Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question from Michigan..

First off if this is the wrong spot on this forum i apologize. I looked over the options and decided on this one. If this is the wrong area, i'm sorry.

I will be visiting Philadelphia in June and have a couple of questions. I see that PA has reciprocity with MI in regards to conceal carry permits, so i'm "assuming" that i will be good to go in Philadelphia. Is this correct or does Philly have it's own version of gun laws in your state?

Also, are there any specific restrictions that an "out of towner" should be aware of? Like state buildings, or banks, or certain types restaurants that serve alcohol etc etc?

What about signage as far as businesses? Is there a 'standard' or do you have to watch for anything and everything?

If there is anything you can help me with, i appreciate it and thank you in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question from Michigan..

Your license is good in Philly. PA has preemption of local laws. However state law requires that a person be licensed to vehicle, open, and concealed carry, in Philly. ...the rest of the state only needs a license for vehicle and concealed carry.

There are no sign requirements in law. A property owner can post "no guns" by means of any sorts and it would fall under trespass laws if you violate it.

Here is all you need to know about PA off-limits places. http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    Last edited by knight0334; March 24th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thank You for the link. That's exactly what i was in need of.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh(MI) View Post
    Also, are there any specific restrictions that an "out of towner" should be aware of? Like state buildings, or banks, or certain types restaurants that serve alcohol etc etc?
    None of these are off limits by law here, and you can have a drink with your dinner without running afoul of the law. Pro sports events generally post, and sometimes do a pat down or wand at the entrances. Since you're visiting Philly, you should know that Independence Hall, its visitors center, and the Liberty Bell are Federal and are off-limits for that reason. Likewise the buildings at Valley Forge Park. No duty to inform officer, though the Philly PD sometimes likes to pretend otherwise. Of course if you're concealed, it's not an issue anyway.

If you're driving, note that Ohio has some strange laws about how you can carry in a vehicle. And like Michigan, they're "must inform."

(Philadelphia County)

Philly likes to think they have their own version of laws. They tend to believe that open carry is not legal in the city. It is, however you will likely be confronted by police pointing guns at you if you do it. So, I would advise staying concealed.

PA is pretty non-restrictive. The restrictions are listed in the first post on that thread knight gave you.

One gotcha you should be aware of is the federal ban on guns within 1000' of a school. There is an exception to that for people licensed by the state where the school is located. So carrying on reciprocity would not protect you. And there are not many places in Philly that aren't within 1000' of a school. That said, I've never heard of a license holder from another state being charged with that anywhere.

And as far as signage, you don't need to go looking for it. If you dont' see an obvious sign, don't worry about it. For you to be charged with trespassing, the sign must be conspicuous, or you must refuse to leave after being asked. If you don't see a sign at the entrance, and stay concealed, no worries.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Pro sports events generally post, and sometimes do a pat down or wand at the entrances.
    They also have lockers for firearm storage. So if you're coming for a game, just tell them at the gate you have a firearm to check and they'll take care of you.

Great info folks. I truly appreciate it. I'm mainly going to visit friends that moved to Philly from DC(thank god) and i will be eating my way through your city. It's good to know about the Liberty Bell and the other places that i would of never though of as being Federal PFZs.

(Franklin County)

The only places off limits in PA are court houses, federal facilities, jails and K-12 schools (although the law is rather vague on that). You are A-OK everywhere else including bars, hospitals, restaurants with alcohol etc...

You will need a license to carry (or your reciprocal MI permit) in Philly open or concealed. Philly quite often tries to pass it's own laws, but PA has preemption stating that localities, towns, cities, counties etc... can not pass laws stricter then what the state law permits. Enjoy your trip to Philly. Be careful in federal buildings when you are touring. AFAIK Federal land is ok, just not in the buildings.

I'd recommend printing off this flier and take a few along with you. It's a quick guide to what is legal and what is not.
    Last edited by Pro2A; March 29th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.

I see your up towards the Thumb. I've spent a bit of time up above there, Harbor Beach and Bad Axe to be specific. I like it up there, nice woods and good fishing.

Gonna eat your way through eh? You've come to the right town for that. I suggest for a good cheesesteak, either Pat's, Geno's or Jim's. I prefer Jim's myself. The Reading Terminal Market, it's an old train terminal downtown and has a wide sampling of foods. For anything Asian go to Chinatown. For great Italian at a bargain price, Ralph's on 9th St in the Italian Market.

Since you've come this far you have got to go see The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. For most people it's a picture in a history book, for Philadelphians it's something we used to be able to stick our heads in. No more but it was fun while it lasted. If you like the macabe, go to the Mutter Museum of Medical Oddities. For a fine exploration of an authentic WW2 battleship take the Penn's Landing Ferry over to Camden, and see the USS New Jersey, or stay on the Pennsy side of the river and you can visit the Olympia (sister ship to the Maine) and the USS Becuma, a WW2 submarine. If you venture over to NJ DO NOT take a weapon. No joke, Stalin would have been proud to have been a New Jerseyian. Expect around 7 years in prison for being armed...unless your a gangsta in which case it will be plead down to disorderly conduct. And bring Canadian coins, the beggers love Canadian coins. Wait till you see how happy they get when you give them Canadian coins.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.