Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Question about putting your holster on...

My question is simple but I am not sure what is the best answer.

I just recently upgraded my EDC from a Kel Tec P-11 in a Fobus paddle to an XD .45ACP Compact and I purchased a Ryan Grizzle Georgia Snap to go withit which is a custom leather snap on style holster.

I haven't used this for OC because I am not comfortable without any physical retention but I have been wondering whether it is best to put the holster on empty and then holster my gun or do most put their holster on with the gun already holstered. If I OC I usually use a Serpa and carry my P89. Same question there also.

It seems to me that it would be safer to put the holster on and then holster then gun in case you drop it and it is a lot lighter empty while putting it on your belt tucking your shirt, etc.

What is the most common or best practice?

Default Re: Question about putting your holster on...

my holster from Ryan Grizzle is an IWB i leave the gun holstered always and just stick it in my pants then put the loops thru my belt

(Cambria County)

Sock, sock, then shoe, shoe. Or sock, shoe then sock, shoe?

Anyway, I mix it up depending on my pants. If I am wearing tighter waisted pants I put the holster first, then fill it with the gun. If the pants are roomy enough I just put them in together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Question about putting your holster on...

Whether i use my OWB or my IWB holsters i put pants on empty holster then
    holster the gun.

(Cambria County)

It doesn't matter much.

Most of the time, I put on the holster, then secure the gun in it after I get the holster properly situated.

Nevertheless, there are times when I pull my pants on (one leg at a time) and the belt, holster and gun are already in place.

I guess, if you want to break it down beyond the scope of 'significant increments,' it might be better to place the gun in a proper holster first. A gun is safest when it is in a good holster, and more dangerous when coming out of, or going into that holster. I guess an argument could be made that it is safer to put a gun in a holster when doing so does not involve pointing the gun at your leg/foot... But in reality, the difference is negligible.

(Westmoreland County)

The mission of the holster is to carry the tool while allowing for ease of removal and replacement.

The holster is simply a tool holder. The tool is inserted into the holder after the holder is in place. Doing it any other way almost guarantees that the user will have to break one of the Universal Rules (Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy.) whilst seating the holster. If carried daily, using this protocol will also enables the user to repeat holstering 300+ times per year.

If the holster does not permit insertion once it is worn, or requires two hands for proper insertion, discard it immediately. It is unsafe to use.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

My EDC gun is also my bedside gun so at the end of the day I unholster and put it on the night stand. I don't have children at the moment so it is not holstered or or in a safe, it simple lies on the table. This means that when I carry I have to reholster. With he CBST holster I holster first and then put the holster gun combo on. With the Serpa I put on the holster first and then put the gun in the holster.

When I have children, it is most likely that I will do the same, except the gun will go into something like the Biovault on the night stand.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    With he CBST holster I holster first and then put the holster gun combo on. With the Serpa I put on the holster first and then put the gun in the holster.
    Two different protocols allow for confusion.

Confusion leads to negligent discharges.

Negligent discharges can, and usually do, have life changing consequences.

Respectfully submitted
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    Two different protocols allow for confusion.

Confusion leads to negligent discharges.

Negligent discharges can, and usually do, have life changing consequences.

Respectfully submitted
    I understand the sentiment, but I have different holsters for different methods of carry. I can safely put the CBST on with the gun already holstered, however I can not safely put the Serpa on with the gun holstered.

I have two different protocols according to the safest I can make it for myself and family.

However, I agree with you that ideally there would be one way to do it all the time which would be the safest.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Carbon County)

IWB i have it on my pants before i put them on, then i holster the gun...OWB pants 1st the holster then gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast