Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on Kahr.....

So my daily carry gun is the Kahr P45 with night sights. I love the slim profile and the light weight. I took it to the range last night and decided there is no need to be a tough guy and carry a .45acp, 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and I could carry more rounds. I went to my local gun store (Ace) and they offered me a straight trade on a brand new Kahr CW9... Basically the same gun in 9mm without night sights (but has a very easy to obtain rear that I like better) and it has a straight rifled barrel vs the poly something or other type of barrel in my current gun.... what do you guys think?

Really not looking for .45 vs 9mm debate as I've already decided on 9mm. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I like the slim profile of the kahr's

edit: Ace refused to negotiate on the price as well which I thought was odd, they have in the past
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Opinions on Kahr.....

Carry a CW40 every day.
    Love it.
    It is the best pistol I own.
    If you are looking for a great carry piece, no need to hesitate with the Kahr.
    It also happened to be a great value at the NIB price ($420 OTD for me).

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    Carry a CW40 every day.
    Love it.
    It is the best pistol I own.
    If you are looking for a great carry piece, no need to hesitate with the Kahr.
    It also happened to be a great value at the NIB price ($420 OTD for me).
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was just concerned with "downgrading" to a lower end Kahr.... but from the stats I can't see that much of a difference. I paid $475 used from Ace a year ago for my p45. the nib price of the cw9 is 425. They are including an extra mag for my gun as well.

(Lancaster County)

The only real downsides I have found is the cost of extra magazines, and the takedown (but you get used to the later).
    If one extra magazine is included in the sale you need to look at it like getting $30 off the purchace price.
    Mine was $420 with one magazine, and I have always felt like it was a great deal for the price.
    I don't really think there is such a thing as a "low end" Kahr. LOL

(Bucks County)

i love my kahr p45 and p380 so i think you are good to go with the 9mm if thats what you want. there's not much wiggle room on the price of new guns in most instances which explains why ace wasn't willing to negotiate.

My first pistol was a P9 and I've had a few since..pm9, p380. There aren't that many differences between the CW and P/PM series...CW has minimal roll marks and a simpler slide avail only in SS, standard barrel and mim slide stop.
    They look enough like and shoot like the higher end P/PM series...for much less $! After owning and carrying a few kahrs, the CW vs P series thing wouldn't bother me at all. I'd be equally happy to own either.

It's a sweet pistol! Shoot it like you stole it!

ps, they're now offering the CM9 (CW version of the PM9), starting next week.
    http://www.kahr.com/kahr-news.asp

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
    So my daily carry gun is the Kahr P45 with night sights. I love the slim profile and the light weight. I took it to the range last night and decided there is no need to be a tough guy and carry a .45acp, 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and I could carry more rounds. I went to my local gun store (Ace) and they offered me a straight trade on a brand new Kahr CW9... Basically the same gun in 9mm without night sights (but has a very easy to obtain rear that I like better) and it has a straight rifled barrel vs the poly something or other type of barrel in my current gun.... what do you guys think?

Really not looking for .45 vs 9mm debate as I've already decided on 9mm. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I like the slim profile of the kahr's

edit: Ace refused to negotiate on the price as well which I thought was odd, they have in the past
    The gun shop is offering you a straight up trade because they are going to put that P45 of yours in the case for 150 bucks more than what the CW9 they are trading you retails.

You picked a caliber that recoils too much for your liking. I am going to take a wild ass guess here and say that it was your first trip to the range with the P45? This is a common mistake, having such a lightweight weapon in such a heavy caliber really does hurt. This is the same reason a common occurrence in the classifieds is a S&W 329PD, (a 24 oz .44 Magnum revolver) with the description "fired only a few times."

If I were in your shoes I would put the P45 up for trade on this forum and others. Perhaps a trade for a P9, instead of the cheaper CW9. Be patient and find the right deal. Otherwise, you are trading in a Cadillac for a Toyota.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cambria County)

I carry a CW40 and love it. I don't think that you can go wrong with the CW series. The extra mag is worth $30, but the price of a new P45 is $600-700. The price of a new CW9 is $390-420. That is a tough choice. If you find the P45 to be a bit much for you, then the CW9 will be a great choice.

Have you looked into selling the P45 yourself? You could probably get more money, but not a lot more. I guess it depends how much your time is worth. Is another $30-$50 worth the trouble of finding a buyer and dealing with the hassle that go along with it. Both the p45 and the CW9 are great carry guns.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The gun shop is offering you a straight up trade because they are going to put that P45 of yours in the case for 150 bucks more than what the CW9 they are trading you retails.

You picked a caliber that recoils too much for your liking. I am going to take a wild ass guess here and say that it was your first trip to the range with the P45? This is a common mistake, having such a lightweight weapon in such a heavy caliber really does hurt. This is the same reason a common occurrence in the classifieds is a S&W 329PD, (a 24 oz .44 Magnum revolver) with the description "fired only a few times."

If I were in your shoes I would put the P45 up for trade on this forum and others. Perhaps a trade for a P9, instead of the cheaper CW9. Be patient and find the right deal. Otherwise, you are trading in a Cadillac for a Toyota.
    He does have a very good point. If you sold the P45 privately you'd have enough cash to buy a CW9 and a nice holster or two and an extra mag or two.

I was going to buy a CW9, but held out and found a great deal on a very nice all steel gun that I am much happier with. It didn't run at first but that was because the dumbasses at that particular establishment gave me the wrong mags with the gun... Thanks fellas.

I may still try the lower end Kahrs, I'd have to own, carry, and shoot both to make a decision either way, but for now the K40 Covert is here to stay.

Last edited by rwb1500; March 22nd, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post

We're as low as we can possibly be on new guns as it is. we have zero wiggle room on Kahrs. sorry but that's the gods honest truth.

Chris S. Ace Employee
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast