

The employees there are borderline anti-gun and clueless on anything firearm, firearm law, or statute related.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I'll give you some advice.

Dont listen to ANY ADVICE WHATSOEVER from anyone in the Sheriff's office except the Sheriff himself (not that I trust those answers either).

The employees there are borderline anti-gun and clueless on anything firearm, firearm law, or statute related.
    Really? I never had a problem at the Sheriff's office in the Berks County Courthouse. When was the last time you were there?

If there is a sign with a price to do a transfer I'd just go to the courthouse and see what happens. Tell the officer at the door why you're there, he may know how to handle it, if not, check it and go find out how to do it. Definitly let us know how it goes.