Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR Barrel Question

Dont forget that with that flattop AR upper you are going to need some sort of rear sight, or an optic. I recommend on of the flip up rear sights, you can use them WITH optics, for a backup sight if your main optic batteries ever go dead or if something happens to your main optic you can remove it (quick disconnect mounts) and keep on rockin. Learn how to shoot the rifle with iron sights first though, it will really make you appreciate your optics later on.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lehigh County)

Good point.

I was actually going to get the upper with a handle/rear sight but it's $75 - a bit steep I think.

So, to save money for now, and to give me options later for optics, I decided to go with the flat top. I'll probably get the flip-up rear sight like you mentioned, they look really slick and it will most definitely give me room for optics in front of it later on if/when I decide to do that (i probably will).

In the meantime, I'll pick up some nice mags (I hear pmags are good for ARs?) and some cleaning supplies, and possibly some tools for the build.

I couldn't sleep last night as I was (still am) so pumped. It says it takes 4-6 weeks for delivery, so I guess I'll have plenty of time to study up on how to piece together a lower. I'm new to the AR-15 - I'm aware of it's history and I've fired one a couple times in the past, but this will be a new experience altogether for me - the rifle seems a bit complicated but I suppose once I handle it and read the manual things will start to become much more clear to me.

(Lancaster County)

Ahh yess, the school girl prom jitters....It's a good day. Just try to keep it together until the rifle gets there. The best thing to do is try to not think about it too much by distracting yourself with your pistol marksmanship until it arrives!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lehigh County)

Haha for sure.

The day it arrives, I'll probably end up staring at it for 3 hours from various angles before I actually start to put it all together.

I didn't realize this would be such a milestone in my life, but I think it has to be...

(Armstrong County)

Everyone should build one, just because.
    Once you have it in your hands and some type of book/web page to follow, it will be no problem. After building one, you will wonder why you never did it before.
    My first time building one, the hardest part was the spring and de-tent for the front take down pin.

(Bucks County)

W320; Might want to look at getting a rear sight that has been cut out of an old carry handle. It mounts on to the rail, and since its made from the standard carry handle, it has the same spec's and elevation markings. And they can be had cheap, less than those fancy BUIS aftermarket models. Does the same thing. You can always upgrade later.

I like the 16" flat top model. Handy, but the barrel is not too short. Long enough for good accuracy.

As to the portion of the barrel with the reduced diameter, IMO this feature should be discontinued on civilian barrels. It can only help to introduce unwanted barrel harmonics, while serving no useful purpose for us civies.

I also agree with the procedure to polish the chamber of a chrome barrel. Just because it's chrome doesn't always mean that the chrome is smooth and shiny. A quick polish job will certainly make the chrome smooth, helping to reduce the jamming of cartridges. Use a shotgun mop brush mounted onto a cleaning rod chucked up in a hand drill. Use some polishing compound, and run the drill for about two minutes. Helps to makes the surface of the chamber smoother.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234