Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Snub nose .38 Special.

I've only ever owned autos, however this weekend I plan on buying my first revolver. I've always wanted a snub nose revolver in .38 Special. Any suggestions from revolver enthusiasts, as to which brand or model would be a good choice? Five or six round cylinder, is okay.

Thanks for reading/answering my question.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Snub nose .38 Special.

Like you, I'm new to revolvers, so after offering my thoughts, I'll also sit back and await the opinions of the experts.

Does it have to be a .38 special, and only a .38 special? Again, I'm a revolver rookie, but my understanding is that a revolver that will shoot .357 magnum rounds, will also shoot .38 specials (but not the other way around). That being the case (and if it is the case without exception), you might want to consider what I picked up: The Ruger SP101 .357 magnum w/2.25" barrel:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html

Or, something like the Smith & Wesson 686 or 686 Plus (.357 magnum w/2.50" barrel).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

If you have no interest in firing .357 magnum, then I'd give serious consideration to the Smith & Wesson 642, or other of their Airweight revolvers:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

If you don't go with .357/.38 special, I'd suggest that whatever .38 special revolver you pick up be +P rated.

The above is the "short list" I came up with when shopping for mine. And, to be sure, there are probably dozens of other fine choices out there that I'm unaware of. But, having just gone through this myself, I thought I'd pass along my thoughts.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

I have a taurus 85 ultra-lite and I love it. 38 special only, exposed hammer.
    I am no expert but if you have questions ask away.

I recommend taurus only because sometimes they are half the price of S&W and RUGER etc. And to me, having something and having more than one is more important than having the most expensive and the brand name.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Lawrence County)

[QUOTE=NuclearSociety;1540571

I recommend taurus only because sometimes they are half the price of S&W and RUGER etc. And to me, having something and having more than one is more important than having the most expensive and the brand name.[/QUOTE]

So, you are saying you will trust your life to the cheapest gun you can find?

I would definately NOT recomend a taurus anything.

A used Smith or Ruger would be miles ahead of a new taurus.

I would suggest the SP101 if you are incline to shoot .357, or the Smith 642-2, with the longer ejection rod , barrel, and a barrel port, for .38 +p.

(Monroe County)

First things first, What will the Gun be used for?

1) Target practice

2) home defense

3) concealed carry

4) open carry

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Sig View Post
    I've only ever owned autos, however this weekend I plan on buying my first revolver. I've always wanted a snub nose revolver in .38 Special. Any suggestions from revolver enthusiasts, as to which brand or model would be a good choice? Five or six round cylinder, is okay.

Thanks for reading/answering my question.
    I am in love with revolvers. Simple, go-bang-every-time guns.

Like any gun purchase, ya gotta handle the merchandise. I bought a S&W 442 for my first revolver. The only thing I don't really care for is it's DAO, which means it has a heavy, day long, trigger pull. Other than that, I love it. Remember that such a short-barreled gun won't be a target gun. Most any of the models from the major makers will run fine and that you get what you pay for.

If you can, try a few .38 snubbies. The short barrel coupled with .38 Spl. is enough muzzle flip for me. I don't see any reason to go to .357 Mag. for a pocket gun.

Let us know what you bring home.

--Phil

(Indiana County)

I have to assume that you are wanting a snubbie for a carry/drawer gun.

As far as brand, I see that Taurus was mentioned, there is no way that I would consider a Taurus when a Smith is not even close to being twice as much as a Taurus, hell, Grices in Clearfield has the Smith 637 & 642 on sale til the end of April for $359, and the Bodygaurd with laser for $419.

You can also find Ruger SP-101 in .357 for around $400, but they are going to be heavier, or the LCR for $349.

http://www.gricegunshop.com/
    Click on the flyer
    Rugers/Smiths are on page 6-7, Taurus on 8

I would go with a Smith, as I have owned many of them and still do, the Rugers have always been a dependable gun, but I still prefer a Smith.

I would only consider a Taurus if you can find a used 85 or 856 in like new shape for around $200, and even then you should still consider the cost of a new Smith/Ruger over the cost of a used Taurus.

(Westmoreland County)

The only 2 manufacturers I would recommend are S&W (the best is the revolver market period) and Ruger. Ruger gets a recommendation now because of the LCR's. Their SP101 was a brick of a snubby and could no way be carried in a pocket.

Go for a S&W 642 or a Ruger LCR. Yea they cost more than the Taurus revolvers, but they work all the time not just sometimes. I have owned over 6 Taurus revolvers and "NONE" of them worked every time I pulled the trigger. Most of them had the trigger freeze up as I was shooting.

I have carried, over the last 34 years, some S&W (M38, M 638, 642 and 442). All were fired extensively and all worked all the time. Clean them and maintain them and they will be there when you need them.
    Captain

Anything in a smith airweight.
    Personally I'd pass on a .357 in a snubbie....too bulky.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Make sure you shoot one of the small revolvers. They are not comfortable. I find them that uncomfortable I opted to get an LCP instead.

And yes, I have to agree with everyone else; go for a Ruger or a Smith & Wesson and stay away from Taurus. The quality of Taurus' are junk compared to Ruger and S&W.
    Last edited by dgill; March 25th, 2011 at 08:33 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast