Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolf Primers

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Wolf Primers

I did a review of Wolf pistol primers months ago. Just go back in this section of the forum.

The pistol primers in both sizes seemed just slightly taller and wider and needed more force to seat correctly. Decapping could be a pia since some would punch the bottom out and leave the primer cup "walls" stuck fast in the primer pocket.

Reliable firing was good with semi-auto pistols, revolvers were not nearly as good, especially revolvers that have had trigger jobs or lots of use

I have never used Wolf rifle primers but I would judge they are OK, since rifle's firing pins will strike harder than a pistol's.

Here's a link to a follow-up on the original thread. http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...continues.html

You can search further if you want. BTW I classify these as "Substitute Standard C" because I reload for 4 different .45 ACP guns and whatever primer I use has to function in all of them. SO far Federal fills that need best.
    Last edited by Brick; November 17th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Here's a funny story about those wolf primers.

There were 2 different occasions where there were guys badmouthing the Wolf primers on PAFOA and wanting to trade em for any other brand. At the time Wolf was selling for $90 case (5K) and the american brands were at $120 case (3/4 the price). Both times I offered them a trade for what I had of Winchester & Remington at a 4/5 ratio in a face to face trade and both times they insisted they wanted 1/1. They couldn't have been that bad if they expected me to take a bigger loss on a trade that I was already offering at a loss to me.

My general feeling about that was GFY.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the people selling here in the classified section seem to want retail price for their used firearms?

Are there really that many rubes on here that don't know how to shop around or at least use Davidson's Gun Genie as a pricing tool?

Wow, you guys have had much better luck than I. If I had only an occassional Wolf Primer SR not fire I would be annoyed but would work through them. I bought them from PowderValleyInc.com, a very reputable and reasonably priced outfit. My next step is to see if they have more leverage than I. I suspect they do.

(Columbia County)

I have used Wolf large pistol primers and small rifle .223 primers.

Their small rifle primers have all ignited with 100% reliability out of my AR.

The large pistol primers have had very lousy reliability. I had very high percentages of misfires out of several different guns. Every one that failed to ignite did go boom on subsequent firings, however. This leads me to the conclusion that the cub is thicker than other brands, therefore, requiring a harder firing pin strike (explaining the 100% reliability out of my AR).

Both the small rifle .223 and large pistol were more difficult to seat than any other primer brand I've used.

I'll buy small rifle again, but not large pistol. It's just not worth the frustration (unless that is the only brand available).

(Chester County)

I bought a large supply (20k) before the president was elected. Small pistol mostly, but large pistol also. I've used 2-3 k small and the some in large pistol and I have had no issues, except in my lightly tuned revolver which will only shoot well seated federals, so I expect some issues that gun.

I would compare wolf primers to Winchesters as equal.

(Union County)

Arrow Re: Wolf Primers

IIRC David Tubb swears by them. Can't remember WHERE I read about his use of them..... one of the many gun forums I read regularly. do a search using Tubb in your query.

(Bedford County)

Thats all I used to use but last time I ordered from Grafs CCI was cheaper.

Loved Wolf ~ never has one not go bang!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

So from what you guys are saying it sounds like Wolf primers have had sporadic bouts with quality control as sometimes they are fine and other times they do not work well. FYI, almost all of those SR that did not fire the first time would not fire with additional tries. In all my reloading with Rem, Win, Federal, some CCI I have only ever had maybe two total that would not fire. As far as I am concerned these other brands are all 99.999% perfect, which is great. I prefer not to use CCI as it seems the cup and anvil are taller and it is a pain to keep crushing them more with the primer anvil so they sit a bit less than flush like the others do easily. CCI requires more work and additional attention from me, slowing down my reloading.

(Franklin County)

I would stay away from the Large Pistol primers from Wolf. Had 13 of 500 failed. I prefer CCI or Federal....

Default Wolf Primers

We are seeing a pattern here. No other brand has anything but almost non-existent bad primers but Wolf, then there is the welching on the written warrantee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12