Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Smith and Wesson Model 66-2 .357 Front Sight Replacement

I have a S&W 66-2 .357 that is about 30 years old and I want to change the plastic bit out on the front sight

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part and have instructions on how to change it out?

NB: The pic above isn't of my personal firearm, it's merely a pic I found on the web. The red plastic part on my firearm is much more faded.
    Last edited by dgill; March 24th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Model 66-2 .357 Front Sight Replacement

Take a look at the front sight as a whole. See if there is a pin somewhere that holds the sight blade in place. If yes, it might be necessary to replace the whole sight blade. Check www.midwayusa.com or brownells for replacements.

If you are looking for a different color or a a larger colored area and the gun in question is not a one of a kind virgin collectors item, you might consider using either one of: a) Sight paint available at the above suppliers, b) Lure & Jig paint from Bass Pro Shop or Dicks or c) Testors enamel available anywhere model airpalnes or cars are sold. Bear in mind that some people object to painted sights.
    Last edited by Brick; March 24th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={11F74E4D-232C-4F67-B4AA-8ADEC1853756}&details_type=1&itemid={82F3F9FD-1A25-4204-A62C-A81FEC061C0A}

This replaces that plastic insert in the front sight with the tritium set up and the rear blade (just one small part of the rear sight assembly, not the whole thing) replaced with the two dots in the rear.

As you know, I prefer just the tritium up front. Shop around (maybe brownells) and you should be able to find just the insert for the front sight. The red insert on your front sight presses out and the above front sight presses in.

Send meprolight an email and ask them for the part number for just the front insert... maybe they will even sell it to you directly.

Here is a picture from one of the fine members over at the Smith and Wesson forum. Notice how the plastic red part of the front sight was pressed out and replaced by the tritium insert. This is the most cost effective way to do it. Of course, you could have the front sight milled off and a dovetail cut, but then you have to get a gunsmith good enough to do it and to cut it to the right height.

Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; March 25th, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

Your gun has a front sight that is milled from the same steel as the barrel. It is not replaceable. Brownells sells kits to cast replacement inserts in place on the gun. Several companies will mill the sight off and replace it wholesale. For the most part S&W red ramps of that era are "you got what you bought."