Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ruger .22-45 Recommendations?

Been thinking about getting a Ruger .22-45 (specifically model P512MKIII) to save cost when training. Anyone have any pros/cons to this in general or versus a better solution?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Ruger .22-45 Recommendations?

I am in the same situation and so will just sit back at monitor.

(Bucks County)

Get the new one with the threaded barrel and replaceable 1911 grip panels.

ETA: The one you picked out is probably the best bang for your buck. I've never had experience with the Ruger MKIII's but they have an outstanding reputation. I own a Browning Buckmark which I would highly recommend. I much prefer the ergonomics of the Browning over the Ruger, but YMMV and you should buy what feels best for you. One thing you might not like about the Ruger, is the mags don't drop free.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; March 21st, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

(Butler County)

I was also considering a Ruger 22/45 for basically the same reasons you are. I ended up with a Browning Buckmark since I found a good deal on a used one ($200 OTD). I couldnt be happier with it. It feeds anything and shoots really well.

(Chester County)

I own a Ruger MkIII 22/45. It gets by far the most range time of any of my guns.

I've put a fiber optic front sight on mine as well as a target trigger and sear. Two pounds of trigger pull and next to zero reset is a mighty fun thing.

In the past I've had a red dot scope on it for rapid fire plinking fun. Couple all this with an Ultimate Clip Loader ( http://zaliznockindustries.com/outdoors.htm ) and you can burn through a bulk pack of .22lr ammo remarkably fast.

Yes it was initally a bit of a pain to reassemble the first couple times I tore it down for cleaning, but now its a breeze.

I love that the grip angle is the same as a 1911 and the controls are in the about the same place too. Someday I'll own a quality 1911... that is if I can stop buying other guns first.

The Ruger will shoot circles around a Walther P22 (even with the 5 inch barrel). It's also a workhorse. It'll be the gun you pass down to your grandkids.

Anyway... Buy one... You won't be disappointed.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

I agree my 22/45 is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have probably put about 1000 round through it with only a few ftf or fte. Its also the type of gun you can put in anyones hands and they will do good with. I have also fitted mine with a red dot and any can within 25 yards is doomed.

In regard to the buckmark, does yours have a magazine disconnect? I am not a fan of them, and that is a downside to the MKIII.

Do you know exactly what model yours is? I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOp4 View Post
    In regard to the buckmark, does yours have a magazine disconnect? I am not a fan of them, and that is a downside to the MKIII.

Do you know exactly what model yours is? I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison.
    Yes, mine came with one but it was easily removed. If I recall correctly all you need is a flat head screwdriver. Take the grips off and remove a small part, that's it. If you choose to do that, I would not sell the gun in that condition. Selling a gun with a safety device removed is asking for legal trouble. Or even letting someone borrow it.

I have the URX stainless with the slab-sided barrel.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; March 21st, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

With the Browning Buck Mark, if you want to replace the barrel with a longer one it is easier. The Ruger's barrel is attached to the receiver which has the serial number on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Yes, mine came with one but it was easily removed. If I recall correctly all you need is a flat head screwdriver. Take the grips off and remove a small part, that's it. If you choose to do that, I would not sell the gun in that condition. Selling a gun with a safety device removed is asking for legal trouble. Or even letting someone borrow it.

I have the URX stainless with the slab-sided barrel.
    Thats too bad they both have it. If you had to recommend one as is OOTB which would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    With the Browning Buck Mark, if you want to replace the barrel with a longer one it is easier. The Ruger's barrel is attached to the receiver which has the serial number on it.
    Are you sure? I thought Tactical Solutions made a few different ones that worked for the Ruger. The Pac-Lite being one... can't remember the other name... "something"-lite. 5.5 on the MKIII is probably good enough for me anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast