Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(York County)

Default Can I shoot at my home

I was wondering if I can shoot in my backyard. I have 1.6 acres and live in a rural town. My house is on a hill and my yard ends at the crest of the hill. I could shoot at a target and go into the ground after that due to the slope. Behind me is an uninhabited farm, but that only matters if a bullet can go over the hill and hit someone at the bottom of the other side. So whats the law? BTW I live in Felton, about 3 miles from Red Lion.
    Springfield XD
    4" 45ACP
    3 High Capacity Mags
    Tactical Flashlight

Default Re: Can I shoot at my home

That's a question for your Sheriff / Local LE Agency. Some towns allow it, some have laws against the discharge of weapons in town (unless in a life or death situation of course). By asking that question here, you could get a wrong answer and wind up in jail. For serious questions like this, dont ask a bunch of guys on the internet, research it.

Don't mean to sound rude, just dont want to see you wind up being bubba's new friend.

(Bucks County)

Sure you can. Just put up a target, load your gun, aim and pull the trigger.

If you asking if there is a law against it, probably.

(Luzerne County)

Depends on the laws of your city/town/borough, etc.

For example, where I work it is illegal for anyone outside of law enforcement to discharge any weapon within the borough limits.

It does not restrict hunting, as long as you can legally hunt in that area. But target shooting is another ting, and it can be restricted.

(Luzerne County)

Some townships have ordinances against discharging Air guns within township/city limits. I would surely check with your local authorities as Lil Devil suggested. On a side note, if you do want to shoot the Collibri 22s are very quiet so no one would likely know you are shooting and their effective range is lower making them safer in semi Urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    Some townships have ordinances against discharging Air guns within township/city limits. I would surely check with your local authorities as Lil Devil suggested. On a side note, if you do want to shoot the Collibri 22s are very quiet so no one would likely know you are shooting and their effective range is lower making them safer in semi Urban areas.
    I would not suggest trying to do anything illegal. All it takes is one stray to kill someone.

(York County)

I used to live in Felton. Although I doubt if there's a town ordinance, I think I'd ask at the fire hall or one of the town meetings.
    If you're actually in town, I'd be mighty leary about shooting. Felton is pretty small. And, what's on the other side of the hill? If more homes, I wouldn't shoot in my backyard.
    Remember, those rounds can go a considerable distance.

(Montgomery County)

I live in Spring Mount and they have no laws against it. However at a town meeting it was brought up. Since the local range was in trouble it was the topic of discussion.

The police chief did mention that he is a gun person himself and can tell if what you are doing is safe. If not there are lots of laws he can get you on. If the range you built is safe for what you are shooting he has no problem. The town to me thinks it is best to decide actions as they happen.

We are watching. We will take action. There are lots of things we can do to you.

It is a lot like 'passing on a solid line' when you are driving. There is no law against it. The LEO writes you up for something like 'passing in unsafe conditions'. (I beat a ticket that way).

(Delaware County)

There is a PA law against discharging a firearm within a certain distance of a residence, IIRC. It might be 500 feet. I think I found this while looking at hunting laws. It was at this point that I abandoned the thought of shooting in the back yard.

I wish I could tell you who to ask that would give you a reliable, unbiased, answer.

(Montgomery County)

the hunting laws are safety zone laws that disallow hunting within x amount of feet of a home.
    if you are NOT hunting, the safety zone law does not come into effect.

also, a previous poster said this " I think I'd ask at the fire hall or one of the town meetings. "

its best to ask the police directly about any ordinance or regulation that prevents shooting firearms, and ask for a copy of it if you have one.

never bring this stuff up in a public forum like a town meeting....they might find out they dont HAVE one, and decide to make one:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast