Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Elk County)

Default Re: PGCA Pittsburgh Mills Event Center 26-27 March

Quote Originally Posted by 00boraslow View Post
    Anybody see 50cal ammo cans?

I need a few.

YES. One dealer with a TON of them in the back left near the entrance to the Mall. $10 each.

I got there before the 0800 opening and managed to sell a couple shotguns and a 22 rifle in the first 20 mins after opening, and got my prices on all three. Door sharks were swimming a few deep just inside the door.

After unloading the junk, er, shotguns and rifle, I made one pass through, picked up some new 30-40 brass from two different dealers, a nice used suede lined Galco #19 for the Beretta 84/85 for only $18, and a case of 1350 rds Novosibirsk-made 9mm steel case ammo for less than $9 a box of 50. Was OTD by 0915.

Given my objectives, this was a GREAT show.

However IF I were looking to buy firearms, this show would have sucked -- prices were as usual, mostly all higher and some MUCH higher than at dealers locally and betw. here and the show. Example: NIB Stag Model 1 at the show -- $899 plus tax. NIB Stag Model 1 I recently bought from a local dealer -- $749 plus tax. WTF, over?

There are exceptions, a few dealers like Highland Arms have attractive/competitive pricing. The majority are just trying to be businessmen and maximizing revenue through aggressive pricing.

It wouldn't be so bad if the prices were high to offset the expected haggling. However, when asked about price flexibility two dealers this morning predictably screwed up their faces and said, "I can drop maybe $10, but that's it. I'd be selling below what I paid for it." C'mon. Don't be insulting. If you're that poor a businessman working on a $10 margin on a $500 or $700 firearm, you're shipping $$$ out the door with all your show expenses and travel costs, and you wouldn't be coming back after a few shows.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Yep, again I left without buying a firearm, of the few Smith 29's that were there, the only ones that I would have considered were some that a guy had that were more of a collector grade than a shooter, and his prices were more in line with realistic than the others I did find. Had I had a grand to spend on a pre-29 that looked dead nuts new, I would have grabbed that over the freckled nickel 29-3 for $600 or the pretty abused half assed scoped example for a low price of $750 some other guys had.

Like Noah said above, haggle room seemed to be pretty non-existent today. While looking at a few used .22s that I thought might be a good beginner for my daughter, I did have a few guys offer to knock off a few bucks, but even at their "reduced" price, I had to pass.

My best deal of the day was from a guy that I was following down a center aisle that was asking every dealer at at least 10 tables if they were interested in buying any ammo, every single one flat out said no without even asking what he had.
    I asked what he had and he opened up the 50cal can he was carrying, he said he just didn't have any guns in these calibers anymore and he just wanted rid of it all. He only had some Winchester white box .380 that I grabbed for $5 a box and my gunsmith friend bought 115 rnds of various .357, a box and a half of Hornady custom 454, a full box of Win .300Win Mag and 60 rounds of misc .44mag plus the ammo can for $30.

Nobody was interested in my H&K USP mags for $20 ea, but they really wanted me to buy their $25 off brand S&W59 mags.

I did pick up some 38spec brass, a rear sight part I was after and some funky over sized 12ga muzzle brakes that one of which will end up on my 500 and a few ACE holsters.

So, the usual high priced guns with a few bargain priced odds 'n ends mixed in.

(Allegheny County)

I went today and picked up a 2 boxes of fedral HST 165grn 40 cal, they are the 50rnd boxes at 27.50 each. Not a great price but not bad either.

I also picked up a 2nd gen G17 with 3 17rnd mags, nite sights for 375.00. It was a police trade in that seen most of it's life in a holster. I plan on using it for a EDC gun so it will see alot more time in a holster.

I also seen a ton of over priced stuff as seems to be the norm at these shows anymore.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Yep, again I left without buying a firearm, of the few Smith 29's that were there, the only ones that I would have considered were some that a guy had that were more of a collector grade than a shooter, and his prices were more in line with realistic than the others I did find. Had I had a grand to spend on a pre-29 that looked dead nuts new, I would have grabbed that over the freckled nickel 29-3 for $600 or the pretty abused half assed scoped example for a low price of $750 some other guys had.

Like Noah said above, haggle room seemed to be pretty non-existent today. While looking at a few used .22s that I thought might be a good beginner for my daughter, I did have a few guys offer to knock off a few bucks, but even at their "reduced" price, I had to pass.

My best deal of the day was from a guy that I was following down a center aisle that was asking every dealer at at least 10 tables if they were interested in buying any ammo, every single one flat out said no without even asking what he had.
    I asked what he had and he opened up the 50cal can he was carrying, he said he just didn't have any guns in these calibers anymore and he just wanted rid of it all. He only had some Winchester white box .380 that I grabbed for $5 a box and my gunsmith friend bought 115 rnds of various .357, a box and a half of Hornady custom 454, a full box of Win .300Win Mag and 60 rounds of misc .44mag plus the ammo can for $30.

Nobody was interested in my H&K USP mags for $20 ea, but they really wanted me to buy their $25 off brand S&W59 mags.

I did pick up some 38spec brass, a rear sight part I was after and some funky over sized 12ga muzzle brakes that one of which will end up on my 500 and a few ACE holsters.

So, the usual high priced guns with a few bargain priced odds 'n ends mixed in.
    Did you sell your H&K mags? If not, what caliber and capacity? Are they for a full size USP or a Compact USP? Drop me a PM please. Thanks.

I was set up there and thought the show was pretty good. I sold a good bit of stuff and bought more than I sold. Both from other dealers and you nice folks attending the show. Thanks to anyone on here who attended and especially those I delt with.

(Allegheny County)

I was a huge fan of the guy in the corner selling Romanian AK bayonets for $35.

He wanted $45 for the East German ones... because, there is no East Germany any more... so you know... they don't make them anymore.

About summed up the show. That, and the assclown selling Saiga's for $600 uncoverted.
    Which, you can get for, oh... I dunno... $350 online?

I have no idea why I even bothered walking through there. I won't make that mistake again. I bought nothing.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I was a huge fan of the guy in the corner selling Romanian AK bayonets for $35.

He wanted $45 for the East German ones... because, there is no East Germany any more... so you know... they don't make them anymore.

About summed up the show. That, and the assclown selling Saiga's for $600 uncoverted.
    Which, you can get for, oh... I dunno... $350 online?

I have no idea why I even bothered walking through there. I won't make that mistake again. I bought nothing.
    Yeah, I hear ya', if it weren't for the parts I usually need and can't find online, I would probably stay home, but the amusement factor is almost worth the price of admission.

As for the $600 Saiga, that guy takes MSRP to a whole new level, I usually ask a guy like that what brand the two cases of included ammo are with the purchase of the rifle. It's amazing how fast some of those guys can turn on a heel and walk away.

(Allegheny County)

I will say that I got to handle some guns that I previously had been looking at / considering but weren't available in the LGS's. Some CZ's and Kahr's at the one table towards the middle which were priced fair. They were on my look to buy list too. And a Steyr at the back table, the guy didn't know anything about it, but he was more than willing to let me look at it in detail without so much as seeming mildly inconvenienced. Their prices were also fair. He wanted I think like $300 for it. (Early generation in excellent shape) If it was 9mm I would have walked out with it.

My initial post was pretty hot since the majority of the vendors their are out of their minds. But there are a few fairly priced ones there as well and I felt bad not mentioning those that were nice and brought a nice selection of fairly priced and not commonly seen firearms.

But some of the AK's there were ludicrous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123