Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

It would appear that I won't be getting an answer, so I went out and found my own.

You will have to be logged into The AK Forum to view this link.

Here are the cliff notes:
    A couple months ago, I checked all the stripped barrels I had on my bench with the shank ends of my drill bit set. These were the closest fits.

Perhaps these rifles are designed to be 'over-gassed' to increase the reliability of the action to cycle in less than ideal conditions, or maybe those soviets just didn't know any better either.

(Allegheny County)

Of course they are over gassed. Some more than others. With the variance in parts, fit, and guide rail height, many probably wouldn't work if they weren't.

But there's a big difference between walking over to a rack of AK's and picking another up when yours breaks, and owning one as a civilian. Most function, but no where near the optimum level. Conscripts are viewed just as disposeable in the eastern bloc. Again, something I don't think applies to civilian ownership of firearms.

They aren't just overgassed. They are tremendously overgassed in some cases. You can still tailor that down to slightly and have all of the reliability, and none of the side effects.

(Allegheny County)

Edited to make a point without being an A-hole.

First, I'm sorry that your Lancaster is getting beat up that badly. I would heed the advice that some of the others gave you and try to reduce the gas. I would do this sooner than later.

Second, I hate to rub your nose in this but you were totally had my friend. For $1500 you could have had two Lancasters and some ammunition. Do not EVER go to a gun show unless you know exactly what you want and exactly what it is worth. Only if you are very knowledgeable are you able to go to a gun show without a specific target and get a good deal on something.

That is why I quit going to gun shows long ago. Most vendors see people like you coming and don't have to sell knowledgeable enthusiasts anything at reasonable prices because they know some "insert favorite word for moron" is going to come by and pay asking price.

I guess that there is no sense crying over spilt milk but for everything that is good and holy, get a clue before spending your hard earned money.
    Last edited by jeo556; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: initial post was not polite
    Jeo556

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the good advice. I filed off the burr and touched up the receiver with black paint. I've given up on reaching Lancaster Arms. I just received a Wolff extra-power recoil spring and a Blackjack buffer. Since I don't have to worry about rivets, I might try it this way before I tap the gas port.
    John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234