Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Default Hunting Regulations?

Alright, so I came across what I believe to be circumstantial evidence of poaching, but is at the very least evidence of irresponsible firearm use at a local park. Having contacted the park officials and my local police, no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer as to whether or not this hunting activity is legal. The members here seem to be very knowledgeable and responsible gun owners, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

So, my question is: (In New Britain Township) Are there any statutes, ordinances, or laws governing the required distance from homes, roads, parks, or places of gathering to discharge a firearm for otherwise legal hunting purposes? If so, what is that required distance?

Thanks in advance for any help/information you can provide.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Hunting Regulations?

From what I know they only laws that come into affect during legal hunting are game commission laws and I believe that they state 25 yards from a road and 150 yards from any structure that may be occupied (houses, barns, sheds, etc.) Municipalities may have ordinances for no discharge of a weapon but they do not include legal hunting activities.

(Bucks County)

So, if I'm hunting deer during deer season, I can discharge a firearm 10 ft from an occupied park, so long as I'm more than 25 yards from the road and 150 yards from a house? That seems kinda ridiculous. First of all, I don't know many guns that can't shoot more than 25 yards and secondly, how does this regulation protect anybody from accidental shooting if you can shoot 25 yards from a road?

(Lawrence County)

Some rifles can shoot a couple miles, should we have to be a few miles from any building or road before we shoot? If that bothers you here is something that will really blow your mind, it is legal for me to shoot across a road while hunting. Common sense and practicing firearm safety is what prevents accidental shootings, the problem is that there is a lack of both with many hunters.

(Lancaster County)

Is someone trolling????
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Bucks County)

@jerkin: Fair point. It just seems odd to me that there are no regulations concerning the discharge of a firearm in extreme proximity to recreational areas. I was hoping that there would be, so that I might contact the relevant authorities and let them deal with this. Either way, I believe poaching is going on and it doesn't matter if you're poaching responsibly or irresponsibly, it's still wrong.

@SharpShooter88: I'm not trolling, I'm just concerned that I or someone else could be accidentally shot. These "hunters" are discharging firearms in the direction of wilderness paths less than 10 meters away. I just thought I'd get some input from y'all before taking my issues up with them directly.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TrailKeeper12 View Post
    So, if I'm hunting deer during deer season, I can discharge a firearm 10 ft from an occupied park, so long as I'm more than 25 yards from the road and 150 yards from a house? That seems kinda ridiculous. First of all, I don't know many guns that can't shoot more than 25 yards and secondly, how does this regulation protect anybody from accidental shooting if you can shoot 25 yards from a road?
    The 25yrd from road is to keep "road hunting" under control, not accidental shootings. ...its the act of hunting on the road, or just hopping out of your vehicle to take a shot.

Parks are really no different from any other land. If done properly a person can hunt right near other people. ...although the other people might not like the muzzleblast. So long as people aren't between the end of the barrel and the target, and a fair distance behind the target, hunting/shooting can take place nearly anywhere so long as it doesn't violate safety zones or local ordinances on discharging a gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I’m not aware of any game law that prevents discharging a firearm near a road. You cannot shoot across a road unless the trajectory is safe (high enough). You need to be 25yds from a vehicle.

150yds from any occupied house, or outbuilding, commercial building, school playground etc, without permission. This includes into the safety zone as well.

Other than that it’s up to local ordinances where they don’t conflict with state law

Your ordinances are here:
    http://www.newbritaintownship.org/ordinances.html
    I only looked briefly, but nothing jumped out.

If you suspect poaching contact the PGC they’ll be happy to investigate.

If no one is poaching, and a safe backstop is being used I see no issue.
    If you’re a former city dweller or just don’t like it…..deal with it. Be happy you live in a state where you can enjoy firearms.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I’m not aware of any game law that prevents discharging a firearm near a road. You cannot shoot across a road unless the trajectory is safe (high enough). You need to be 25yds from a vehicle.

150yds from any occupied house, or outbuilding, commercial building, school playground etc, without permission. This includes into the safety zone as well.

Other than that it’s up to local ordinances where they don’t conflict with state law

If you’re a former city dweller or just don’t like it…..deal with it. Be happy you live in a state where you can enjoy firearms.
    Bolded highlights mine, it's not 25 yards from a vehicle, it's 25 yards from the road but you are sort of right as it only applies if you have exited a vehicle and is because of road hunting, not safety.

Again, local ordinances can not regulate the discharge of a firearm during legal hunting activities, except on borough land, these apply to target shooting.
    Last edited by jerkin; March 22nd, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

I'm not a city dweller and I don't think anyone likes being shot at...

You're saying you wouldn't mind walking through a densely wooded area while people are shooting in your direction from less than 10 meters away?

Also, what do you mean by "safe backstop"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast