Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mossberg/ Cobray M-500 "Rogue"

I bought my short shotgun some years ago and it was delivered as a Cobray conversion with a 11.75 inch barrel and a pistol grip and a 3 round tube. It has a shrouded barrel and I think the catch name, "Cobray Rogue", was given to it by the first person who fired it. I have emailed the VerBell family and the current owners of Cobray and cannot find any information on this little mechanical wonder. Do any of you folks know of any others out there? The quality is very good and I wouldn't think that I bought the only one made. I retired a while back and it is a safe queen most of the time, with an occasional trip to the range. Regards; Al

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mossberg/ Cobray M-500 "Rogue"

Does the gun have the cobray logo or does it just say cobray?
    I went though a somewhat complete stash of S.O.F. mags and other early 80's into 90's books and mags and did not find any feature or tests on a Mossberg/ Cobray M-500 "Rogue"

I'll keep looking, it sounds like a pretty neat gun. Mine is just a factory 14.5" 5+1 590 Mossberg

fullauto223

Don't make me angry, I might raise my FONT ON YOU

All I could find searching was this pic:

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315...es/0000/64.htm
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

Thumbs up Re: Mossberg/ Cobray M-500 "Rogue"

Fullauto, it does have the Cobray Snake in the crosshairs logo. MtDew, the only difference in mine and the one you pointed out is that mine has a slightly longer barrel and a entilated barrel shroud.
    I bought it in the days well before public internet usage and the site you listed is the first time I have seen one listed publicly. Thanks; Al

Is there any info on this aow? I own one

I still have seen little on them... I have just had mine Cerakoted in black and burnt bronze and had the gunsmith go through and replace the bolt, carrier, trigger group and safety and it is now new again. I still have no info on numbers made by Cobray and I suspect we may never know as answering questions from owners doesn't seem to be very high on their list of things a responsible manufacturer would do. No prob with me... I have been 100% satisfied and have naught but praise for the conversion work. Shame more Mossbergs aren't converted since they are great shotguns.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

Hope I'm not sinning by resurrecting an OLD string on my first posting, but

1 Shot a friend's on Independence Day 2015

2 I'm told an article Miles Fortis and I did a decade or more back survives so search under roughly

+long+short+Mossberg+Fortis+Church

3 He bought his new in the early 80s-I graduated from college in 85, and sure he had it prior.

4 Pretty sure it was made under the Daniels' ownership of Cobray, which is to say post WerBell.

5 Spiteful unpleasant little gun to shoot with light field stuff, unbearable with 3" stuff. So we fire one each 3" every few years just to say we did it.

http://www.milesfortis.com/b&jguns/s...hort_of_it.htm

I saved the article since it has been most of all I was able to locate on the Rogue. Mine is marked 2 3/4" only so I have never fired 3 inchers. It was rough on the hands until I changed the style of pistol grip and now it's only moderately rough. I'm still looking for information or data on it.

My understanding is that Sylvia and Wayne Daniels acquired much of the assets of Cobray/Military Armaments Corp Powder Springs. at auction when it was sold. From there it get complex, and SWD, Leinad, etc. were successor corporate entities.

I have also seen a long receiver SMG obviously derived from the Ingram/MAC10, and made by same corporation. This had the single feed plastic magazine.

I don't "think" the Rogues were made in any large numbers, nor for very long.

Note all my weasel words. This is conjecture, and I do not state this as established fact.

Quote Originally Posted by A K Church View Post
    My understanding is that Sylvia and Wayne Daniels acquired much of the assets of Cobray/Military Armaments Corp Powder Springs. at auction when it was sold. From there it get complex, and SWD, Leinad, etc. were successor corporate entities.

I have also seen a long receiver SMG obviously derived from the Ingram/MAC10, and made by same corporation. This had the single feed plastic magazine.

I don't "think" the Rogues were made in any large numbers, nor for very long.

Note all my weasel words. This is conjecture, and I do not state this as established fact.
    I believe you are right on the money. In reference to nothing much: A friend in the 70s who operated GT Distributors in Rossville, GA was showing some gear to us he had bought at a "fire sale" of sorts. He had multiples of the MACs in both 9mm and .45acp that he was offering at, I believe, $79.00 for the 9mm and $49.00 for the .45acp versions and with two mags each with some other mags available. Agency prices, of course, and we went back and worked on the commissioner for days with no luck. If there was an argument we made it but we were dealing cards to a checkers player so we lost the conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast