Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default dropping more weight and blogging it.

I'm doing this on another forum i'm own, and i'll copy it over here so long as there's interest.

Well, i've been hovering around 205lbs since May, i dropped from 250 last February. I'm looking to drop some more over winter break and my last final is tomorrow. I just ordered a Bioelectric Impedance Analyzer scale (Tanita, good brand, got a bargain) to track my progress. I'm going to jump back on a strict diet starting Saturday and try to hike or go to the judo club every day. I'll track my weight and body fat percentage weekly.

Day Zero (12/14):

Alright, it's pregame. Tomorrow is going to be a rough day to start as there's a bunch of stuff to do and a bunch of my friend are getting into town. But I just got back from 2 hours of Judo practice after a bit of time off for final exams so I'm pumped and ready to start.

I like to plan out days i can allow myself to cheat on so i'm not tempted to cheat at other times. I have two major cheating days, the 22nd as my sister is turning 21 and i'd be doing a shitful job as her brother if i didn't toss back a few that night. The next one is, obviously, New years eve. I'm Jewish so all i do on Christmas is run a marathon EMS shift for all the goyim...remember to pack food so i don't do something stupid like chinese takeout...which isn't a problem if i'm running with the Buddhist Mongolian medic as he can't set foot in a Chinese restaurant.

As for tomorrow, I'd like to stop by the gunshow and hit the firing range. I'll call my buddy Julius to see if he's doing a hike tomorrow as that might change timing on things. Between all this i have to pack in 6-7 small meals a day, which reminds me, Big run on the supermarket tomorrow to stock up on food...Trader Joes, mecca of cheap health food.

I don't have the scale yet, so i'll set my baseline once it gets in, no reason not to start though....right after this last beer before midnight and i'm official.

LeChiam (to life)

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: dropping more weight and blogging it.

Day 1,

I weighed in at 205, that's going to be an unofficial start since my scale isn't in yet

INPUT

This mornings breakfast consisted of 2 eggs, oatmeal (1 packet of whole grain instant stuff, about 150cal) and half an avocado. Eggs were cooked in a short burs of nonstick spray and just a bit of salt an pepper. Keep the calories down...most of the time i'll just hard boil them.

snack around 1030 was a handful of walnuts (about 1/4 cup) and some Greek yogurt (about 6oz) with a spoonful (about 1tbsp) of fruit preserves to keep the metabolism going. If you use jelly on anything, mix it in your yogurt, PB&J sandwich, make sure you get unsweetened fruit preserves. Your regular jam has sugar added and is about 60 calories/tbsp versus 25 for the natural fruit preserves. read the nutrition label when buying, it adds up.

Lunch was a turkey sandwich with horseradish sauce...note on sauces, some are much better than others. Horseradish sauce has 45 calories in a tablespoon, the aioli garlic mustard i use is about 30. Make sure you know what a tablespoon looks like. Anyway, there's much worse things you can put on your sandwich. A slice of provolone is 100 calories, a tablespoon of mayo is 90. So, half the calories or less by choosing the right topping for your sandwich. My sandwich was probably a bit under 300 calories. Swap the horseradish for mayo and add a slice of cheese, 450 calories and almost all the additional calories are fat. that's 50% more calories. It adds up pretty quick.

For dinner i'm making a beef satay stir fry. Lean shaved beef steak (it's cheap, 5oz, 200cal), Trader Joe's (from here on in referred to as TJ's) Satay peanut sauce (1/4cup, 120cal), Brown rice (1c, 240cal), TJ's stirfry vegetable mix (2c, 90cal). Spice it up with sriracha chili sauce (negligible). Dinner in under 700 calories is the goal.

I'm only drinking water or unsweetened teas, so, no calories.

OUTPUT

Made it to the gun show, or rather, the beef jerky and nazi paraphernalia show...didn't get much. Stopped by my range which was closed for a few months because apparently it's possible for some dipshit to miss a 30 foot backstop. Skills are perishable...i was reminded today. Went shopping, picked up some good stuff, should last a while. I need to pick up multivitamins.

This weekend it looks like I'll be doing calisthenics. Apparently we're not hiking this weekend and i'm going to miss Sunday judo because i have some friends coming in. So, 100 pushups/situps/squats then bastards (sprawl, pushup and explode onto your feet, jump in the air, optionally shout "bastard!") until i'm exhausted. It's not a lot of aerobic activity, but it increases lean body mass which boosts your base metabolic rate. You don't jog in this neighborhood unless you want to practice your shooting skills. When i was in classes i was taking mass transit and probably walking 2 miles a day with a light pack as a result...need to make up for that.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    then bastards (sprawl, pushup and explode onto your feet, jump in the air, optionally shout "bastard!") until i'm exhausted. It's not a lot of aerobic activity, but it increases lean body mass which boosts your base metabolic rate.
    Aka "burpees." For fighting, it's important to develop that bursty anaerobic endurance as much or more than aerobic endurance. A good program does both (along with some resistance training too).

What's your ideal weight goal?

(Philadelphia County)

I want to get down to 196 as that's where i was junior year in high school, then drop into the 180' for a more ideal weight. I'm more concerned with getting my body fat down. If i can build lean mass, all the better...that's why i went and ordered the fancy BEI hardware.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I might have to start blogging my "quest for less me" I have lost about 50 pounds in the last few months and trying to get my butt down at least another 40 or 50. My only blogging area is on myspace and I really don't ever use that for anything else so perhaps I will have to use that...not that anyone would read it but here's a link
    Linky

(Philadelphia County)

google's blogger is a good service. I think blogging it helps motivate you.

(Allegheny County)

I did the same thing almost 2 years ago...attempt to get in to the same shape that I was in during High School. I far surpassed that though! It's a great feeling, and it really did make me feel better by seeing before/after pictures. I started out at almost 220, and now am right at 180...after dropping to 170 (I put 10 pounds back on). I weighed myself every 2 months to make sure that I was making progress, but spaced out enough so that I wasn't stressing over it. If you steer clear of the forums, bodybuilding.com has a great way of tracking your results, with charts/graphs, text boxes, and calculators.
    Last edited by itstock; December 15th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

good job. I'm the same body type but was a LOT fatter. At 196 i wasn't particularly well defined. 180 i'd probably look ripped.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the heads up on the google blogger, setup my account and added the blog page link to my signature Since myspace is blocked from work I can still update the blog on google from work.