Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Where do we start Campus Carry in PA

We live in a Shall Issue state and our students are at the BG's mercy in our colleges and universities! Where do we start to change this? Do we all have to write letters to the different schools to educate them to change their policy in regards to firearms? Can our state reps give us any help? I live in Northampton County and after checking web sites Lafayette, Lehigh U. & Northampton Community College all say no to firearms. It is not like nothing ever happens, how many more dead and injured do they need to read about before they let the students and faculty stop the threat right away?

When seconds count the campus police are only minutes away, truer words were never spoken. If I didn't know better I would think Obama was running these schools.

Default Re: Where do we start Campus Carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Where do we start to change this?
    I am all for Campus Carry with a LTCF.

But with that said, it would be a difficult job. It also varies between state-funded schools and private institutions. State schools would most likely only be influenced at the state level. But private schools would require student/faculty/alum support. So I'd say the best bet is to form a student organization at a private school, and to start writing letters at the state level.

(Cumberland County)

Private colleges are private property, and the owner/board can do as they please.

I could be wrong here, but if they're state schools, getting state taxpayer (my) $$ - shouldn't state law trump school regulation?
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Allegheny County)

Where do we start?
    You could contact these people and see what they think?
    http://www.concealedcampus.org/state-by-state.php
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

You can start by actually doing it. I carried when I went to Pitt. I carried around Oakland when I live there and I still carry when I go back. Of course I mostly open carry but after an initial encounter with an overzealous Pitt cop i never had a problem. I CC'd in class though.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by prophet23 View Post
    You can start by actually doing it. I carried when I went to Pitt. I carried around Oakland when I live there and I still carry when I go back. Of course I mostly open carry but after an initial encounter with an overzealous Pitt cop i never had a problem. I CC'd in class though.
    So your advice is to ignore the law? And then you publicly post that you do it all the time? You don't even use a hypothetical "I have a friend who carrys on campus" line?

OK. I do not agree with campus carry laws, but I do not recommend you break the existing laws.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    You could contact these people and see what they think?
    http://www.concealedcampus.org/state-by-state.php
    This is the correct answer! And reach out to the NRA as they have a new Campus information ability if you help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    So your advice is to ignore the law? And then you publicly post that you do it all the time? You don't even use a hypothetical "I have a friend who carrys on campus" line?

OK. I do not agree with campus carry laws, but I do not recommend you break the existing laws.
    There is no law in PA prohibiting campus carry, it is perfectly legal. You may run afoul of school rules and possibly face trespassing charges if you are a student, but that's it.

I don't understand what law he is ignoring?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

I'd say the most effective way to get campus carry is to organize alums of schools to withhold donating money unless schools change their policies to allow campus carry and/or pledge to donate if they do. It's a win-win: we either get campus carry or in the meantime lots of folks save a lot of money they probably need to save these days anyway.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    There is no law in PA prohibiting campus carry, it is perfectly legal. You may run afoul of school rules and possibly face trespassing charges if you are a student, but that's it.

I don't understand what law he is ignoring?
    The law says a private property owner can declare itself to be gun free.
    As a student you sign something agreeing to it. Or something that says you will abide by their rules.

So where you see a trespassing issue, I see a blatant refusal to acknowledge a lawful property owners rights, that you know to be true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast