Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default questions about primers

I was using one of those Lee handheld auto-primers (like this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=413473 except the primer reservoir is round). The instructions with it aren't very good so I'm wondering how hard I need to press with it to make sure the primer is seated properly?

I can push the lever down 1 handed and it seems to seat fine but if I use 2 hands, I can push the lever down a lot farther but it hurts my hands after awhile. it's not very ergonomic.

So how hard do I need to press?

Also, if a primer were to ignite, how dangerous is that?

(Clarion County)

Default Re: questions about primers

The primers need to be seated at least flush preferably .005" deep. High primers are one of the most common causes for misfires. I just run my finger across the bottom of the case to see. The older one I have is made to seat the primer properly when it reaches the end of its stroke. Allot of leverage has never been needed. I keep the mouth of the case pointed away from me even with eye protection on. If you have to ask about the dangers of primers I suggest you find some experienced reloader to help you if possible. Not a slam at all but a good idea for newbies. Years ago there were instances of the tray igniting with federal primers. It seems even Lee warned about it, do not know about now. Since the one you are using is round, it is probably an older model like i have. I need to lightly lubricate the pivot points every blue moon or so.
    EDIT: Looked in "Modern Reloading" by Lee. He talks bout feeling the primer being seated with his tool. "Stop pushing when reisistance builds as it is possible to crush the primer with too much force". I must of been doing it intuitively buy feel all along. The only cases I've ever had trouble setting the primers in, and this was early in my reloading days, were military brass that still have the crimp in the primer pocket. Excessively dirty pockets could make it difficult to seat also.
    Last edited by cephas; December 8th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Cumberland County)

How dangerous is it if a primer were to ignite???

Those little things have quite a bit of energy in them. If one were to go off while you are priming your brass, your ears would surely be ringing. As cephas stated, point the case in a safe direction while seating the primers.

A few years ago, I was loading some 9mm with 125gr cast bullets and Unique. I was using a Lee Pro 1000 progressive press with the Lee AutoDisk powder measure. Unique is a flake powder. Well, a single flake of powder got loose and sandwiched itself between the disk and the powder hopper. This caused the powder measure to jam. I loaded about 10 rounds before I noticed this jam. None of these rounds had any powder. Since I wasn't planning to shoot this ammo in the near future, I made a note and placed it in the coffee can with the rounds before I placed it on the shelf.

When range day came, I grabbed the can of ammo and headed out. I knew that there would be some rounds with "problems", so I was extra careful when shooting.

(That's a long way to get here, but...)
    The primer alone had enough power to lodge the bullet into the barrel far enough that if the pistol did cycle (which it did not), the next round would feed, and the pistol would go into battery for the next shot.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Like the other poster said, they need to be flush or a little under. Use your finger or set the round on something flat and look for wobble, etc.

On my RCBS hand primer, I can seat till they bottom out and then go more if I so desire. You get a feel for whats right after a little. If you go to far, you might see that the small ram in the tool leaves a mark on the primer cup. I have had this happen many times and have never had a problem (I strive NOT to squeeze that hard though mind you).

If you find that the primer wont go in without a guarilla grip, you may have a crimp on the brass, or the brass shifted in the shell holder or something like that. Just go slow in the beginning and don't force anything.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand