Thread: Everybody OK?

(Allegheny County)

Red face Everybody OK?

... after today's tornadoes?

http://www.wpxi.com/video/27300011/index.html

Looked pretty hairy out there!

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Everybody OK?

I hope everyone on that area is ok and checks in.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Westmoreland County)

Irwin got hit with real heavy rain twice, and hail bigger than the reported golf ball size. Was working 3-11 tonite, power went out at 4:30pm, so I am home early. My truck got some dents in the hood and one of the windshield wipers got broken, stopped and bought and replaced them already.

I was lucky, some guys who parked on the opposite side of our plant got more damage. Some of the cars looked like someone smacked their hoods and roofs multiple times with a ball peen hammer.

Hempfield High School had part of the roof blown off, that whole area and near Ft. Allen is supposed to be hit hard. I heard that from co-workers who live in that area when they called home. The fire depts. there have shelters set up. Lots of downed trees blocking the roads had to be cleared for emergency vehicles to get thru. Sounds pretty bad that area, just a few miles from here.

Wife had to turn on our auxiliary/back-up basement sump pumps to keep up, all is OK now. I will have to check our house roof in the morning, last windstorm this bad last April I had to replace a 15 foot section of shingle roll.

I am waiting to see the 11pm news, parts of Allegheny county got hit with hailstorms too. Can't see all the damage until morning.

Edit/Updated: Just to say it was even worse than I expected in the Hempfield/Ft. Allen/Arona areas. Besides the high school, roofs blown off a couple businesses and at least 4-5 houses. Some houses and barns destroyed, LOTS of trees and utility poles down. Thank God there were no serious injuries. Pray for the people who just lost their life's possessions and memories. Insurance can't replace family photos etc.

I am very thankful we were spared from the worst of it by literally just a couple miles, I can live with a few new dents in the truck. That rarely seen yellow pre-funnel cloud/tornado sky is a little scary to see. Especially when no one is exactly
    sure where it will hit.
    Last edited by Irwin Inhabitant; March 24th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Westmoreland County)

Neighbors' houses all but destroyed but my trash cans at the end of my drive weren't even knocked over. Craziness how localized.

(Philadelphia County)

Not much happened in Philly. Heard one blast of thunder. But it was so loud i thought it was an earthquake or the top of my house falling off. Was eating dinner, me and the wife both jumped 3 feet out of our chairs and ran to the window, the cat was stuck to the ceiling and the baby freaked out. Then it was a down pour for 2 minutes and move on.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1713 View Post
    Neighbors' houses all but destroyed but my trash cans at the end of my drive weren't even knocked over. Craziness how localized.
    Glad you were spared.
    That stuff is crazy the way it "chooses" it's victims. A few years ago we had a "microburst" in our neighborhood - we headed to the basement. Afterwards we found that the destruction started just three houses up from us and continued in a path up our street for about 1/2 mile. The tops of the trees in the back yards all looked like they exploded near the tops, but our end of the street was spared from all the major damage.

I'm not far from Monroeville, and yesterday we got hail about as round as your thumb in enough quantity to make the grass look snow covered. We were lucky.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Glad you were spared.
    That stuff is crazy the way it "chooses" it's victims.

That is true. About 6 years ago when I was moving out to Colorado I was passing through Kansas at the height of Tornado season.

Up ahead truckers were talking on the CB about skyscraper sized tornado and for everyone heading west to GTFO of the area.

As soon as they said that over the air, I saw the tornadoes that were directly on the highway in front of me.

At the time I was putting a large 12' trailer behind my truck and it was loaded to capacity. So, it was either I stick it in 4 wheel lo and try busting though a cattle fence on the side of the high way, or turn around and go towards on coming traffic (I couldn't go through the median due to large cement barriers) .
    Just as I began to floor the gas battle so I could bust through the cattle fence and get off the highway, the entire tornado made an almost 45 degree turn and took out a small neighborhood.

One of the scariest moments of my life.

It looked as though the gates of hell had opened up.
    Last edited by Ricochet; March 24th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lancaster County)

There's a reason tornadoes were known as the finger of god.

I saw the storm coming lastnight around 8pm. We had probably the longest roll of really loud thunder I've ever heard, and then it moved on.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.