Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default is a 26" barrell shotgun a concealed weapon?

Hello. I am making a final payment on a remington 12g super magnumexpress combo shotgun. it comes with a short barrel for slugs, and a 26" barrel for waterfowl hunting. Do I need a lincense to carry to take this shotgun hunting and to the range. Does it matter if it is a 28" barrel? Thanks
    P.s. I live in philadelphia Pa if that makes a difference

(Berks County)

Default Re: is a 26" barrell shotgun a concealed weapon?

Last I read, a shot gun doesn't require a LTCF. Concealed I think the answer is still no. I know you CAN carry one with a LTCF concealed. My memory is short lived at times though. Good question I am anxious to see the replies from the ones more versed in this.

(Delaware County)

I have to laugh at the thread title, I'm sorry. My knee jerk reaction was to think, "Yes, if you conceal it. No, if you don't."
    Junior

(Jefferson County)

While in Philly you need a LTCF to carry(openly or concealed) or transport any type of gun, unless you are going to or from one of the exempted places.

Outside of Philly no license is required to carry the shotgun openly, concealed, or in a vehicle. However you may not transport a loaded shotgun in a vehicle at any time.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

any idea where these exempted places are? what I mean is, Do I need a lincense to carry if I am only going to and from a shooting range, or while driving to hunt and during hunting? I do not wish to keep in my truck for any other reason. Thanks so much for the info

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Hunter Dave View Post
    any idea where these exempted places are? what I mean is, Do I need a lincense to carry if I am only going to and from a shooting range, or while driving to hunt and during hunting? I do not wish to keep in my truck for any other reason. Thanks so much for the info
    Just get the license since you are in Philly and you'll never have to worry about it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

I will try but I imagine I will run inot a few snags. I was originally denied when trying to purchase a firearm so I would asume the same arrests will come up again on their background check aswell. Secondly, I do not have two refferences that live here in Pa. I have lived in NJ my entire life and have only recently moved here and do not know anyone here in the city other then family. My previous arrests were for theft and criminal tresspass. I was arrested for a drug charge but completed a conditional discharge and those charges were dropped. SO....
    I would have to asume that I will run into the same problems I had when I tried to get a gun ( purchase denial was reversed) and I fear if I am unable to get a ltcf, I wont be able to leave my house to go to the range or hunting

(Carbon County)

as long as you dont have it under your trench coat you are fine. just dont have it loaded

(Delaware County)

Its not a matter of if its a concealed weapon or not - its whether its a "firearm" or not.

§ 6102. Definitions:

Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

You do not need a LTCF to carry a shotgun with a barrel over 18" inches concealed or openly as a matter of fact. The only place you need a LTCF is for philly.

Furthermore if u are taking it to and from the range and all you don't need a LTCF anyway as per 6106 exceptions.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a
    firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their
    places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to
    or from their places of assembly or target practice, the
    firearm is not loaded.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Philadelphia County)

perfect! thanks. I do live in philadelphia and will only take it to range and hunting. Will I require anything else as I will have an extra shotgun for my 15 year old son or can I asume that the same laws apply as both shotguns will be owned by me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast