Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Hi
    I bought what I thought to be a quality Lancaster Arms AK-47 full stock #LM01034 for a price of $1594 (with Tax) at the Harrisburg gun show on 9-11-10. I only got to shoot it twice since then using less that 150 rounds of Wolf ammo. I always lubricated the gun almost monthly and also cleaned and lubricated the gun before and after shooting. It shot flawlessly and WAS my favorite weapon.I noticed after the shooting on 3-12-11 upon cleaning the weapon a divet on the bolt carrier and a matching defect on the receiver. I sent the manufacturer this information that I'm posting here. I haven't heard back from them, yet. I'd like you opinions. Enclosed are 3 pictures.
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    lebanon, Pennsylvania
    (Lebanon County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,698
    Rep Power
    3977184

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    looks like the recoil spring isn't up to par, or it's getting to much gas.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    339923

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    looks like the recoil spring isn't up to par, or it's getting to much gas.
    Yup. I'd contact Wolff and get a replacement recoil spring.

    After that, you could do what I did. If you search the gunsmithing section here for my thread about severe recoil / through the stock you can see I installed a restrictor in the gas block to drop the orifice size at the gas port. This will greatly reduce carrier slamming into the rear trunion.

    The people who suggest "buy a recoil buffer" ignore. It will not fix your problem, if anything it will make it worse.

    As it will take up space and make the bolt carrier hit SOONER with even more momentum. Even if it dissapates this slightly by being an absorbent material... it won't stop the gun from pounding the rear rivets out eventually.

    I found that even by reducing the gas port size a considerabla amount the gun still functions extremely well. (no reliablility issues, or extraction problems) Even in the bitter cold, and when the gun is smoking hot. It will also greatly reduce the amount of percieved recoil if you are getting trunion hits, as the actual recoil of the round will be all you feel. Not the heavy secondary rearward smash of the bolt carrier.

    As a bonus, you can do the modification for the cost of a tap, and a few set screws. So we're talking <$10 here.

    I've since done quite a few guns this way and all saw a reduction in bolt carrier speed / zero trunion hits, and no more chucking empties into orbit.

    Hope this helps.
    Put up, or SHUT up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    phila, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    7730

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Quote Originally Posted by JOB View Post
    Hi
    I bought what I thought to be a quality Lancaster Arms AK-47 full stock #LM01034 for a price of $1594 (with Tax) at the Harrisburg gun show on 9-11-10. I only got to shoot it twice since then using less that 150 rounds of Wolf ammo. I always lubricated the gun almost monthly and also cleaned and lubricated the gun before and after shooting. It shot flawlessly and WAS my favorite weapon.I noticed after the shooting on 3-12-11 upon cleaning the weapon a divet on the bolt carrier and a matching defect on the receiver. I sent the manufacturer this information that I'm posting here. I haven't heard back from them, yet. I'd like you opinions. Enclosed are 3 pictures.
    John
    $1600 for an ak? i am curious, what makes it worth so much as compared to run of the mill ak's?
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,934
    Rep Power
    339923

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    $1600 for an ak? i am curious, what makes it worth so much as compared to run of the mill ak's?
    I didn't even see that. For that money it should have came with a prepaid escort.

    That's absolutely ponderous. For another $400 you could have gotten a mint RPD.
    Put up, or SHUT up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    lebanon, Pennsylvania
    (Lebanon County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,698
    Rep Power
    3977184

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    that's only 3 or 4 romanians.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I didn't even see that. For that money it should have came with a prepaid escort.

    That's absolutely ponderous. For another $400 you could have gotten a mint RPD.
    Or 2 Arsenal AKs, instead of a Lancaster POS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    453152

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Your gas port is likely to large. Common problem on that Lancaster you got there. Lancaster has well known issues with their guns and equally poor customer service. You got taken to the cleaners on that, about 3 times the price of what a respectable AK runs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pershing County, Nevada
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    4688

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    Your gas port is likely to large. Common problem on that Lancaster you got there. Lancaster has well known issues with their guns and equally poor customer service. You got taken to the cleaners on that, about 3 times the price of what a respectable AK runs.
    I recently bought a Lancaster Arms AK with a quadrail and paid about $550.00 transfer and sales tax included. No issues at all. I believe the OP got hosed paying that price.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Exton, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    301
    Rep Power
    97267

    Default Re: Lancaster Arms AK-47 damage

    Measure the gas port hole size with either gage pins (if you have access to them) or with drill bits gently by hand (not in the drill of course). See if the 1/8 drill bit fits in there. AKbuilderdotcom uses a .1275 diameter drill for drilling gas ports. I use 1/8 (.125). So if the 1/8 (.125) bit slides in with almost no wiggle, the port is sized OK. Next drill size that an average person will find is 9/64 (.1406...) If the 9/64 slides in there you will know the gas port hole is too large. Then you can follow Asmo's guide to port reduction.

    Try a Wolff (2 f's in Wolff) Extra Power recoil spring. Brownells has them.

    From the photo it looks like a milled receiver. If the rifle functions OK, then file off the burr and keep blasting away. Trunnion hits on stamped receivers can loosen up the rivets; while trunnion hits are an issue on a milled receiver, its even more of an issue on stamped receivers with the riveted structure.

    Sorry to hear about the insane price.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Want To Sell] Lancaster Arms AK
    By FromMyColdDeadHands in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: July 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
  3. Lancaster Arms: 114 Days for an AK
    By Warsaw Pact in forum Shops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 13th, 2010, 10:02 AM
  4. [CLOSED] New unfired AK 47 Lancaster Arms 3060
    By cybersurf in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
  5. Lancaster Arms AK47 plus extras (PIC ADDED)SOLD
    By Dexter in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops