Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default CCW and small children

Brothers & Sisters in Arms,

I'm in a bit of a pickle with my wife, We are having a debate on weather or not it is o.k to carry my firearm when my 2 yr old son is with us. I have carried a gun long before my wife and I ever met,I carried while we were dating and have carried ever since. But once my son was born she has given me a hard time about it. I try to assure her that I have taken the proper steps to keep the gun locked away but always within reach if I should ever need it. She is always worried that the gun could fall out of my holster if I pick him up,I always have to assure her that it will not,she also thinks he will see it and want to reach for it, again I assure her that he will not reach for it. She has told me numerous times that I can carry it when he is not with us, but he is ALWAYS with us,Thats the point in having a child!! so there is no point in saying "when he is not with us". I am wondering your thoughts on my Debate and ask for any suggestions on putting my wife at ease. thanks

~Hoggy

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: CCW and small children

I figure having your kid around is reason TO wear a gun. Now, if you wake up in the morning and put your holster on before you get outta bed, then I gotta agree with your wife.

Otherwise, pack away! that gun is there to protect you, your wife and your kid, and it cant do that if its sitting pretty in a safe.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Thumbs up Re: CCW and small children

I agree with Diego, my father is a retired policeman that carried everywhere we went, as long as you start teaching your child early you'll be good to go, I grew up with atleast 3 .38s floating around the house in various spots, neither me or my brothers ever had an incident.

Carrying in general is a good thing if you ask me, as long as your rig is up to the task your firearm should not fall out, I've only had it happen once and that was with a Fobus roto holster, the screw fell out and the holster portion did a 180 and dumped a full size 1911 on the floor at the mall, that was the first and last time I used that holster.

I can understand your wife's apprehension, but just remind here that it's for the saftey of her and your child that you carry.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Montgomery County)

I was exposed since way back when.

My father used to actually keep it on top of the tv cabinet in his room (out of my immediate reach) He told me where it was and what it was used for and the whole you never ever touch it unless I let you type thing. Never even thought about touching it, i knew what it could do and i knew it would be done to me if I touched it Of course that wasn't really safe but in all honesty i think he knew I was going to be the type of kid that when you say something like that to, will listen. he ended up putting it in a locked case, I'm not sure if it was a test and ever really there or if he booby trapped that area to see if he could trust me. i suspect that was the reason, needless to say I passed the test. As for rather you can carry with your son or not only you that. I'd suggest doing something along the same lines as testing the kid (without the handgun). See what he does! One of the classic psychological tests is to put a kid in a room with an empty shoe box on a table right in front of him sitting in a chair. Tell them that under no circumstances are they to open it. What's inside is very secret and special but he's not old enough to see it yet Video tape it, leave him in the basically empty room for as many minutes as he is old in this case I'd go 3 and see if he opens up the box. If he doesn't then he has at least some control, which means if the gun falls out he'll probably run and tell you and not pick it up. However one YOU can make the ultimate determination if he'd be responsible enough, one test isn't going to cut it. If he opens the shoe box, well you can't trust him yet, get to work Tell him that because he looked the magic/special/whatever item disappeared because he was to young to look at it and you're very disappointed that he looked. Don't readily punish him though, its just an indicator of the level or self control one has . If you leave him in the room too long its a guarantee, even adults typically open the box after 30-60 minutes.
    Last edited by whoshisface; November 1st, 2006 at 01:25 AM.

(Perry County)

Hoggy, I have to agree with everyone else. Calmly explain to your wife that you carry it for your protection as well as theirs. My arguement would be "What happens if we get into a situation where we are in danger and it is sitting at home?" Explain to her that the holster secures the gun and it will not fall out. Other than that, there's not much else you can say. If she doesn't give in, just hope you never have to say "I told you so.".

Dave G.

(Montgomery County)

Steer your wife to the 'Women and Guns' website. Let her join that forum. Maybe listening to other women who carry and have kids might help.

(Bucks County)

Seems that these days we are all girls.

I remember as a young boy reaching for something I was not suppose to and getting slapped. After two or three times I got the message as the slaps became harder. Somehow I managed to grow up without any gun locks, safes, etc. Guess kids these days are not born as smart as us previous generations. Or maybe its not he kids but the parents...hmmmm. No, that can't be it. Maybe if we just more politely ask our kids and better stress the words PLEASE and THANK YOU our sweet precious little angels will agree not touch the guns.

Enjoy the debate at home. I'm guessing you are toast.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HoggyO View Post
    Brothers & Sisters in Arms,

I'm in a bit of a pickle with my wife, We are having a debate on weather or not it is o.k to carry my firearm when my 2 yr old son is with us. I have carried a gun long before my wife and I ever met,I carried while we were dating and have carried ever since. But once my son was born she has given me a hard time about it. I try to assure her that I have taken the proper steps to keep the gun locked away but always within reach if I should ever need it. She is always worried that the gun could fall out of my holster if I pick him up,I always have to assure her that it will not,she also thinks he will see it and want to reach for it, again I assure her that he will not reach for it. She has told me numerous times that I can carry it when he is not with us, but he is ALWAYS with us,Thats the point in having a child!! so there is no point in saying "when he is not with us". I am wondering your thoughts on my Debate and ask for any suggestions on putting my wife at ease. thanks

~Hoggy
    Hoggy,

If she's worried about the gun falling out of your holster, there's a few things you can do:

1. Get a holster with positive retention, like a thumb break. Gun can't fall out if it's strapped down.

2. If you don't like/want a thumb break, convince her to let you carry the gun around the house, unloaded in the holster for a few hours. Play with your son on the floor, be active, and show her that after a few hours of normal activity, the holster won't shift or fall off your belt, and that the gun is secure in the holster. Hopefully that will convince her.

As for the "he'll reach for it" issue, not sure how to address that other than to convince her that it WON'T happen, and if it does you'll definitely know about it and react accordingly.

BTW, another user (Spectre) started a thread about a similar problem. If you want, check it out, and my subsequent comments:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...able-guns.html
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Chambered,

I currently carry my firearm with a thumb break, But my Wife just cant seem to grasp the thought my gun not falling out.I guess all I can do is keep convincing her....

PhillyD,

No Toast here, I like to use the phrase "This is how you married me" every once and a while and it seems to shut her down a bit..The fight continues....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HoggyO View Post
    Chambered,

I currently carry my firearm with a thumb break, But my Wife just cant seem to grasp the thought my gun not falling out.I guess all I can do is keep convincing her....

PhillyD,

No Toast here, I like to use the phrase "This is how you married me" every once and a while and it seems to shut her down a bit..The fight continues....
    Good luck Hoggy. I feel your pain, as I'm also fighting the good fight. Baby steps...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast