Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Which Sig P229 model to CC?

After owning a P239 for some time, I have decided to go for its slightly larger brother, the P229. There are many reasons why I finally arrived at this decision, and that can be read at PAFOA here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/12...ml#post1533057

Anyway, after spending some time yesterday shooting the P229 in .40S&W and absolutely loving it, I've decided to trade in my P239 .40S&W. However, there's a slew of different P229 models to choose from, and I'd like to know what model P229 you guys recommend for conceal carry.

For instance:

1) Is the SRT trigger system something I should be looking into? How about the DAK model?

2) Is the SAS Gen 2 worth the extra premium for a melted slide and other improvements for CC'ing?

3) I've read that beavertails on Sig's are unneccsary and can be dangerous when CC'ing, yet offer perceived recoil improvements and other advantages (more can be read on that here: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/12...-question.html

4) Sig offers several different night sight options to choose from, SIGLIGHT to Truglo to TFO, etc. etc. What's the difference, and what is recommended for CC'ing?

Essentially, I'm looking for a P229 model that will offer good conceal carry characteristics, matched with good firing characteristics. Do options like SRT, DAK, etc. really make a difference?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fossil4Life; March 20th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Which Sig P229 model to CC?

SAS sig anti snag

(Lackawanna County)

its the best looking 229 IMO i used to own one in a 9mm and it was my favorite gun sold it cause i no longer trust the 9mm for self defense

(Lackawanna County)

yes SRT is def something you will want. Night sights dont matter that much u should buy a combat flashlight and bring it everywhere u bring ur gun. More than 50% of time u will be using ur gun in the night. Stay away for DAK. DA/SA are more accurate because you dont have to pull the trigger as far

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    Night sights dont matter that much u should buy a combat flashlight and bring it everywhere u bring ur gun.
    Yeah because flashlight batteries never die and bulbs never burn out....Also...standard sights are just as easy to see in the dark as night sights.

Really? Get night sights on your gun. They are a must for carry.

(Butler County)

A lot of it will depend on your personal preference. What do you like, what will you shoot well? Some will say they love the DAK, others will tell you to avoid it. Yes, the DAK is a slightly longer, heavier pull but it's consistent aiding in muscle memory and (for me) forces me to focus more on my sights and keeping them on target when I shoot. The DA portion of a DA / SA is longer and heavier than the pull on a DAK and the the SA portion is MUCH shorter and lighter. I DO NOT like the Sig short trigger. I thought I would be able to keep it on the SAS, and have so far, but after running it again on Saturday I've decided that a standard trigger (for me) is in order.

The SRT is extremely smooth but (to me) VERY light. To the point that I sold a 229R Elite that I had (kicking myself, should have just converted it) and converted a Gen II SAS over to DAK. I'm in the process of converting my 228 over to DAO and will eventually convert my 239 over to DAK as well.

I have SigLights on all of my Sigs except the 228 which came with TFOs and I haven't decided if I like them or not. Personally, I want night sights on all of my pistols.

Is the SAS worth the premium? I can't really answer that since I get LEO pricing and got the SAS I have for a song. I kinda don't think so in the end though. Yes, it's melted and it's smooth and all that but I never had an issue with my 229R DHS model when carrying it or when running it through 2 600+ round classes. The SAS is purty for sure though. I prefer a rail on my pistols where is makes sense. Are you going to want it to ride night stand duty as well? If so, you may want a rail for attaching a light or a light laser combo (your choice, I'm just saying).

The beavertail on the Elite is nice I think. I don't think that it really offered anything more than a perceived reduction in recoil but I liked it. It could make the pistol a little more difficult to conceal.

The Nitron that most the pistols wears is fairly durable but also chips leaving bare spots. The mag well of my DHS model is pretty beat up but that's it so far. The Elite that I had exhibited multiple chips. Not bad, but not great either given the cost.

If money was an issue then I'd be happy with a 229R CPO. I would suggest checking the classifieds here and also over at SigForum, you can find excellent deals on used pistols if you look and may be able to work out a trade for your 239 as well.

All that said, if I was in the market for another one, which... well I might be depending on whether I keep the SAS, I'd go with a 229 Elite stainless. With night sights and would either order it in DAK or convert it once I got it.

I may have some pics floating around, if I can find them I'll post. If I can find my camera I'll take some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    All that said, if I was in the market for another one, which... well I might be depending on whether I keep the SAS, I'd go with a 229 Elite stainless.
    Any reason with the stainless finish? You mentioned that Nitron finishing chips, so I assume this is the reason you would go the stainless route, correct? My only worry with stainless is that it scratches easily and blemishes are more prone to being noticed.

Also, are you able to drop in a .357 barrel in the .40S&W model of this pistol like you can with other Sig P series?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    I may have some pics floating around, if I can find them I'll post. If I can find my camera I'll take some new ones.
    Excellent! I look forward to them when you get a chance to post them.

So on to the main meat of my post. First things first. I've seen mention of 229R CPO and DHS. What is CPO and DHS?

I do plan to use the P229 for nightstand duty, so rails are probably wise. I know the SAS Gen 2 doesn't have this, which leaves pretty much every other 229 model available to choose from.

However, a great number of these models with rails also have beavertails. Now, I've read a good bit of the pros and cons of a beavertail when CC'ing, and as was mentioned earlier, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, it's simply user preference. With that said, hopefully the next time I get down to the range they have a beavertail P229 that I can rent to try out the difference.

I very much like the P229 Elite Dark, but the problems I have with the pistol are two fold. The first is the included beavertail, which can be a problem if I end up not wanting one in a CCW. The second is the fact that I will be paying a hefty premium (something like $180) for Hogue-branded all aluminum Sig grips. I simply can't justify a price tag on grips that I may or may not like, so this alone is a definite turn off.

In any event, My short list of P229 models comes down to the following, in no particular order:

P229 (E29R-40-BSS)
    P229 SAS Gen 2 (E29-40-SAS2B)
    P229 Elite Dark (E29R-40-DSE)
    P229 Elite Stainless (E29R-40-SSE)

Any help paring these pistols down (or suggestions for the inclusion of other models) would be appreciated!

(Monroe County)

Other than Nights sights get the plain 229, everything else is unneccesary , the 229 is such a great gun it hardly needs anything added to it. Good to go out of the box. . Spend the extra MONEY ON AMMO AND RANGE TIME

(Montgomery County)

I very recently owned a 220 elite stainless and a 229 elite. If you are going to carry don't get the stainless as its a 40 oz gun. If you are going to use it for home defense get the stainless. The extra weight controlled recoil in my 220 and I bet it will do the same in the 229. Follow-up shots in the 220 stainless were very fast due to the weight.

I think you want the SRT and the new trigger. I have also shot a Sig that got a factory trigger job and that was coin well spent.

If you have any issue with the size of the grip get the E2. Makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    I think you want the SRT and the new trigger.
    Which "new" trigger are you referring to on the Sig?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast